Dating Montblanc 149s

DKbRS

I have a 149 that doesn't fit into the wonderful chart:

Late plastic feed. 14k bi-color nib. Two piece body. Brass piston threads. Marked as "W-Germany" on the ring at the top of the cap. No serial no., though.

Bought new in 1990; has never been serviced so it's all original.

Only the late plastic feed does not fit in. can you post a picture of the feed?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 149 that doesn't fit into the wonderful chart:

Late plastic feed. 14k bi-color nib. Two piece body. Brass piston threads. Marked as "W-Germany" on the ring at the top of the cap. No serial no., though.

Bought new in 1990; has never been serviced so it's all original.

Only the late plastic feed does not fit in. can you post a picture of the feed?

Sure, here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/ecox/DSC09701.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/ecox/DSC09702.jpg

-Erik

Thanks Erik, it is certainly an "anomaly" as per the dating chart since the later feed did not exist at that time, as per the present state of understanding anyway. Are you the first owner of this pen having purchased it in 1990?

Thanks!

Hari

Edit: BTW, I had two examples, same in all respects as your pen down to W. Germany on Clip, except that both had the split HR feed.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Erik, it is certainly an "anomaly" as per the dating chart since the later feed did not exist at that time, as per the present state of understanding anyway. Are you the first owner of this pen having purchased it in 1990?

Thanks!

Hari

Edit: BTW, I had two examples, same in all respects as your pen down to W. Germany on Clip, except that both had the split HR feed.

Hari:

I know, it's an anomaly. It's especially odd as the later feed should've been created 4 or so years in the future!

I'm not the original owner. My father was, and when he retired, he gave the pen to me -- so I'm positive that this pen has never been serviced. Even if it had been serviced due to, say, a split HR feed feed breaking, I take it that MB should've had a split HR feed to replace it with. So I'm as stumped as you are!

-Erik

It is odd, especially given the back to the future connotations! Erik, given the provenance of your pen, I assume the most likely explanation is the the chart is out by 6 years with regard to the date for the introduction of the late plastic feed...

David

• 3 weeks later...

A recent early 60s 149 acquisition made me revisit this chart. The chart talks about a 18C bitone nib, I have personally never seen one, can anyone pls post some photographs of this nib?

Thanks!

Hari

A recent early 60s 149 acquisition made me revisit this chart. The chart talks about a 18C bitone nib, I have personally never seen one, can anyone pls post some photographs of this nib?

Thanks!

Hari

I thing that there isn't a two-tone 18c but only a three-tone 18c.

Thanks!

Hari

I have an 18K (not C) bi-tone nib on my 149.

I mentioned this in a previous post on this thread, but unfortunately I can't insert photos directly into my posts.

Thanks!

Hari

I have an 18K (not C) bi-tone nib on my 149.

I mentioned this in a previous post on this thread, but unfortunately I can't insert photos directly into my posts.

Yes, two-tone 18K is available on the 149...

Kai (sunnerd) and I have teamed up! We've consolidated his images and my chart, as follows:

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/DKbRS/Pens/MB149Dating-2.jpg

Amazing chart; I just shared it on FB, with full credit :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

This chart continues to become more and more interesting. It is a labor of love for all involved, and those of us who merely read, enjoy, and comment from the sidelines are enlightened by each additional post.

Guys, I've gotta disagree with the dates of the solid ebonite feed, split ebonite feed, and plastic feed, of which there are two generations. New in the box 149s which I purchased or were purchased as gifts for me in the US in the 1979 & 1980 still had a solid ebonite feed. I first saw a split ebonite feed on a 149 purchased in Amsterdam in the fall of 1981. Just under a year later, I purchased new 149s in Spain and Andorra, identical to my Amsterdam pen: single-piece barrel, two-tone 14C nib, split-ebonite feed. The transition date to plastic feed is correct, but there are two versions of that feed: ca 1991-1996 and 1996 to present. The second-generation plastic feed first appeared on the Dumas, just as the first-generation 3-tone 18K nib first appeared on the Hemingway. I know there are others who disagree with these dates, such as Erik with his very interesting and recently posted 149 with a second-generation feed. These friendly disagreements are the ways we continue to learn about this pen which has become something of an obsession with a couple of us.

Someday I'll figure out how to post photos of a 149 which will annoy or delight the experts. I built it from spare parts: early 60s barrel, 70s two-tone 14C nib, 1980s split-ebonite feed, 1980s cap & clip. Everything fits properly, and it's one of my best writers.

Thanks again for all of the interesting documentation.

SORRY GUYS, DIDN'T READ THE DATE ON THE CHART. THIS IS AN EARLIER VERSION. MY APOLOGIES FOR THE RANT ABOVE.

Edited by Barry Gabay

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 149 on Ebay. I have had what I now know to be a 144 for about 25 years and have always wanted a bigger Montblanc. But I'm confused about the age of my new 149. It's got black plastic piston threads, which the chart says would make it pre-1990. But it says "Germany", not "West Germany", which should make it post-1991 (or much earlier). The feeder looks like the "early plastic" image accompanying the chart. The nib is 18K tricolor, which would be post-1994. The barrel looks like a two-part. All these features except the plastic threads would be consistent with 1994, but if 1989 was the last year for plastic piston threads then five years seems like a long time for this to have been a "transitional" model. I would be deeply grateful for any expert advice. (I just took pictures of the above features, but they came out fuzzy. I will try to find a better camera.) Thanks so much.

Edited by reesgj

...but if 1989 was the last year for plastic piston threads then five years seems like a long time for this to have been a "transitional" model...

It is possible that the previous owner swapped the piston connector from brass to plastic due to weight preference etc.

Thanks!

Hari

Hari:

I know, it's an anomaly. It's especially odd as the later feed should've been created 4 or so years in the future!

I'm not the original owner. My father was, and when he retired, he gave the pen to me -- so I'm positive that this pen has never been serviced. Even if it had been serviced due to, say, a split HR feed feed breaking, I take it that MB should've had a split HR feed to replace it with. So I'm as stumped as you are!

-Erik

Hi Erik,

no! the normal procedure for Montblanc would be to replace the feed, if not the complete barrel. Thus, in case, you have your pen serviced, an ebonite feed (even if still OK) would automatically be replaced for a plastic feed of the last generation.

best regards

Tom

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

• 1 month later...

Does the gold content in the nib help in denoting when a MB 149 pen was made? I noticed the older fp with 750 while the modern pens are 585? Finally if a vintage 149 were to be sent in for overhaul would the factory issue the vintage pen a new serial number? I spotted an auction for a 149 that was from the 1970's and the owner had the pen "renovated" and was given a SN#. Thank you for creating a very informative chart it has been a great help in learning more about the Montblanc flagship fp!

Best Regards,

Mikale

Does the gold content in the nib help in denoting when a MB 149 pen was made? I noticed the older fp with 750 while the modern pens are 585? Finally if a vintage 149 were to be sent in for overhaul would the factory issue the vintage pen a new serial number? I spotted an auction for a 149 that was from the 1970's and the owner had the pen "renovated" and was given a SN#. Thank you for creating a very informative chart it has been a great help in learning more about the Montblanc flagship fp!

Older pens with the 585 were mainly destinated to the north american and some european markets, MB doesn't retsore pens they just change the parts of the pen because normally on a vintage pen you never have a serial number.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Let me just say that I, for one, have learnt more from this thread than anywhere or anything else on the 149. Thanks to the contributors.

• 1 month later...

I have access to blackberry only at this moment and browsing is limited so if I am repeating what has been discussed please excuse me.

At the MB boutique the technician put in the serial number of my pen and could tell me exactly when it was made. I guess all MB Boutiques will have access to this data although not to collectors and users in general but pens can be dated to the year of production by any boutique which has approved MB service facilities. That is how the technicians find out exactly what parts to order for replacement in case of 149s and sometimes even which tools to use for a specific model.

So in one go your pens manufacture date and authencity are both confirmed.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just received my first (!) 149 through the post. I have been addicted, I mean collecting, MBs for nine months now and have been following this thread with interest and would like to contribute. I bought my pen on e-bay at a good price, almost 'blind' as the seller gave only the briefest of descriptions and a fuzzy photo. Risky I know, but it rang true.

From this wonderful chart I think I can date my pen quite precisely to 1990. It has some features that might be interesting.

Nib, 18K 750 two-tone without the STOD mark, split ebonite feeder, 2-piece barrel, 'crisp' ring below filler knob, brass threads - and on the clip ring " W.-GERMANY GBS00178". I have read that early serial numbers could start with GE, for Germany, and would like to think that this is an early one and that GB stands for Great Britain, or Gross Brittainen. With re-unification of FRG and DDR on October 3rd 1990, this pen would seem to pre-date this, although I understand that clips already in production would continue to be used.

The nib has been re-ground, rather badly I think to an OB or thereabouts (I'm not experienced in this). It does write with a nice line variation now that I have re-aligned the tines (ever so carefully) and polished out the course grindstone marks. I shall try to post some photos later.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.