I have delayed started this thread and next step, because I sent one of the Yellow-Orange treated bottles to Giovani (Tryphon owner) after speaking with him at length. He claimed this is the first case where his Steril-Ink biocide did not kill and/or prevent fungal growth--and especially since I put 3 drops in a 35 ml bottle where normally he only recommends using a single drop. I have made at least 5 phone calls, and 6-7 emails trying to find out what he thought upon seeing the contamination, as I wanted to do this thread in partnership with him, since I know so many believe in his Steril-Ink for this very purpose. I have found that he is traveling back and forth to Europe, and as of today, his wife Syliva, knows he has not yet looked at my Yellow Orange bottle he received in early August, and continues to be busy with travel.
So, I have now lost confidence in DeAtramentis (& Dr. Jansen) Inks, Art Browns store, Giovani, & his Tryphon Steril-Ink. I am going to proceed on my own, using what I believe to be a reliable, scientific method. I spent a lot of time talking to Giovani, various chemical engineers, an ink manufacturer, reading, and searching for industry biocides, and knowing that Phenol was successfully used in inks before everyone started freaking out about its cancer risks in high doses. I wanted an alternative to Tryphon's Steril-Ink, and settled mainly on Sporicidin Disinfectant Solution because it has Phenol, and the head of development for the product spoke with me at length (Steven Leung, Director of Development, Contec, Inc., Sporicidin Division), and believed it would work very well for my intended purpose, and wanted me to keep him posted on results. In the process of my research, I was also able to have a well known ink manufacturer send me a sample of his proprietary biocide used in their inks (don't ask me for details, as I gave my word to maintain privacy).
You can look at post #50 in the original thread to see more about my conversations with Sporicidin, and plan for testing here, which I have modified slightly.
Here are two thumbnail photos of the current state of the DeAtramentis (wedge-shaped) bottle that was filtered and treated in late May.
first of ten small plastic vials I got from Dillon here. This is "Control #1." Next I used the same filter and funnel system as in my original thread to clean the bulk of the fungal growth from the ink. I took about 3 ml and put it in vial #2 as a "Filtered Control." Then I transferred about 3 ml of the filtered ink to each of #2 through #10 vials. Next, I added the three biocides as shown below.
1) Original contaminated ink, unfiltered & untreated (control)
2) Filtered but untreated ink (2nd control)
3) Filtered, 1 drop Tryphon Sterilink ("TS)
4) Filtered, 2 drops Tryphon Sterilink
5) Filtered, 3 drops Tryphon Sterilink
6) Filtered, 1 drop of Sporicidin Disinfectant Solution ("SPOR")
7) Filtered, 2 drops of Sporicidin Disinfectant Solution
8) Filtered, 3 drops of Sporicidin Disinfectant Solution
9) Filtered, 1 drop Inkmaker's Propietary Biocide ("IPB")
10) Filtered, 2 drops Inkmaker's Propietary Biocide ("IPB")
Now the vials sit on a bookshelf, not in direct sunlight, but not put away in a drawer. I will look at them every 1-2 weeks, and report the results. I have the highest hopes for the Sporicidin because of its phenol. Perhaps even the Steril-Ink will work at doses 10/20/30 times as much as Giovani said was needed.