Edison Pearl

Yuki Onitsura

Edison Pearl (Black Ebonite)

I've been up to my neck recently with university this and prac placement that so I haven't really had as much time as I usually do to browse these hallowed halls. Actually, I should probably be working on some presentations or reports or something but instead, I'm going to write a review on the Edison Pearl for four reasons.

2. Reviews are more fun to write than reports
  3. I had the day off and it was nice and sunny. Perfect opportunity to snap some photos =)
  4. I promised Brian that I'd post a review
  5. The pen is almost orgasmic

So without further ado...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs793.snc4/67354_483733416022_644991022_7510993_6614860_n.jpg

Presentation - 6.5/10

Nothing really special here. A nice long box in red/brown faux crocodile leather. Inside of the box is white and the inner base is padded with felt (or something like that). The top of the inside has 'Edison Pen Co.' and the Edison Pen Company logo printed on it which I thought was a nice touch and serves as a nice reminder that this isn't just some random box picked up at a shady warehouse.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs416.ash2/69469_483732761022_644991022_7510971_7862447_n.jpg

The box.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs897.snc4/73016_483732836022_644991022_7510973_1802863_n.jpg

The box opened with the Pearl inside.

Appearance - 10/10

Appearance is always going to be a very subjective thing but when you order a custom made pen, as I did here, then you can pretty much make it look the way you want it. When I was deciding what colour and material I wanted, it dawned on me that I didn't own a single LBP (little black pen). I was also quite curious about what ebonite felt like in the hand because I'd heard all sorts of wonderful things. So I opted for glossy black ebonite (and boy is it glossy!). For those worried that the glossy finished may get scratched, Brian has offered to buff any imperfections out of the pen at the cost of return shipping so bonus points there for excellent service.

Next step: clip or no clip? The pen does look much sleeker without a clip but being the absent-minded klutz that I am sometimes, I didn't much fancy the idea of having a rather pricey pen just roll off the table, I opted for a clip in rhodium because I think it gives it a cleaner, more modern look. I'd heard of a black/rhodium duotone nib from one of the reviews on FPN and fired off an email to Brian about it because I figured that would look steaksauce with black ebonite. Alas, those nibs didn't have the Edison Pen Company logo engraved on them so I went with the standard 18k rhodium coloured nib.

One important thing to note is that the pen is deceptively large. Although it is the baby of the Edison Pen Company's range, it is still a full sized pen. It's roughly the same length as a Visconti Opera Club and noticeably wider.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs413.ash2/69189_483733221022_644991022_7510987_2529009_n.jpg

Size comparison. From left to right: Esterbrook SJ, Waterman Carene, Pelikan M400, Edison Pearl, Visconti Opera Club, Pilot M90

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs031.snc4/33929_483732901022_644991022_7510975_1496844_n.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the reflection of the grass. The engraving on the barrel is also a nice touch.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs793.snc4/67355_483733001022_644991022_7510979_975813_n.jpg

Function and Quality - 9/10

This is where the pen really shines. Everything lines up and fits together perfectly. Despite this being a relatively large pen, it is quite light. This is probably due to the material and the absence of any weighty trim or filling mechanism. That being said, there is enough weight there so you don't forget that you're holding a pen and whatever weight is there is very well distributed so that the pen is nicely balanced. The section has a nice curve to it that makes it very comfortable to hold.

As for the ebonite, it is an entirely difference experience to anything else I've ever felt. It warms up to your hand and feels almost 'soft'. Absolutely amazing for lengthy writing periods. I've heard some people complain about the smell of ebonite but I don't really mind the smell too much and the smell is barely noticeable after a week.

The only downside to the Pearl is that it doesn't post. I don't usually post anyway so, like the ebonite smell, this doesn't really bother me. However, I know that the smell and the non-posting may bother some people so I've knocked off half a point for each.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs795.snc4/67582_483733076022_644991022_7510981_3427999_n.jpg

Notice the gentle curve of the section. Doesn't look like much, but it makes a big difference.

Nib Design and Performance - 10/10

As I mentioned earlier, I opted for an 18K gold nib in rhodium. I asked Brian for a fine nib with moderately wet flow (about a 7 out of 10) and just the very slightest hint of tooth. And boy did Brian deliver! The nib is absolutely flawless. Very smooth with just enough tooth for me to control it and a deliciously wet line. The nib starts without problem every time, even after sitting uncapped for fifteen to thirty minutes. The design is also quite nice with the usual nib material and size info engraved on bottom and the Edison Pen Company logo.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs763.snc4/66340_483733166022_644991022_7510985_2021867_n.jpg

A small writing sample.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs464.ash2/73728_483733151022_644991022_7510984_5601134_n.jpg

Close up of the nib. Not sure if you can make it out but the nib is actually marked as a medium. What happened here was that Brian had run out of engraved nibs in fine and gave me three options - wait a week or two for the next shipment of nibs, take a fine nib without the engraving, or have a medium nib reground into a fine. I went with option number three because I'm not a particularly patient person and figured that a reground nib would add just another level of customisation to the pen. More brownie points here for customer service.

Filling System - 8/10

The usual cartridge/converter filler which is perfectly fine by me. The pen also works as an eyedropper which I imagine, due to the reasonably large body, would hold a fair amount of ink.

Conclusion - 43.5/50

I think the score says it all. This is an absolutely amazing pen. It isn't cheap by any definition but you have to remember that for the price you're getting a pen custom made to your liking. You get to decide on everything from the material to the way the nib writes to the filling system. And I think that makes the Edison Pearl a worthwhile investment. Add to that the absolutely amazing customer service that just puts everybody else to shame, and I can say that I would most certainly recommend the Pearl and the Edison Pen Company to anybody looking for a higher end pen.

And here are a couple more photos to see you off.

Yuki

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs136.ash2/40157_483733111022_644991022_7510982_7718336_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs410.ash2/68861_483733711022_644991022_7511001_3438111_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs785.snc4/66505_483734091022_644991022_7511010_5745848_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs388.ash2/66603_483733266022_644991022_7510989_562960_n.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yuki Onitsura

• sjchun79

• fabiorr

• jniforat

Nice review, I really like the last picture with what looks to be aloe? As for the studies I know what you mean I spent last night posting a new topic here instead of studying when I should have been, but thats a students life.

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

Nice review, I really like the last picture with what looks to be aloe? As for the studies I know what you mean I spent last night posting a new topic here instead of studying when I should have been, but thats a students life.

Thank you. I'm not entirely sure what the plant is but I don't think it's aloe because I have one of those and it looks different. Unless aloe comes in many varieties. Not much of a botanist.

Yuki

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Good job. Black ebonite and gold. A classic!

Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),

si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:

distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

:thumbup: lovely pen. congratulations!

A nice simple review with lots of photos. My kind of review. Thanks

Thank you ^^ I guess simple was the way to go. There isn't anything really special or unique about the pen but it just does everything that it's supposed to do very very very well.

Yuki

Lovely!

I need to speak better English, just so that I can post a review about my Edison Herald Grande(usually used as an ED filler).

My pen holds about 3.6CCs of ink(measured with a syringe). Quite huge, yet not as huge as expected.

Edited by sjchun79

Thank you for the review and especially for the picture of the Pearl with other pens. It´s very nice seeing it side to side with other well known pens to get the size right. I was thinking about the Pearl but after this review I think it could be a bit too thick for my taste. I prefer sleeker pens. If there was a Pearl version slightly larger than a Parker 51 it would be just perfect. Anyway it´s a beauty and after many reviews read about Brian´s nibs I am sure it´s a great writer.

Lovely!

I need to speak better English, just so that I can post a review about my Edison Herald Grande(usually used as an ED filler).

My pen holds about 3.6CCs of ink(measured with a syringe). Quite huge, yet not as huge as expected.

Your English is fine =) As for the ink capacity, you have to remember that a standard converter only holds 0.3 - 0.5ml of ink so 3.6 ml is a considerable amount.

Thank you for the review and especially for the picture of the Pearl with other pens. It´s very nice seeing it side to side with other well known pens to get the size right. I was thinking about the Pearl but after this review I think it could be a bit too thick for my taste. I prefer sleeker pens. If there was a Pearl version slightly larger than a Parker 51 it would be just perfect. Anyway it´s a beauty and after many reviews read about Brian´s nibs I am sure it´s a great writer.

Thanks for the kind words. If you're after something a bit thinnner, perhaps you could speak to Brian about it and see if he can make you a thinner Pearl? These are custom pens after all.

Yuki

Hi Yuki

A lovely review for a pen I've been using this week (borrowed, but promised I'd return it).

It is a lovely writer- hers is a fine in CI and is a pearl torti demo. Great writer, but I really like posting in light pens so I'd be less generous than you, but that is just my personal taste. Again she got hers with no clip which is OK when you are writing at home, but I'm often on the run and that doesn't work for me.

Glossy........ black...ebonite... nice one!

Edit- succulent, like the final photo

Edited by shrinknib

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Lovely review and photographs!

I took a look through Brian's available inventory, and it was very, very hard not to whip out the credit card. Alas, the Nakaya Shield is in effect. Anyway, I keep thinking about the LA Pen Show....

I have a red-and-black ebonite Pearl. It keeps good company out of rotation with the Mb Hemingway, Danitrio Fellowship (which I thought I would never take out of rotation!), and other topnotch pens, but your review has made me want to fill it up.... Yay!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Lovely!

Your English is fine =) As for the ink capacity, you have to remember that a standard converter only holds 0.3 - 0.5ml of ink so 3.6 ml is a considerable amount.

I thought that a converter holds about 0.9cc, no? I`m talking about the international converter for waterman, pelikan, and such.

Anyhow, thanks for the wonderful review. My next pen is also an Edison : the Huron Grande. =)

I thought that a converter holds about 0.9cc, no? I`m talking about the international converter for waterman, pelikan, and such.

Anyhow, thanks for the wonderful review. My next pen is also an Edison : the Huron Grande. =)

Oh, right you are. I must have been thinking of the Pilot Con-50. And yay for the Huron Grande! What colour/material are you getting?

Yuki

Oh, right you are. I must have been thinking of the Pilot Con-50. And yay for the Huron Grande! What colour/material are you getting?

Yuki

Current pen (Herald Grande) is a brownish red/black ebonite pen, an ED filler. Next pen will be the Huron Grande in ebonite, yet I`ve yet to decide the colour. Your pen is a plain black, and it looks wonderful. Maybe I`ll go with that.

Yuki

Current pen (Herald Grande) is a brownish red/black ebonite pen, an ED filler. Next pen will be the Huron Grande in ebonite, yet I`ve yet to decide the colour. Your pen is a plain black, and it looks wonderful. Maybe I`ll go with that.

I believe there's a raw ebonite with hairline finish as well. That ought to be interesting and a tactile delight.

Yuki

Lovely!

Thanks for the kind words. If you're after something a bit thinnner, perhaps you could speak to Brian about it and see if he can make you a thinner Pearl? These are custom pens after all.

Yuki

You´re right, I will check later with Brian about the viability of a Pearl in smaller size. :thumbup:

Great review. Something worth saving for!

How long did you wait for this beauty if I am not too indisrete?

It most certainly is worth saving up for. It took about a month to arrive on my doorstep from when I ordered it. Delivery took about 10 days because I live in Australia so I imagine it'd be about a week quicker if you're based in the ConUS.

Yuki