The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

S.T. Dupont Andalusia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 22:31

ST Dupont Andalusia

Length: 5 ¾ inches capped, Just under 5 ¼ inches from tip of nib to end of barrel. (I would not recommend posting this pen)

Weight: 1.9oz capped, 1.2oz uncapped

Materials used: Platinum plated metal body and cap, 3 colors Chinese lacquer, inlaid turquoise, platinum plated 18k/750 gold nib

Filling system: Cartridge / Converter

Edition size: 2,500 Fountain pens, 2,500 Pens/Pencils

The ST DuPont Andalusia is based on the art of azulejos or tiles. Around the 8th century, the Moors of Andalusia, Spain, introduced this medium in both art and architecture. Here are a couple of photos of how the azulejos were used:

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

The body of the Andalusia is based on ST DuPont’s Orpheo. This is a large size pen. The entire body of this pen is meticulously engraved. Along with the engraving are carefully placed “azulejos”, done in ST DuPont’s famed Chinese lacquer. The 3 colors of Chinese lacquer add warmth and contrast nicely with the platinum plated metal body, forming a stunning design on both barrel and cap. One of my favorite features of this pen is the inlaid turquoise just above the grip of the pen. Turquoise has always been a favorite stone of mine that takes me back to my visits to the Indian reservations with my father. We have bought several pieces of turquoise jewelry for both us and my sister. A beautiful stone!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Detail of grip section showing inlaid turquoise
Posted Image

When I purchased the Andalusia, I had already made up my mind that I was going to use it. I had read of review on the pen prior to buying it on Stylophiles Magazine where the author stated he believed many of the pens would never see the likes of ink. Too bad, this is the smoothest writer in my collection. Nib to paper is literally like sliding on ice, no matter what paper I have used. The nib is a Broad; however I have debated sending it off to Pendemonium for a regrind to a cursive italic. They have done a great job on my other pens; however I still worry about loosing the smoothness of the nib. I have only used one ink in this pen, Private Reserve Naples Blue. The color goes great with the design of the pen, and has a good wet flow. Uncapped, the pen fit’s perfectly in my hand. The heavier weight is well balanced allowing for long periods of writing without fatigue. I can easily recommend the Andalusia as a daily writer.

Another important feature of this pen is the pocket clip. When I where a sports jacket, suit, or even my tux, I like to place a pen in the outer pocket where many choose to place a handkerchief. Me, I like the looks of a single fountain pen in this location. The smooth Andalusia clip is spring loaded and allows the clip to easily glide over thicker materials to hold the pen firmly in place.

So, would I recommend this pen? You bet! If you like the design and your budget will allow (I purchased mine at Joon for $817.00 plus shipping), you can’t go wrong with the Andalusia. It’s the complete package of good looks and great performance.

Edited by Bryan, 21 March 2005 - 02:00.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2005 - 00:03

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the great review!

I have an Orpheo myself, which is, in a way, the plain version of this pen, and it is a great writng machine :D .

Considering the origins of the design of the Andalusia, you might want to try Noodler's Ottoman Azure in this pen, as the colour of the ink is based on the variations in blue of the same Moor tiles.

Because of the wet flow indicated, I would think you get shading which would almost cover the whole spectrum of colours employed in the patterns on the pen itself. That may well be a very pleasing combination.

Kind regards,
Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#3 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:34

Hi Bryan,

Considering the origins of the design of the Andalusia, you might want to try Noodler's Ottoman Azure in this pen, as the colour of the ink is  based on the variations in blue of the same Moor tiles.

Because of the wet flow indicated, I would think you get shading which would almost cover the whole spectrum of colours employed in the patterns on the pen itself. That may well be a very pleasing combination.

Kind regards,
Wim

Hello Wim,

I think you're right on with Noodler's Ottoman Azure. I just placed an order for a bottle. I also order a bottle of Aircorp Blue-Black. Why buy just one when you can have two!!

Bryan
Posted Image

#4 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:33

Great review, Bryan! It's a gorgeous pen and it caught my eye a long time ago (as did the Visconti Alhambra limited edition....both based on Moorish designs, coincidentally...)
I think it's wonderful that you are using (and greatly enjoying) this beautiful pen. Thank you for sharing your appreciation of it with all of us :)
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#5 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2005 - 14:10

Hi Bryan,

I think you're right on with Noodler's Ottoman Azure. I just placed an order for a bottle. I also order a bottle of Aircorp Blue-Black. Why buy just one when you can have two!!

What, just two bottles? :lol:

Hey, as a contrast, you could get some Ottoman Rose as well...

Kind regards,
Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#6 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:02

New pictures added.

Enjoy,

Bryan
Posted Image

#7 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:17

Thanks Bryan, very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing!
Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#8 Bryan

Bryan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 15:26

Just an update,

I sent the Andalusia off to Pendemonium and had the nib reground to a cursive italic. I had mentioned in my review that I was worried that with a regrind I would loose the smoothness of the nib. Well, the nib is still very smooth and I have great line variation! I am always so amazed at how a custom regrind breath new life into a pen, I know that soon all my pens with have custom nibs, it just makes the whole writing experience that much more enjoyable!

I'll try to post some scans tonight showing the new line variation I'm getting with this pen.

Bryan
Posted Image

#9 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 15:55

Yet another one I missed when it was first done - thanks for bumping it! Nice review, and a beautiful piece of functional pocket jewelry at that!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#10 Plumes

Plumes

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:11

Hi All,

Would anyone have some "workshop" pictures of this pen parts ?..or any Olympio series.

I am trying to stop myself from buying yet another pen while looking for a daily writer, and the original review (March 2005 !) seems to comfort me in picking this one out of the collection. It's not a "very very" special edition of 2500 pieces (safe for its age now), and could well be unsheathed during a meeting without shouting "look at me!"...and make me feel embarrassed rather than proud...

However, there seem to be problem with the nib. It looks like it's misaligned, and the insert holding the nib in the body is moving when the body is removed. It is however well in place when the body is screwed on, because I suppose it holds the whole thing together. Not sure you se wheat I mean, but I can try to post some pictures later to help.

Taking it to a Dupont repair center would certainly be the safest option, but it may cost me an eye for something I maybe can do myself with the little help of the real experts here..

Many thanks for any input you may have.

Have a great day !

#11 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:32

A bit too ostentatious for me but I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship.

Sponsored Content

|