First Fountain Pen Mishap... With My Twsbi

millerb7

If the ink supply was low, setting it next to the bottle could cause the air inside the ink chamber to contract, drawing more air inside. When it warmed, the air would again expand and if the ink was closest to the exit...

Except he said it was full to the hilt. Very strange indeed.

Just thinking out loud here -- not remembering my chemistry and all :vbg: ... Don't liquids also expand at the freezing end of the spectrum (I'm thinking water in pipes, beer or soda in the freezer, etc.); wouldn't a water based ink do the same?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• millerb7

• Silvermink

• watch_art

• Lsarios

The best way to describe the first problem is for you to look at this youtube video:

My pen had the same problem as the old feeder adaptor. Now Speedy told me that no pens shipped with the old feeder adaptor so I am not sure what was causing this. The pen would completely stop writing and I had to tap it or shake it until the ink flowed down the feeder. Very frustrating! Next I figured I would take it home and completely disassemble and clean it to see of that would fix the problem. I watched speedy's video several times before attempting. When I tried to remove the piston assembly, it would not budge. It was put on so tight during production assembly that the metal wrench supplied would just strip the plastic so I stopped trying. I would also say that I have been able to restore most of my own pens including a pair of Sheaffer snorkles and the most difficult of all a Sheaffer plunger.

So now I have a pen designed to be taken apart that will not come apart! :gaah:

Were you turning the wrench in the correct direction? The piston mechanism has a left handed threading. Instead of righty tighty lefty loosey, it's lefty tighty righty loosey.

Yes I was turning it the right way . I watched the video several times before I attempted.

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

My TWSBI had the no flow ink problem once. With all the inks I've used in it, Montblanc, Pelikan, Noodlers, Diamine, uh, Parker... ummm... yeah, the ONLY 'ink' that wouldn't flow in the pen PROPERLY, like in the video, was homemade ink that I mixed up with food coloring and water.

When I dumped it and put reg'lar ink back in it, it worked just fine. So... maybe the ink.

I was using Montblanc Royal Blue, the ink that has solved every flow problem on every pen I have ever tried it on.

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

I'm sorry for your los--wait, what? A little ink got in the cap? Sheesh, I'd hate to hear what happens when you notice a little smudge from your fingers and have to wipe it off, much less if you did actual damage to your pen.

Hee. If you could hear me, you would know that I was saying that with my Funny Voice.

But, yeah, it's not a "sad, sad day" when a little ink gets in the pen's cap. Or maybe I should have your problems. *Rimshot* Bahzzzah!*

*Funny sound to lighten the tone

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Just thinking out loud here -- not remembering my chemistry and all :vbg: ... Don't liquids also expand at the freezing end of the spectrum (I'm thinking water in pipes, beer or soda in the freezer, etc.); wouldn't a water based ink do the same?

Most substances, liquids included, contract when colder. Water is an odd substance. By rights, it shouldn't even be a liquid. It's too light. But, thanks to an odd chemistry in which the hydrogen atoms can't quite decide which oxygen they want to belong to, the whole mess ends up bound together. It's this same odd chemistry that makes water expand as it freezes solid. Just getting cold wouldn't do it.

Hahaha. Yeah I've been blessed so far with all my pens/inks. I'm pretty meticulous with them. Always flushing, cleaning, etc. I find that as half the fun. I always fill via syringe so I never have any messes at all. In my "VERY" lucky FP world, this was quite a mishap lol.

Im not sure what I was thinking putting it into the bag on the ice heh. No coffee this morning. Thats who I blame!

So whats the weirdest mishap you folks have had? Bad stories etc?

I'm sorry for your los--wait, what? A little ink got in the cap? Sheesh, I'd hate to hear what happens when you notice a little smudge from your fingers and have to wipe it off, much less if you did actual damage to your pen.

Hee. If you could hear me, you would know that I was saying that with my Funny Voice.

But, yeah, it's not a "sad, sad day" when a little ink gets in the pen's cap. Or maybe I should have your problems. *Rimshot* Bahzzzah!*

Seriously. :)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Don't liquids also expand at the freezing end of the spectrum (I'm thinking water in pipes, beer or soda in the freezer, etc.); wouldn't a water based ink do the same?

water gets denser as temperature drops until about 34 degrees without additives or additional pressure. I dont have any idea what the pigment and other stuff does to that.

I dont know fountain pen design that well, but here is an unlikely scenario:

ink is chilled, air present in tank contracts, reducing pressure.

pen is jostled, air comes in to equalize pressure.

ink fills the channel into the nib, blocking air flow.

water warms up, ink warms up, air warms up and expands, pushing ink out of the nib.

Im not sure the design of the pen would allow for that.

Edited by redisburning

Water does expand below 4 degrees C (negative thermal expansion coefficient). So if the ink chamber was full, and the pen was by the frozen water bottle...

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Oh, honey, I'd be afraid to tell you. I wouldn't want to be responsible for your jaw breaking when it hits the floor....

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I dropped my P51 nib down at school one day, knocking the tines completely over at a 90 degree angle. Ugh... bought a replacement nib though. Easy fix. But very sad about it. Other than that, not too many problems... except for melting the section on my green gremlin 1930s Sheaffer balance... ugh... but I fixed it... sorta.

too much heat will melt it if it's celluloid like my old sheaffer's is. i heated it back up to warping, pushed against the nib and feed to 'straighten' it out (so i could cap it) and held it there until it cooled off. seemed like it took forever, but I can use my favorite beater pen again! :thumbup:

I melted part of the feed on one of my Lamy AL-stars while trying to "gently heat" it to remove a stuck nib. And then I burned myself on the hot nib, too. :headsmack:

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

No!! You use scotch tape on lamy nibs. And to get the feed out you put it on a knock out block and hit it with a nail. A blunt nail. THat fits the end of the feed perfectly.

No!! You use scotch tape on lamy nibs. And to get the feed out you put it on a knock out block and hit it with a nail. A blunt nail. THat fits the end of the feed perfectly.

I had tried the Scotch tape and the rubber band by this point already. It was REALLY on there.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

a small thin blade between the flat part of the nib, under where it says lamy, M, and the section.

I'll try that if I ever have trouble with one again - fortunately, they've all been pretty well-behaved since then. The one whose feed I partially-melted actually still writes fine, believe it or not.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked: