Sailor King Of Pens

rogerico

Rogerico,

Congrats on a your wonderful new KOP writing instrument, most certainly a Beauty to Behold!

With your choice of the Rhodium Trim [on the Jet Black Ebonite version] it has swayed me into that Camp away from the Gold Trim edition, this seems to be a much cleaner look (although the Gold is very impressive as well & wouldn't complain @ all if I ended up with it as well :)

I have STE [short Term Envy] as I will be looking to pick one up sooner than later.

Again Congrats & Thx for the subtle push over the fence :|

Cheers,

LF

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• nicholasyeo

• RMN

• Silvermink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They need to do a limited edition elvis pen.

I'm trying to imagine a Blue Suede KOP...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Just curious, was the KOP somehow designed to take on the 149? Or was it the other way around? Or do they stand alone? They seem worthy of comparison...

Just curious, was the KOP somehow designed to take on the 149? Or was it the other way around? Or do they stand alone? They seem worthy of comparison...

Not sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if the KOP is Sailor's answer to the 149 given some of their other pens emulate Montblanc's designs to a significant degree. It's definitely not the other way around as the 149 has been around since 1948, and the KOP a fraction of that.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have both a 149 and a KOP Professional Gear. Both are wonderful pens but I have to give the "nib award" to the KOP. If you like a more springy experience, the KOP is the way to go. My only issue is the narrow nature of the KOP B nib. MIne is in the hands of Richard Binder as I write this. He is working to broaden the nib and give it a stubbish quality. I can't wait to get it back. Richard did this to my Delta Dolce Vita, another narrow B, it now writes like a dream.

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Cheers for that...I just got a used 149, haven't started writing with it yet but the KOP looks pretty similar, just wondering how it performed compared to it. Looks great as well I must say. Maybe phentrek, you should write a review comparing both...

Edited by RNP

I have both a 149 and a KOP Professional Gear. Both are wonderful pens but I have to give the "nib award" to the KOP.

I think that everyone interested in Sailors should make an effort to familiarize themselves with the range of nibs that is unique to Sailor.

This is the one I've got in my King of Pen, and there just isn't anything else like it out there!

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Sailor%20Pens/KingEagleNibSideVeiw.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I have both a 149 and a KOP Professional Gear. Both are wonderful pens but I have to give the "nib award" to the KOP.

I think that everyone interested in Sailors should make an effort to familiarize themselves with the range of nibs that is unique to Sailor.

This is the one I've got in my King of Pen, and there just isn't anything else like it out there!

These days several people have tested the nib of my KOP and all of them have been surprised by its quality and fineness. There's nothing like that. Just amazing. Anyone should try a Sailor's nib.

Roger

Roger

The KoP was originally made in "homage" to the 149 as you can see from this photo of the old model:

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Sailor%20Pens/KingofPenuncapped.jpg

But now, I think they have evolved to stand alone in their own right.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Is that the zoom nib?

Could you publish a writing sample?

I have given this some thought, but most Sailors are fairly light, and I like a heavier pen. Still......

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Is that the zoom nib?

Could you publish a writing sample?

No, it is a King Eagle nib. They make very few, which is probably fine since they charge a premium of $875 for that nib over the standard nib and both production and demand are accordingly low.

Here is a writing sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIj5853714U

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

thanks for the video

Interesting nib, but indeed a bit pricey. I don't think I would get that much worth of pleasure from it.

Ah well, enough other interesting pens and nibs...

D.ick

~

~

Hi folks, this is my first entry in the FPN, so forgive me if I mess up...

Roderico kudos on your ability to keep on hunting for your "dream pen." I followed the same path for years and like you, I ended up with Sailor, mainly 6because their nibs were like silk and only they seemed to know how to make an extra fine nib that would, as you say, "float on paper." Sadly it took me about 20 years off and on to discover Sailor (and I never would have discovered them without the advent of the internet and shopping on the 'net.) I have about 25 fountain pens from cheap to hyper-expensive, and I won't touch them now, as the Sailor proved to be "the writer" of the bunch. Oh well, live and learn.

Greetings to all you crazy people who understand that a good fountain pen is not a luxury -- it's a necessity! (This is what I tell my wife, anyway :blush: )

I can't get over the cost for a cartridge/converter pen.

+1. I've never considered myself a Piston snob (only 2 of my meagre collection have pistons) but at this price point I find it difficult to justify a c/c pen when there are soooo many equally beautiful and worthy pens around with piston fill mechanisms.

That said, gorgeous pen and lovely review, I particularly enjoyed the background story - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

Hi folks, this is my first entry in the FPN, so forgive me if I mess up...

Roderico kudos on your ability to keep on hunting for your "dream pen." I followed the same path for years and like you, I ended up with Sailor, mainly 6because their nibs were like silk and only they seemed to know how to make an extra fine nib that would, as you say, "float on paper." Sadly it took me about 20 years off and on to discover Sailor (and I never would have discovered them without the advent of the internet and shopping on the 'net.) I have about 25 fountain pens from cheap to hyper-expensive, and I won't touch them now, as the Sailor proved to be "the writer" of the bunch. Oh well, live and learn.

Greetings to all you crazy people who understand that a good fountain pen is not a luxury -- it's a necessity! (This is what I tell my wife, anyway :blush: )

Hey NikkorfMkil (thats a mouthful)

Welcom here on the greatest sanatorium for pen-nuts :W2FPN:

D.ick

~

~

I can't get over the cost for a cartridge/converter pen.

+1. I've never considered myself a Piston snob (only 2 of my meagre collection have pistons) but at this price point I find it difficult to justify a c/c pen when there are soooo many equally beautiful and worthy pens around with piston fill mechanisms.

That said, gorgeous pen and lovely review, I particularly enjoyed the background story - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Well, that means that perfection doesn't exist. A King of pen with a piston and a fine nib would be absolutely irresistible and unbeatable. Nevertheless, after some weeks of writing -and living...- with my KOP, I really think that my quest has finished. I can't imagine another nib smoother and finer or a pen so well balanced, with the perfect size and ther perfect weigth for me. But who konws the futur? Maybe when I amb 50 years old... I'll go for a Namiki Emperor. Not now, not in the netx years. Maybe never.

Thanks for all your comments.

Roger

Talk about how wonderful this pen is makes me more and more want to buy this pen!!!

What I like about it is it's beautiful minimalism and simplicity, as well as the very simple

curves accentuated by the clip.