The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer 330

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hecya

hecya

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2010 - 23:58

Sheaffer 330 XF

One day I had this idea of getting at least a pen from every known manufacturer. So far I have complied with Pelikan, Sailor, Pilot, Parker, Lamy, TWSBI and Rotring. So that when I found on ebay a decent looking Sheaffer pen I decided to add it to my small collection.

The model was listed as Sheaffer 330 dated from the 70´s and new, never used.

Packaging 1/5
The pen came rolled in bubble plastic. No original packaging.

First Impressions 3/5
The body feels cheap as there is almost no decoration on it and the plastic is, well, cheap.

Appearance & Design 7/10
The pen body is completely black with the exception of the clip that is silver in color with a white dot and a silver colored band in the middle. Very austere looking.

Taking the cap out the story is different as the characteristic inlaid nib adds a touch of class to the pen.

The cap click into place very secure with the help of a thin metal ring on the barrel that has three small prongs.

Construction & Quality 7/10
Nothing special here. No scratches or defects. The nib looks solid and well made.

Nib & Performance 9/10
The inlaid nib is very different from all other pens I have tried and its performance is absolutely fantastic, specially considering that it is an XF. It is smoother than my Pilot Prera F and as smooth as a Parker or Lamy.

One test I use to check the ink flow is to quickly move the wrist several times to the right in order to get a quick succession of diagonal lines. This pen gets the test done with no skipping. This can not be said from all my other pens except the Sailor Air.

The nib is made from steel.

Dimensions 8/10
The pen is very light and I would like it to be heavier and more substantial. It is also a bit on the short side but capped has a very convenient length and a perfect balance. Despite being short and light the shirt pocket does not sag because of the small weight.

Filling system & Maintenance 8/10
The pen came with a squeeze-type converter. I guess generic as it has no brand or mark on it.

Cost & Value 8/10
I bought it from 'terim' on ebay for US$37.95 plus US$6.00 shipping to Mexico in September 2010. It took three weeks to arrive. I guess it was a bit expensive but it is a unique pen among my small collection.

Conclusion 8/10
It is a perfect pen for work where something fancier could be seen as too flashy or you as trying to get much attention. Its conservative look is balanced by the beautiful nib and its performance is among the best.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:33

i'm very happy with mine.
allow me to post a photo or two of the pen (taken from Teri's site):
Posted Image
Posted Image

congrats and thx for the review!

#3 hecya

hecya

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:09

I was afraid that the pen being so light would end in my drawer as I like heavy pens but now I use it daily at all times. I tried today to write with my M215 and I felt it too heavy in comparison.

All in all, this Sheaffer pen is quite a wonderful writer.

I liked the burgundy color.

#4 kuno

kuno

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:43

Very nice pen! I never warmed to the shorter style inlaid nib as I did to the older, PFM/Targa "elongated diamond" nib. Perhaps this opinion will change after reading your review..

#5 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 17:41

Just got my second one, with an F nib, and it writes wonderfully. Does anyone know when the 330 was added to Sheaffer's lineup? From the little poking around I just did, looks like sometime in the mid 70s?
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Sponsored Content

|