Sailor King Of Pens

rogerico

After some weeks of living with this snake charmer, I reaffirm that this excellent pen has the best nib ever build. Sailor is unbeatable. Here it is in good company...

post-33908-0-32680500-1290943384.jpg

post-33908-0-70250500-1290943398.jpg

post-33908-0-82342400-1290943407.jpg

post-33908-0-72083300-1290943418.jpg

post-33908-0-98437700-1290943428.jpg

post-33908-0-98065000-1290943438.jpg

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• nicholasyeo

• RMN

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely little collection there Rogerico, some very nice writing implements indeed - congratulations. I am a beginner within the world of fountain pens therefore, would you be kind enough to name the pens/models within your collection?

Kind regards,

Q

Kind regards,

Q

Lovely little collection there Rogerico, some very nice writing implements indeed - congratulations. I am a beginner within the world of fountain pens therefore, would you be kind enough to name the pens/models within your collection?

Kind regards,

Q

Of course, Q. I only own the pens that appear in one of the pictures:

Montblanc Classique

Montblanc 146

Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe

Parker Doufold Black Mosaic

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla

Sailor King of Pen Ebonite Rhodium Trim

That's my little collection. At work I use two pens: Parker Duofold and GVFC. At home, Sailor KOP. I've buried my Montblanc pens in the deepest drawer.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

I like the story and I am glad to hear that you have found the pen that suits you but I cannot imagine paying that much for a C/C pen. It does look really nice.

In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

I like the story and I am glad to hear that you have found the pen that suits you but I cannot imagine paying that much for a C/C pen. It does look really nice.

I understand you. I used to think the same. Now I cannot imagine myself paying for gold ornaments or gemstones in a pen or paying for a very limited edition. But I'm ready to pay for the best nib in a big, well balanced pen. That's what I did with the Sailor KOP. I love piston pen, but if I must choose, I'll give priority to the nib.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I understand you. I used to think the same. Now I cannot imagine myself paying for gold ornaments or gemstones in a pen or paying for a very limited edition. But I'm ready to pay for the best nib in a big, well balanced pen. That's what I did with the Sailor KOP. I love piston pen, but if I must choose, I'll give priority to the nib.

Sailor made King of pens with piston filling system,that is, Sailor 95th Anniversary pen REALO(first REALO). I stated that the filling system may be fragile in the review of the pen.

I have used the REALO almost every day by now and there is no problem, on the contrary it has become smoother. I happen to get another REALO that has also no problem.

I have started to think that it is not fragile.

rokurinpapa

Edited by rokurinpapa

My sailor realo fell onto carpet and the cap cracked. My KOP is hard rubber -- but I suspect it will be just as fragile and so it sits safely in it's holder while less expensive and more metallic pens get used.

Hi everybody,

My experience is quite close as Rogerico.

In this modern time of mobiles, I am one of those who still appreciate foutain pens.

I bought several pens when i was young, and bought a silver Sonnet from Waterman when i was 25.

Then my 1st high quality pen was a Duofold from Parker in 1999.

I immediately loved the look of the pen and the nib. At that time i was not aware of the importance of the nib.

A few years after i wanted something very different from my Duofold, I mean in terms of look but also flexibility of the nib.

I went to several shops in Paris. I was attracted by the Souveran M800 from Pelikan due to its size. But It was a shock when i tried the Souveran M1000!

This is an amazing pen!

After 2 years of great experience, somebody stole my pen in my office.

I decided to get another pen with no precise idea.

Once again i went to many great shops (Paris is great for pen amateurs!!), and i had the opportunity to try a lot of great things:

Parker, Pelikan, Montblanc, Visconti, Namiki, Sailor, Faber Castell, St Dupont...

When i started with the KoP, it was clear the nib was above anything else except M1000 and Montblanc 149.

I was still in love with M1000 so it was difficult to choose between the Pelikan and the Sailor.

I decided to buy both!! B)

M1000 was the same green one as previously; for the KoP it was obvious i wanted the Black ebonite one (same as Rogerico, without urushi).

It has been a great pleasure to write with those 2 tools since i bought them.

I also love the piston system from Pelikan, but if it was adapted to the KoP, the weight would not be the same anymore, so i am quite happy to have 2 great pens that are quite comparable but also different!

My impression on the KoP to compare is:

1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 9/10 Very pure and out of time. Only thing to discuss: the clip.

But for me it's essential.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 9/10 Weight is perfect in comparison with the size.

3. Nib & Performance: 10/10 That's Sailor's specialty. A unique quality, a wide range of choice. PERFECT!!

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 7/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. I really prefer piston system, but the converter allows a light pen, and that's great.The containce is not very important compared to Pelikan or 149.

5. Cost & Value: 8,5/10 Not an affordable pen, but due to its quality and rarity it's ok.

The pen was not available in the shop it was ordered to the european distributor.

The pen arrived after 3 weeks.

6. Conclusion: Final score 9/10 This is not the perfect pen (but does it only exist??) but not far!

The nib and the look are just incredible :wub:

If you are fond of pens and you have the possibility to try a KoP, just don't hesitate!

My sailor realo fell onto carpet and the cap cracked. My KOP is hard rubber -- but I suspect it will be just as fragile and so it sits safely in it's holder while less expensive and more metallic pens get used.

A KOP left on its holder...! Beware, size the day. You'll get older and your KOP will remain in perfect condition but... unused! Too bad!

Roger

Hi everybody,

My experience is quite close as Rogerico.

In this modern time of mobiles, I am one of those who still appreciate foutain pens.

I bought several pens when i was young, and bought a silver Sonnet from Waterman when i was 25.

Then my 1st high quality pen was a Duofold from Parker in 1999.

I immediately loved the look of the pen and the nib. At that time i was not aware of the importance of the nib.

A few years after i wanted something very different from my Duofold, I mean in terms of look but also flexibility of the nib.

I went to several shops in Paris. I was attracted by the Souveran M800 from Pelikan due to its size. But It was a shock when i tried the Souveran M1000!

This is an amazing pen!

After 2 years of great experience, somebody stole my pen in my office.

I decided to get another pen with no precise idea.

Once again i went to many great shops (Paris is great for pen amateurs!!), and i had the opportunity to try a lot of great things:

Parker, Pelikan, Montblanc, Visconti, Namiki, Sailor, Faber Castell, St Dupont...

When i started with the KoP, it was clear the nib was above anything else except M1000 and Montblanc 149.

I was still in love with M1000 so it was difficult to choose between the Pelikan and the Sailor.

I decided to buy both!! B)

M1000 was the same green one as previously; for the KoP it was obvious i wanted the Black ebonite one (same as Rogerico, without urushi).

It has been a great pleasure to write with those 2 tools since i bought them.

I also love the piston system from Pelikan, but if it was adapted to the KoP, the weight would not be the same anymore, so i am quite happy to have 2 great pens that are quite comparable but also different!

My impression on the KoP to compare is:

1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 9/10 Very pure and out of time. Only thing to discuss: the clip.

But for me it's essential.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 9/10 Weight is perfect in comparison with the size.

3. Nib & Performance: 10/10 That's Sailor's specialty. A unique quality, a wide range of choice. PERFECT!!

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 7/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. I really prefer piston system, but the converter allows a light pen, and that's great.The containce is not very important compared to Pelikan or 149.

5. Cost & Value: 8,5/10 Not an affordable pen, but due to its quality and rarity it's ok.

The pen was not available in the shop it was ordered to the european distributor.

The pen arrived after 3 weeks.

6. Conclusion: Final score 9/10 This is not the perfect pen (but does it only exist??) but not far!

The nib and the look are just incredible :wub:

If you are fond of pens and you have the possibility to try a KoP, just don't hesitate!

Good story. It is very distressing being solen! You did right buying both: M1000 again and KOP.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

A most inspirational read rogerico. Thank you for sharing. What ever the pen, filling system, etc, its monetary value is secondary to the value YOU place on it. Great choice. Inspired.

Pavoni

• 1 month later...

Well, I've always written in black. But I've tried a Sailor blue ink and I'm impressed with the smoothness of this nib with this ink. Even better, which I'd thought it would be impossible. Here you have too pics with de samples. I've written a poem in catalan. Thanks again!

post-33908-0-13605800-1299525340.jpg

post-33908-0-63844800-1299525351.jpg

Roger

• 11 months later...

I iwll wait till they reintroduce this model as a piston filler

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I just received a Maki-e version of KOP (I think the size is equivalent to the KOP). The M nib is buttery smooth.... Just the right line width for my writing style. Not too thin, not too wide.

post-31041-0-89330200-1330844738.jpg

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I just received a Maki-e version of KOP (I think the size is equivalent to the KOP). The M nib is buttery smooth.... Just the right line width for my writing style. Not too thin, not too wide.

Gosh, that is incredibly beautiful. The raden makes it all the more stunning! :notworthy1: :puddle:

Nice pens and nice photos Roger. I love the minimalist aspects of the KOP.

I would, however, recommend having your other pens serviced by a pro because you some very nice pens and there's really no reason all of them couldn't be made to be a perfect writer and not leak. Since you already have them, I'd definitely spend the money to bring them all up to the KOP's level of pleasure. Then you'd have several perfect pens to choose from whenever the need arose.

Enjoy them all,

- Mike