In june, for my birthday, I went to a good fountain pen shop in Barcelona and asked for a really good and big pen, the definitive perfect pen for me. I had in mind three models: Pelikan M100, Visconti Opera oversize and Omas Arco brown Paragon. I tried them all, but I wasn't able to decide me. Perhaps I could'n find them so perfect... While I was thinking and trying to decide me, the seller left a pen on the table stealthyly. I took it and wrote some words with it. Wow! That was amazing. The nib floated and the paper. I had never seen so much softness. Yes, it was a Sailor pen, a little one. I knew I had found what I was looking for. I ordered a Sailor King of Pen Black Ebonite Rhodium Trim Fountain Pen. After some months of waiting, last week the KOP arrived. Here it is.
1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 10/10 This big ebonite pen is awesome: all black, perfectly polished, with no trim rings. Only the clip over the blackness. Its design is absolutely clean.
2. Weight & Dimensions: 10/10 I wanted a big pen, and there is no doubt that the KOP is big, with a good diameter. I can use it caped without any problem as it's not too heavy.
3. Nib & Performance: 9,9/10 The nib is wonderful, marvelous, gorgeous, the true heart and spirit of this pen. It slips so gently on the paper that it seems like magic. I put 9,9 just for one reason: it's a medium nib as for thi pen there is not a fine nib, which would have been the eight wonder!
4. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. I like de piston filler pens, but I must recognize that the big cartrigde are very confortable, clean and easy to use. The pen is also easy to clean and maintain.
5. Cost & Value: 9,5/10 I paid for it 974 €. Not a cheap one. In fact. it is the more expensive pen I've ever bought. But when I take it and start to write I feel is not a expensive pen. It's worth the cost.
6. Conclusion: Final score 9,5/10 Well, although it's difficult to say, I really think I've found my perfect fountain pen. It will be the last? I don't know, maybe. As i've said, I'm not a collector. If this pens gives me all I need when I write, I don't think I buy another one for a long period of time. Who knows...
Well, here there are some pics of the King and some pics with my others pens.
Edited by rogerico, 17 October 2010 - 09:07.