Parker Jotter Stainless Steel Ballpoint Pen

koolashy

Hello Friends,

Please tell me weather Parker Jotter Stainless Steel Ballpoint Pen also has plastic interiors like that of Parker Vector Stainless steel Fountain Pen ?

Please tell me with reference to the latest models of Parker Jotter pens available in the market.

Looking forward for your replies...

Edited to add that by plastic interiors I meant the plastic linings inside the cap and barrel of the pens and not the interior mechanism of lowering the refill.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by koolashy

PEN is my weapon and INK is my ammunition...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• streeton

• pvector

• MLKirk

• Ford Madox Prefect

If you mean the interior mechanism that controls the cartridge when you depress the cap button, yes. I think it's been that way for about the last 30 years or so. In terms of reliability of the plastic mechanisms, I can't speak about the most recent production, but Jotters I've had over the last 5-7 years that have the plastic mechanism have functioned well for me. However, if you're looking for the earlier brass mechanisms, looking for a vintage US made version is probably the surest way to get one, since the changeover to the plastic mechanism happened closer to the end of the time Jotters were still being produced in Janesville.

Hope this answers your question.

If you mean the interior mechanism that controls the cartridge when you depress the cap button, yes. I think it's been that way for about the last 30 years or so. In terms of reliability of the plastic mechanisms, I can't speak about the most recent production, but Jotters I've had over the last 5-7 years that have the plastic mechanism have functioned well for me. However, if you're looking for the earlier brass mechanisms, looking for a vintage US made version is probably the surest way to get one, since the changeover to the plastic mechanism happened closer to the end of the time Jotters were still being produced in Janesville.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks nxn96 for your kind reply... This reply of yours answered one of my other queries which I had in mind. But actually by plastic interiors I meant the plastic linings (which contain the threadings for closing the pen) which are found inside the bodies of parker vectors. So are these plastic linings also found inside the jotter stainless steel ballpoint pens ?? Or are the bodies of Jotters fully of stainless steel?

PEN is my weapon and INK is my ammunition...

With the caveat that my knowledge of "newer" Jotters is with ones that are at least a year or two old: The barrel threading on the Jotter Flighter is all metal, whereas the threading inside the cap is plastic (I believe it is part of the entire mechanism design I discussed in my earlier response).

With the closedown of the Newhaven facility in the UK, I believe Jotter production has been transferred to Asia. I haven't seen any Jotters sourced from there, so I can't say if the "all metal" barrel is still the case. However, for anything produced in the UK, it should be. If you look at the barrel design of a UK Jotter Flighter (lucky for you I had one handy this morning as I write this), the barrel threading appears to be a separate piece inserted into the barrel shell. Therefore, you could conceivably substitute a plastic threading in the barrel; I just don't know if that's what they're doing nowadays.

Once again, hope this helps you. Hopefully, another Forum member who has looked into the newer Jotters will also respond to this.

I have one of the new Premium Jotters that are supposedly made in Asia.

The construction doesn't differ much from a UK made one. The threads on the barrel are metal, and in the top part of the pen is a threaded plastic insert.

I also noted that there is no logo on the button, and the clip is tighter (a bit too much on the tight side for me).

Have a nice day!

Steve

The new Parker Jotter Premium Ballpens and the "normal" Jotter Ballpens are now made in France. The IM-Range and the Urban-Range are made in China.

I'm very surprised about the built quality of the China-made pens :thumbup:

Edited by uetzi

A quote from a Monty Python song:

If Darwin is anything to shout about,

The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

You're perfectly right, the I.M. line looks gorgeous (especially in blue) and feels really solid.

Edited by scrawlhand

Have a nice day!

Steve

The new Parker Jotter Premium Ballpens and the "normal" Jotter Ballpens are now made in France. The IM-Range and the Urban-Range are made in China.

I tend to agree with you that they may now be made in France. That is what I heard, however, I have not been able to confirm it with any source of authority. I was going to post a question why others thought the Jotters were now made in Asia as I have not heard that at all.

With regard to the quality of the China-made pens, do you mean that the quality is better than you expected?

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

I tend to agree with you that they may now be made in France. That is what I heard, however, I have not been able to confirm it with any source of authority. I was going to post a question why others thought the Jotters were now made in Asia as I have not heard that at all.

With regard to the quality of the China-made pens, do you mean that the quality is better than you expected?

I have no evidence either MLK, but when the premium jotter pen does not show a MADE IN ... on the pen my mind flips straight over to China. In the absence of something solid from Parker it's their problem if we speculate.

I've spoken with Sanford Germany. They told me, that Jotter and Vector Production will move to Nantes, France.

Yes, the quality is better than i expected. They feel very heavy, the build quality ist very good and the Parker I.M fountain pen writes very smooth and fine!

I think after the bad news about parker we have to search for good news ...

I would still like to know where my Jotter Premium was made. In yet another attempt to finally answer this question I checked the outer packaging on my premium jotter and found the following: JOT PRM CSS CH BP M.BLU GB - note the GB at the end which I am thinking means (made in)Great Britain. Nothing certain here but combined with the date code of N. (4th qtr 2009) when Newhaven was still open, it seems the most logical answer. But again, I speculate.

Edited by streeton

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and greetings to All. Well met!

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading it for quite some time. I have been buying Jotters for many years, and I just bought my first post-Newhaven Jotter.

I was terrified of my favorite ballpoint going the way of many others into the mire of cheap Made In China quality. I looked at the barrel and it indicates it was made in

France. I looked at it closely and the quality is better than the last few UK Jotters I've bought. The mechanism also seems to be either a darker plastic or perhaps they

have gone back to metal. In any case, it is with great relief that I am using this new Jotter for writing checks and other important business, as well my journal. To the new

Jotter I say bonjour. I imagine all of them will be from France now. I am in the West Coast of the US, so even here it seems French Jotters are what you'll find.

Edited by Ford Madox Prefect

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading it for quite some time. I have been buying Jotters for many years, and I just bought my first post-Newhaven Jotter.

I was terrified of my favorite ballpoint going the way of many others into the mire of cheap Made In China quality. I looked at the barrel and it indicates it was made in

France. I looked at it closely and the quality is better than the last few UK Jotters I've bought. The mechanism also seems to be either a darker plastic or perhaps they

have gone back to metal. In any case, it is with great relief that I am using this new Jotter for writing checks and other important business, as well my journal. To the new

Jotter I say bonjour. I imagine all of them will be from France now. I am in the West Coast of the US, so even here it seems French Jotters are what you'll find.

Hi Ford

Thanks for the good post. Now the question of the day: Where did you buy your post-Newhaven Jotter? I'm at the Ohio Pen Show right now (all weekend) and haven't seen anything as yet. But there are more to unearth. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

Hi Ford, this post has started the intrigue. Can you please give us more details of your jotter:

Date Code? Color of barrel.

Regards

Edited by streeton

Hi Ford

Thanks for the good post. Now the question of the day: Where did you buy your post-Newhaven Jotter? I'm at the Ohio Pen Show right now (all weekend) and haven't seen anything as yet. But there are more to unearth. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Hi Mike, I bought the pen at an Office Depot in Rancho Cucamonga California. It was in the most recent blister pack design, it has no P on the cap, and it does not say Made in France, but just France. It is an all stainless model with a stainless steel cap and barrel. Unfortunately I do not have the blister pack anymore, but it was the most recent design with the circle and arrow Parker logo. The sticker on the back said "Made in UK or France" and stated the origin would be indicated on the barrel. That is probably done because they still have some UK stock. The person at the shop said they were brand new and the shipment just came in. It does seem, however, that less office stores stock Parker pens these days. I remember not too long ago they even had them in Target and Wal Mart. If Parker has new items at the Pen show, they may have these new Jotters. If not, it was an Office Depot store.

Hi Ford, this post has started the intrigue. Can you please give us more details of your jotter:

Date Code? Color of barrel.

Regards

Hi. The color of the pen barrel is stainless steel. Unfortunately I do not have the blister pack anymore with the date, but it was the most recent design with the circle and arrow logo. Over the place where it used to say "made in UK" was a sticker that said "made in UK or France" and which indicated the answer would be on the pen barrel. The person at the store indicated it was a new shipment that came in within the last few days. Along with the stainless body, there is no P on the cap. Also, the threads on the cap are not white plastic but either very dark

plastic or metal. The barrel says France 110.

Edited by Ford Madox Prefect

Great info, Ford. Thanks!

Parker is not at the Ohio Pen Show in an official capacity so I doubt these will be here unless an exhibitor/dealer bought some in.

Very interesting that it has no cap button imprint. Is it still a domed top or dished (concave)?

Since it is the start of a new stream of date coding for Parker, it was anyone's guess which coding theme Parker would choose. My guess is that the number "110" after "France" could mean 2nd Quarter, 2010. If true, then this means Parker abandoned the QUALITYPEN theme of date coding and is using actual numbers for the year, continuing with the 1's or | character for quarter designation. This is PURE speculation so don't take it to the bank as I could be wrong. I don't want to spread misinformation. Time will tell.:mellow:

Those of you that are gamblers can put money on the odds of my stopping at an Office Depot tomorrow, on my way back home to Michigan from Columbus.:roflmho:

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Great info, Ford. Thanks!

Parker is not at the Ohio Pen Show in an official capacity so I doubt these will be here unless an exhibitor/dealer bought some in.

Very interesting that it has no cap button imprint. Is it still a domed top or dished (concave)?

Since it is the start of a new stream of date coding for Parker, it was anyone's guess which coding theme Parker would choose. My guess is that the number "110" after "France" could mean 2nd Quarter, 2010. If true, then this means Parker abandoned the QUALITYPEN theme of date coding and is using actual numbers for the year, continuing with the 1's or | character for quarter designation. This is PURE speculation so don't take it to the bank as I could be wrong. I don't want to spread misinformation. Time will tell.:mellow:

Those of you that are gamblers can put money on the odds of my stopping at an Office Depot tomorrow, on my way back home to Michigan from Columbus.:roflmho:

Nice theory about the date coding - seems very plausible. Another possibility for '110' could be 1st qtr 2010 '1 10'. Parker have been known to use 2 digit numerals for the year in their old sixties refills...they may be getting NOSTALGIC pangs (some hopes).

Thanks Ford for the info - Parker might be using the West coast of USA as the sales guinea pig - see if it floats the boat of the west coasters. I find it interesting that Parker would market the USA west coast - with the recent 2009 Jotter Ecotime they were sold initially in Eastern and southern Europe. This being a flighter may make some difference. Now for the colored 2010 jotters, I am feeling a slight unease, will there be any?

Edited by streeton

Nice theory about the date coding - seems very plausible. Another possibility for '110' could be 1st qtr 2010 '1 10'. Parker have been known to use 2 digit numerals for the year in their old sixties refills...they may be getting NOSTALGIC pangs (some hopes).

Thanks Ford for the info - Parker might be using the West coast of USA as the sales guinea pig - see if it floats the boat of the west coasters. I find it interesting that Parker would market the USA west coast - with the recent 2009 Jotter Ecotime they were sold initially in Eastern and southern Europe. This being a flighter may make some difference. Now for the colored 2010 jotters, I am feeling a slight unease, will there be any?

Streeton, your date code idea seems every bit as plausible.

I'm hoping that colors come back soon. I heard that assets were sent to Mexico after Janesville eliminated it's presence last March. Keep your eyes & ears open.

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum