Homemade Black Walnut Ink

fiberdrunk

It's that time of year when black walnuts are ready to harvest. I found someone on Craigslist who was giving black walnuts away free, so I thought I'd try to make ink out of them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with making their own black walnut ink? I'd be especially interested in knowing how to preserve it, as I am making a large batch. I'd hate to go to all this trouble (with stained fingers!) only to have my ink mold over. Thanks!

This is a pretty interesting article: Making Black Walnut Ink.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddler

• fiberdrunk

• wallylynn

• dsatco

I have been making it for about a year. I must have a pint of it in different batches made throughout the year. Some I made with iron and some without. I can't get SterilInk or Ink Safe to preserve it, even at twice the recommended dose. I have used copper to good effect. Ethyl alcohol works well at a concentration of 10%. It causes some feathering and bleeding with some types of paper. Isopropyl is exactly twice as bad for feathering and bleeding.

The ink is very water resistant and very resistant to fading in strong light.

Paddler

Edited to add: I just looked over the link you gave. You don't have to use blackened husks. Green ones work well. You don't need rusty iron. Use clean, fresh steel wool in the finished ink so you can control the darkening. Filter the extract BEFORE you reduce the volume.

Edited by Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I have been making it for about a year. I must have a pint of it in different batches made throughout the year. Some I made with iron and some without. I can't get SterilInk or Ink Safe to preserve it, even at twice the recommended dose. I have used copper to good effect. Ethyl alcohol works well at a concentration of 10%. It causes some feathering and bleeding with some types of paper. Isopropyl is exactly twice as bad for feathering and bleeding.

The ink is very water resistant and very resistant to fading in strong light.

Paddler

Edited to add: I just looked over the link you gave. You don't have to use blackened husks. Green ones work well. You don't need rusty iron. Use clean, fresh steel wool in the finished ink so you can control the darkening. Filter the extract BEFORE you reduce the volume.

Thank you thank you! Can't wait! The husks are soaking in water right now.

I'm jealous. Seems like a bad harvest year here. I can't find any, just an occasional shell. Maybe the squirrels got all of them.

I am working on a description of my recipe and all the stuff I found out in the last year of experimenting. The logbook is rather thick. I will post writing samples of black walnut ink (Juglans nigra) and butternut ink (Juglans cinerea) with and without iron. I also have worked out a formula to calculate how much whiskey to add to the ink, given the amount of raw ink, the desired alcohol concentration in the finished ink, and the proof of the whiskey. I don't have an equation editor, so unfortunately you will have to do a little kitchen algebra to solve the thing.

We had a huge crop of walnuts here. In spring, I drove a half dozen fertilizer spikes around the drip line of a walnut tree in our yard. It yielded a wagonload of baseball sized walnuts. I removed the husks by putting the nuts in the driveway and driving over them with my car. This smashes the husk and leaves the nutshells intact. The husk is what you use to make ink.

Paddler

I am working on a description of my recipe and all the stuff I found out in the last year of experimenting. The logbook is rather thick. I will post writing samples of black walnut ink (Juglans nigra) and butternut ink (Juglans cinerea) with and without iron. I also have worked out a formula to calculate how much whiskey to add to the ink, given the amount of raw ink, the desired alcohol concentration in the finished ink, and the proof of the whiskey. I don't have an equation editor, so unfortunately you will have to do a little kitchen algebra to solve the thing.

We had a huge crop of walnuts here. In spring, I drove a half dozen fertilizer spikes around the drip line of a walnut tree in our yard. It yielded a wagonload of baseball sized walnuts. I removed the husks by putting the nuts in the driveway and driving over them with my car. This smashes the husk and leaves the nutshells intact. The husk is what you use to make ink.

Paddler

You put whiskey in ink?! Didn't that make it taste funny?

It's an acquired taste.

Paddler

Wow, you mean I can have my scotch and write with it to?!? :thumbup:

Currently Inked:

Montegrappa Extra 1930 Shiny Lines "Dove" L.E. (05/80) - Montblanc Permanent Grey (90yr Anniversary)

Pineider Arco - Monteverde Scotch Brown

Montblanc Rouge et Noir - Montblanc Bleu Nuit

Montblanc Meisterstuck Ultra Black - Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Maxi - J. Herbin Lie de Thé

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

Paddler

Would love to see your conclusions/formulas. I was also glad to find out the ink is water resistant and fadeproof. I love that in an ink! And it's all the better if I can make it myself.

That's brilliant how you de-husked your walnuts! The greenest ones, I sliced up with a knife. The cracked/blackish ones were soft enough to tear apart with my hands (lots of worms in those... ew!) I went through a couple pairs of rubber gloves because they kept tearing. My fingers are very stained. Next time, I'll try running them over! Great tip!

It's an acquired taste.

Paddler

Does it have to be good whiskey? Or can I finally use up my stock of Corio? (In-joke for fellow Aussies...)

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Next time, I'll try running them over! Great tip!

Be careful that you don't wind up with a bunch of broken windows as the nuts shoot out from under the tires. I just stomp on them or bash with a rock. If that doesn't work, I let it rot (ripen) until softer.

Next time, I'll try running them over! Great tip!

Be careful that you don't wind up with a bunch of broken windows as the nuts shoot out from under the tires. I just stomp on them or bash with a rock. If that doesn't work, I let it rot (ripen) until softer.

Old cast iron hand- (or maybe foot-) powered corn shellers are sometimes used for removing walnut husks. Generally that's after the husks have dried and turned black. The object is usually to collect the nuts, so I don't know how well it would work for collecting the husks.

Hey...black walnut trees are worth a fortune. Where can I get some?

You can order seedlings from some seed catalogs. The Arbor Society sells them. To collect the fortune, though, you need the seedlings, several acres of land and about 40 years.

Paddler

You can order seedlings from some seed catalogs. The Arbor Society sells them. To collect the fortune, though, you need the seedlings, several acres of land and about 40 years.

Paddler

Can't wait that long. Tell me where they are and I'll share the money with you. Deal?

Edited by dsatco

Paddler

Can't wait that long. Tell me where they are and I'll share the money with you. Deal?

In 1965, I inherited some money and bought 10 acres of land with it. I couldn't wait either. I planted pines and locust trees instead of walnut. Now, I'm kicking myself.

Paddler

Paddler

In 1965, I inherited some money and bought 10 acres of land with it. I couldn't wait either. I planted pines and locust trees instead of walnut. Now, I'm kicking myself.

Paddler

Paddler, we coulda been rich. We coulda had class. We coulda been contenders. We coulda been somebody, instead of bums, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Paddler.

Share this quote