The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Pearl

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John B

John B

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2010 - 20:39

This is my first stab at a pen review so please bear with me. I will try to stick with the form as much as I can so I don't lose anyone. After reading reviews and looking at pictures I decided to have Brian at Edison Pen Company build me a pen. My initial thought was a Pearl in matte black ebonite, red section, rhodium clip and an Edison 18k fine nib. However after looking through the archives on his site I found a material that I liked better. It is crossgrain ivory celluloid and it really caught my eye. So after emailing Brian we decided on a Pearl with crossgrain ivory cap, finial and barrel. Black section with a gold clip and 18k broad nib. Not a very manly man pen, but I am too old to worry about that. I have attached some pictures.

Appearance and Design: 10
It turned out to be a very attractive pen on a classic design. Had I thought of it at the time I would have had Brian fill in the name etching with black to add a little highlight.

Construction and Quality: 10
All of the materials were top notch. The work appears to be flawless. Brian's craftsmanship is superb; he has a good eye for details.

Weight and Dimensions ??
The width at the widest point is 5/8"
Length capped 5 1/2"
Length uncapped 5"
Length posted 7"
I do not have a scale, but it is surprisingly heavy from its appearance. Not heavy but not light either.

Nib and Performance: 10
One of the things I really like about Edison Pens is their imprint on their nibs, really classy. I got the gold colored 18k gold broad nib. It says on their web site that Brian works on the nibs before they are sent out and I believe it. It writes a smooth as silk and puts down a medium wet broad line.

Filling system and Maintenance:??
Standard C/c filling. Too new for maintenance.

Cost / Value: 10
For me this was big investment for a pen, compared to many pens on the sale forum it is a mere drop in the bucket. However I think that the resale value (I don't plan on selling this one) of one of Brian’s pens will always
be maintained. Also just being able to have a pen made just the way you want is something that is hard to put a price tag on. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

Conclusion.
Very cool pen as far as I am concerned. I esteem Brian's work. A custom maker of any product is a real luxury. Had I gone to Parker, Sheaffer, MB or any of the other big companies a one off would have either been the joke of the day, or a take out a new mortgage deal. But Brian was happy to do it for a price we both agreed on. I think every community should support their artists and Brian is one of them.

Photos by Brian at Edison Pens

Attached Images

• edison2.jpg
  • edison1.jpg

Edited by John B, 06 October 2010 - 21:09.

Sponsored Content

#2 Treecat

Treecat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 20:47

John, this is a very good review and a very nice pen. I've admired Brian's work from afar and would like, one day, to get a pen from him. I like the grain in the ivory celluloid, and I like the black section. It frees you from too much worry about staining the ivory.

And -- nice photos! :)

#3 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 21:56

Oh wow. THAT is GORGEOUS!

The black section is inspired! Wow. Amazing looking... and an Edison!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#4 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2010 - 22:07

Nice review! That's a very cool effect with the cross-grained celluloid. I have several Edison pens (and counting) and they are the best kept secrets in pendom in my humble opinion. :thumbup:
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#5 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 22:47

That's gorgeous -- really like that material. And Brian's work is always top-notch. Enjoy! HP
The sky IS falling. C. Little

#6 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2010 - 23:28

Great review of a beautiful pen. The crossgrain ivory gives it that nice old world charm =)

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#7 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• All Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2010 - 00:46

:drool: :puddle:
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#8 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

r

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:35

Congratulations on your new Edison Pearl! I have a torti Lucite Pearl, clipless - and the Urushi Pearl which is also clipless. Every time I see a new Pearl I want one............and yours is no exception - that material is amazingly classic and classy! :thumbup:
Each day is the start of the rest of your life!
Make it count!!!

#9 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:08

Very tempted to get one myself. Thanks for the review! :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

#10 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:43

Every time I see a new Pearl I want one.

I know what you mean! They come in about a million different colours and materials and Brian's service is second to none.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#11 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:18

Wow! That's just ... wow...

#12 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2010 - 13:22

Beautiful. That ivory celluloid is absolutely stunning. I love the contrast with the gold clip and black section.

As for maintainence, Brian's pens are really easy DIY. I believe the nib unit will probably screw out easily if you're careful and know how - just email Brian and check with him. Otherwise, his aftersales is top notch and he'd probably do it for you for the cost of posting the pen there and back!

Every time I think about which pen to bring back into rotation, I think about my Pearl.
In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#13 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:21

Super nice pen you've got there... Posted Image I'll bet it looks even better in person too!

Thanks for reviewing it!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#14 mori45

mori45

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:51

That is a great looking pen. Thanks for the review John.

#15 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 17:32

- Very nice color scheme and choice of materials. Looks great.

I really need to try an Edison.

Sponsored Content

|