First Fountain Pen Mishap... With My Twsbi

millerb7

So, had my TWSBI loaded up to the hilt with Noodler's HoD. All has been so great since I started using fountain pens and especially the TWSBI.

So today, instead of carrying the TWSBI on me like normal, I put it in my backpack. The issue is, I have one of the backpacks that holds water as well. I normally freeze my water the night before... I think you can see where this is going :)

I went to grab the TWSBI out, and apparently the coldness of sitting against the water expanded something, and the ink had sprayed out of the nib like a fountain haha (not literally). Luckily the TWSBI cap seems to be rather tight as not a single drop escaped the cap. But the cap was full with about 1/2 HoD ink. Needless to say, it was quite a mess.

Apparently I need to pay closer attention to where I'm tossing my pens.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• millerb7

• Silvermink

• watch_art

• Lsarios

Yeah, it would have been a disaster if the TWSBI cap hadn't done it's job. I was super thankful for that. Another reason I've made it my everyday workhorse pen.

The TWSBI was engineered very thoughtfully and with a lot of input from this forum...it's good to see that it holds up so well under circumstances like this. :)

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

So, you froze the pen in the freezer? Or just the water container? :blink:

-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4954883548_bb6177bea0_m.jpghttp://www.clubtuzki.com/sites/default/files/icon24.gifhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/5152062692_8037fd369c_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5152115656_e8d75849f1_t.jpg

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

I've also had a few major issues with my TWSBI. Very disappointing and frustrating :gaah: but I am hoping that my pen was an anomaly. I gave the TWSBI such high praise over the Lamy Al-Star :unsure: now I am having doubts.

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

In general, how much of a factor is cold for FPs? I have to walk a bit in the winter up here...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

The best way to describe the first problem is for you to look at this youtube video:

My pen had the same problem as the old feeder adaptor. Now Speedy told me that no pens shipped with the old feeder adaptor so I am not sure what was causing this. The pen would completely stop writing and I had to tap it or shake it until the ink flowed down the feeder. Very frustrating! Next I figured I would take it home and completely disassemble and clean it to see of that would fix the problem. I watched speedy's video several times before attempting. When I tried to remove the piston assembly, it would not budge. It was put on so tight during production assembly that the metal wrench supplied would just strip the plastic so I stopped trying. I would also say that I have been able to restore most of my own pens including a pair of Sheaffer snorkles and the most difficult of all a Sheaffer plunger.

So now I have a pen designed to be taken apart that will not come apart! :gaah:

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Good thing the cap held the ink, I guess.

I wasn't super thrilled with my TWSBI either. Since they've come out it seems they keep 'improving' different aspects of the pen. I wish they'd improved everything before they sold it.

Edited by Vincent1278

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

Based on that video (but not my pen's performance for me), I may have a faulty feed adapter, too.

OTOH, I would think that different inks might flow differently within the pen. For instance, Noodlers Bulletproofs usually are repelled by plastics.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

That's why God invented shirt pockets! :roflmho:

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

I love my TWSBI. So far it's been fantastic. I can't fault it for basically laying it on a block of ice for 3 hours. Haha. That's my fault.

I'm happy it held the ink in the cap. But so far, the pens been SUPER fantastic for me. I use it while at work as my workhorse, it gets abused often. Held up so far.

That's why God invented shirt pockets! :roflmho:

No kidding. Been in there 95% of the time. No idea why I put it in the bag this time.

If the ink supply was low, setting it next to the bottle could cause the air inside the ink chamber to contract, drawing more air inside. When it warmed, the air would again expand and if the ink was closest to the exit...

In general, treat FPs in cold like you would in an airplane: keep them full, carry nib up and you shouldn't have problems. You might not otherwise, but the aforementioned is tried and true and cuts the odds of a problem way down.

The best way to describe the first problem is for you to look at this youtube video:

My pen had the same problem as the old feeder adaptor. Now Speedy told me that no pens shipped with the old feeder adaptor so I am not sure what was causing this. The pen would completely stop writing and I had to tap it or shake it until the ink flowed down the feeder. Very frustrating! Next I figured I would take it home and completely disassemble and clean it to see of that would fix the problem. I watched speedy's video several times before attempting. When I tried to remove the piston assembly, it would not budge. It was put on so tight during production assembly that the metal wrench supplied would just strip the plastic so I stopped trying. I would also say that I have been able to restore most of my own pens including a pair of Sheaffer snorkles and the most difficult of all a Sheaffer plunger.

So now I have a pen designed to be taken apart that will not come apart! :gaah:

Were you turning the wrench in the correct direction? The piston mechanism has a left handed threading. Instead of righty tighty lefty loosey, it's lefty tighty righty loosey.

My TWSBI had the no flow ink problem once. With all the inks I've used in it, Montblanc, Pelikan, Noodlers, Diamine, uh, Parker... ummm... yeah, the ONLY 'ink' that wouldn't flow in the pen PROPERLY, like in the video, was homemade ink that I mixed up with food coloring and water.

When I dumped it and put reg'lar ink back in it, it worked just fine. So... maybe the ink.

If the ink supply was low, setting it next to the bottle could cause the air inside the ink chamber to contract, drawing more air inside. When it warmed, the air would again expand and if the ink was closest to the exit...

Except he said it was full to the hilt. Very strange indeed.