The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Opera Club

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 19:39

Visconti Opera Club

Length: 5 ½ inches capped, 5 1/8 inches uncapped, just under 6 ½ posted (I personally do not post this pen)

Weight: 1.2oz capped, .8oz uncapped

Materials Used: Chrome plated trim, Pearl orange marble resin cap and barrel, 14k/585 gold nib

Filling System: Cartridge/Converter

This new offering from Visconti had me from the word “Opera”. Being a big fan of good opera myself, I decided to look into the details of this pen. The pen is based on Visconti’s “squaring of the circle” design which we first saw in the LE “Wall Street”. This is truly a nice design which fits nicely in your hand. Another benefit I have found with this pen, is while uncapped I don’t need to worry about setting it down on a desk as I gather my thoughts. Since I do not post most of my pens, setting any other pen down could result in the pen rolling off my desk, a scary thought indeed! Well, not so with this new design from Visconti.

The particular color of my pen is called, “Summer Yellow”. It’s a pearl orange with deep reddish veins running throughout the cap and barrel, creating a marble look to it. This is another pen that shimmers in the direct sunlight. I’m a big fan of this look. I also like the chrome plated accents and think they do a wonderful job of completing the pens visual appeal. Viconti’s new clip design is also worth noting. It’s a nice clean arc that starts from the top of the cap. The clip is spring loaded and allows the pen to fit nicely over thicker material. I think the “Visconti” engraving on the sides of the clip is also a great detail.

A new feature of this pen is it’s unique ability to be personalized without actual cutting into the resin or metal finish. This is accomplished by removing the magnetized Visconti emblem on top of the cap and replacing it with your choice of initials, both of which are magnetized semi-circles. I have placed the initials “BP” on mine. The initials are free from your local Visconti dealer and once in place, they’re very secure. Should you decide to sell your pen down the road, simple remove your initials and replace the Visconti emblem. There no worry about ruining your pen’s value by personalizing it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 14k nib is stiff and smooth. This week I’m sending it off to Pendemonium for a regrind to cursive italic. I currently have been using Private Reserve Orange Crush with this pen and it lays down a very nice wet line with it’s broad nib. I tried PR American Blue, but the Opera hated it for some reason and would skip. I haven’t tried any other ink as of yet due to how great it’s been doing with the Orange Crush. I’ll let you know if it has problems with any other inks.

I found this pen for $224.99 on Costco’s website. I’ve used this pen since December, 2004, and have no complaints other then the incident with the PR American Blue. This is another fine Italian fountain pen. I give it a strong recommendation. Join the Club, the Visconti Opera Club!

Bryan

Edited by Bryan, 03 January 2006 - 15:59.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 15:33

It took me a little longer to get this pen sent out to Pendemonium for a custom regrind. However, it has now arrived back and once again, I have a beautiful writing cursive italic. I'll get some scans and post them here later.

Bryan
Posted Image

#3 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 17:02

Thanks fpr bumping this one, Bryan. :) I wasn't around when you first posted the review. :(

Costco eh? Never thought of shopping Costco for FPs. Have to check them periodically.

It's a pretty pen, but don't you hate it when they're picky about what inks they like? Keep us posted on its progress. Maybe with enough ink through it, its dislike for PR American Blue will go away. :D
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#4 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:05

Thanks fpr bumping this one, Bryan. :)  I wasn't around when you first posted the review. :(

Costco eh? Never thought of shopping Costco for FPs. Have to check them periodically.

It's a pretty pen, but don't you hate it when they're picky about what inks they like? Keep us posted on its progress. Maybe with enough ink through it, its dislike for PR American Blue will go away. :D

:blush: :blush:
I was around...but somehow I missed your review.
So sorry!

Thank you for bring this beautiful pen to our attention, Bryan. It's a real looker! The removable monogram option is something I did not know about...That and the fact that Costco sells pens other than MBs! :lol:
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 15:37

Glad this one got bumped as I too wasn't around when it was posted. Neat pen, and a brilliant design on the initials. Thanks for the great review!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 scholiast

scholiast

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 22:32

I purchased this pen about a year ago and it has performed nothing but beautifully. A definite plus was the fact that one of Visconti's headquarters is located in Lodi, NJ (very close to my home). I visited them and these people were absolutely fantastic (friendly, courteous, and quite knowledgeable).
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death, p. vii

#7 AndreaDuni

AndreaDuni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2007 - 15:30

Hi, good review. I have received it for my bachelor and you can see it in this post: http://www.fountainp...n...c=40245&hl=.
<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook...ainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin....m/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

#8 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:23

Gorgeous!

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:52

Drat another Visconti to add to my want list! Good review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:51

Another pen with perfect seasonal coloring for the fall months. Looks good with the orange ink!
CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#11 geonut

geonut

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:59

QUOTE(Netnemo @ Oct 12 2007, 09:30 AM) View Post
Hi, good review. I have received it for my bachelor and you can see it in this post: http://www.fountainp...n...c=40245&hl=.

I noticed that Bryan's nib is slightly different from Netnemo's nib in that it has a round "hole" (what's the proper name for this?), while Netnemo's has a crescent shaped "hole". Would I be correct in assuming that both are the same nib, but just an aesthetic change? I have a Visconti Wall Street. It has the round hole. I was kind of disappointed when I received it because the one I thought I ordered was supposed to have the crescent shape. I've since gotten over it because it's such a wonderful nib, but nevertheless, I've always wondered if there's a difference...

#12 sdonahue

sdonahue

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 18:23

Good review. I love that orange pen. It GLOWS. I have it in a rollerball. I was talking with the Visconti rep about 3 weeks ago. This orange, the typhoon blue, and the honey almond are being phased out crybaby.gif

#13 dare_nova

dare_nova

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 20:44

Beautiful pen! Thanks for the review.

Sponsored Content

|