Montblanc Overlay Pens...

Bryant

A wonderful collection Axel, you clearly appreciated these pens far earlier than most so you must enjoy them for as long as you possibly want to. I believe that you had many of your pens on exhibition at your store some years ago? (75th anniversary?) Do you have plans to show them again?

Yours in admiration,

Neal.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penparadise

• Ghost Plane

• shrinknib

• billydo

A wonderful collection Axel, you clearly appreciated these pens far earlier than most so you must enjoy them for as long as you possibly want to. I believe that you had many of your pens on exhibition at your store some years ago? (75th anniversary?) Do you have plans to show them again?

Yours in admiration,

Neal.

Hi Neal,

Thank you.

Yes, for the "75th anniversary of the Meisterstück" in 1999 I made an exhibition "75 Meisterstücke aus 75 Jahren" (75 Masterpieces from 75 years). I think it was even mentioned in some publications in the US.

We had 75 Meisterstück pens from 1924 to 1999 on display, all different. Due to the fact that during and past the WW2 periode not every year a new design of a Meisterstück was launched we diversified in colors and model variations (overlays) on pre WW2 pens. Montblanc was surprized about this exhibition. ;)

As I'm retired and sold my stores a few years ago I might do a small exhibition on vintage items (not pens or Montblanc only) on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of my former company. My successor hasn't made up his mind what to do for the anniversary.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Whoa.betcha you can get (as in purchase) a decent apartment with the value of your collection !

I work on it. B)

:hmm1: But what shall I do with an apartment on Madison Avenue, Upper East Side? :rolleyes:

No, honestly, I don't see the value of my collection in comparision what can I get else for it.

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,

I wonder. Are you of the opinion that with pens like these that you are only their curator for a time until they get turned over to the next guardian; or do you feel that they are yours forever? Just wondering.

Well, that's a very good and partly philosophic question, Brian!

At first let me say that I didn't want to offend someone or make anyone jealous. I also don't want to brag with my pens but I confess that I am a little bit proud of my collection.

I'm a collector. A collector not only of pens (for the pain of my wife). I'm collecting Montblanc pens for more than 4 decades and was lucky to get some knowledge and quite a number of nice vintage Montblancs over these last 40 years.

Of course I don't want to take my collections with me into my grave. It's a living collection. I already sold parts of my pen collection (for example colored 2nd and 3rd line pens and modern, past WW2 pens) and concentrated on these mentioned in my signature. But for an uncertain periode (which still last) I like to touch and feel and look at these remaining old pens from time to time. I also write with some of them on certain occasions. But if the time comes I will be glad if the pens will find a new "guardian" as you said. ;)

Yesterday I had a day off. Inspired by the posting of Bry it was great fun to me taking the pictured pens out of the safe and handle them the day.

Yes, well put and thanks for the thoughtful reply. The items you have do reflect an advanced collector and it is nice to see these together as a cultural snapshot of time, place, and one makers conception of art and beauty.

Yours in admiration,

Neal.

Hi Neal,

Thank you.

Yes, for the "75th anniversary of the Meisterstück" in 1999 I made an exhibition "75 Meisterstücke aus 75 Jahren" (75 Masterpieces from 75 years). I think it was even mentioned in some publications in the US.

We had 75 Meisterstück pens from 1924 to 1999 on display, all different. Due to the fact that during and past the WW2 periode not every year a new design of a Meisterstück was launched we diversified in colors and model variations (overlays) on pre WW2 pens. Montblanc was surprized about this exhibition. ;)

As I'm retired and sold my stores a few years ago I might do a small exhibition on vintage items (not pens or Montblanc only) on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of my former company. My successor hasn't made up his mind what to do for the anniversary.

Wonderful Museum quality collection. Congratulations Axel, truly awe inspiring.

It seems that Montblanc could simply dip into this incredible past and re-issue modern versions of these Classics and do so successfully forever, as evidenced in the Lorenzo de Medici and Marcel Proust.

You mentioned that Montblanc was surprised by the exhibition of the "75 Meisterstucke". Were they pleased? And does Montblanc approach owners of collections to purchase pens for their Museum?

Thank You for sharing. I have a feeling I may never see pens like this any other way.

Regards

greg

... does Montblanc approach owners of collections to purchase pens for their Museum?

About 15 years ago Montblanc bought vintage pens for their museum because the buildings of Montblanc were totally distroyed and the whole archives was gone with the fire.

But for more than 5 years Montblanc has no curator any more ... :headsmack: :crybaby: And the museum does need a curator!!!

Axel

OH MY!!!!!!

Some of those I have never even seen photos of!

Hope those are in a museum someday so I can go feast my eyes upon them!

My compliments!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

... does Montblanc approach owners of collections to purchase pens for their Museum?

About 15 years ago Montblanc bought vintage pens for their museum because the buildings of Montblanc were totally distroyed and the whole archives was gone with the fire.

But for more than 5 years Montblanc has no curator any more ... :headsmack: :crybaby: And the museum does need a curator!!!

Thank You Axel,

I'd like to nominate a curator. Are you available??

I do not own any of the books on collecting Montblanc pens, such as the "Montblanc Diary" and "Collectible Stars".

Are pens such as the examples you have kindly displayed, featured in either volume?

So, in 14 years we can celebrate 100 years of the Meisterstuck. I sincerely hope Montblanc will be inspired to put together 100 beautiful pens to Honour the occasion.

Cheers!

Thank You Axel,

I'd like to nominate a curator. Are you available??

I do not own any of the books on collecting Montblanc pens, such as the "Montblanc Diary" and "Collectible Stars".

Are pens such as the examples you have kindly displayed, featured in either volume?

So, in 14 years we can celebrate 100 years of the Meisterstuck. I sincerely hope Montblanc will be inspired to put together 100 beautiful pens to Honour the occasion.

Cheers!

*LOL* No, this would be a job for someone living in Hamburg. And Montblanc does have a suitable and very experienced employee within the Artesan departement. But for an unknown reason the management of MB International doesn't put him in charge for the museum. :doh: :bonk: :gaah:

Some of my pens you can find in the book of Andreas Lambrou "Fountain Pens Of The world". But you should get the "Montblanc Diary" if you are really interested in vintage Montblancs. It's the Bible for a vintage Montblanc collector!

Axel

Axel, thank you for showing those great images!

What a wonderful collection.

You should really invite a good photographer to take close up pictures of those pens and make them into a nice pictorial book.

Cheers

Michael

PS: I really love the monkey (???) clip

As one of my favorite movie characters said "They belong in a museum!" -- Indiana Jones

Wow! Very nice collection.

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg