The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Beautiful Jinhao 111 (first Review!)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tweexcore

tweexcore

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:12

I bought this on a whim on sale at stylos.se, liking the way it looked in photos and well, who can resist a pretty and cheap new pen? I think when I took it out of the envelope it was love at first sight-the glossy finish! The pretty crystals! The streamlined elegance! It came with no packaging and I think does just fine without any. It was an utter delight and wonderful surprise that exceeded expectations.

Posted Image

Appearance & Design: 5

I think when I took this out of the envelope it was love at first sight-the glossy finish! The pretty crystals! The streamlined elegance! I love the subtle shape of the pen, how it is slightly wider at the top of the cap, narrows, expands slightly after the grip, then narrows and thins again to the end. The line of small crystals around cap adds not too much sparkle but just enough to be eye catching. The clip is quite elegant, slim and modern, and I can gaze at the top circle of clear crystals for hours.

Posted Image

Construction & Quality: 4.5

The pen is incredibly well made for how much it costs. It feels like an expensive pen in hand, and all the parts click together without flaw. It also feels solid enough to carry around in my bag without much worry, low fuss for such a pretty pen.

Weight & Dimensions: 5

This is basically the perfect weight and size for me, surprisingly substantial, and when posted seem to strike the perfect balance, as the cap is actually rather heavy and suits the slimmer bottom half of the pen. The grip is just wide enough to be comfortable, though slightly short, and in all feels like the way I'd imagined a fountain pen should in hand.

Nib & Performance: 4.5
Posted Image

This is a hooded nib, which I've never had experience with before, but think I rather like. It is amazingly smooth and writes very very well. There were no specifications, but it writes like a fine (pretty comparable to my Safari EF), with lovely flow, and no scratchiness what so ever. It does skip occasionally and has to be maintained at the right angle,

Posted Image
Sorry about the crappy handwriting...why does it always look so much worse photographed? Written on Clarefontaine with Diamine Umber.

Filling System & Maintenance: 2.5
Posted Image

I hate this converter. Hate it, because it looks cheap and it feels cheap, and it is cheap, and it is difficult to fill it up, and it looks like it might break at any moment, and in fact at one point I panicked because my pen stopped writing, and had to press down on the converter to let out a bit of the air to get the ink to flow again. I guess this is a clear case of you get what you pay for--but it works, and for this price point (and every positive about the pen) it is something I can live with.

Posted Image

Cost & Value: 5++!

I paid about $12 for this pen and I think that is rather incredible for the quality, appearance, and general loveliness of this pen. I have not seen this exact model anywhere on Ebay, but I believe you can find similar Jinhao pens at similar price points and it is well, well worth it.

Conclusion: 4.5

This is really a remarkable pen for the price. It is gorgeous, looks and feels and writes like a far more expensive pen, but was so inexpensive that I have no fear of using it on quite a regular basis. I still can't stop marveling at how damned pretty it is and for that reason will probably use it as much as possible. The converter is a bit (bleep), yes, but thankfully that is the part that I won't have to look at or deal with very often. I'm in love with this pen, and unfortunately I haven't found any other Jinhao that struck my fancy aesthetically as much as this did...but I'll be on the look out for more if i can. Love, love love, really.

Posted Image
It doesn't hurt that it and a white Safari makes a pretty pair!

Edited by tweexcore, 14 October 2010 - 00:18.

http://laurayan.com

Sponsored Content

#2 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:45

nice pen! :thumbup:
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#3 diamon153

diamon153

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:00

I love Jinhao pens also. They might not be the best pen producer, but their price is irresistible.

#4 Halden

Halden

former-Letter Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:49

I seriously thought about this pen today while surfing around ebay... this makes it a bit more tempting
In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2010 - 00:52

Love Meep!

Cute pen. If I ever buy pens again this will be high on the list. Thanks for the review.

Sponsored Content

|