Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just learned something.

I bought a 149 in 1988 in Hong Kong. From a regular Montblanc stockist - not from some backstreet pen stall. It has lived in my jacket pocket ever since, accompanied by its pencil and ballpoint. Its not in concours condition; its just my everyday pen, and unsurprisingly it is showing signs of spending thirty years in a jacket pocket.

Around 1994 I got fed up with its erratic behaviour. It lurched between dry and blotting, and it leaked on aircraft.

I took it into the Montblanc agents in London, suggesting, in my innocence, that the nib might be in need of adjustment.

It went back and forth for a few months, with no improvement. My sense of humour did not improve.

Finally, they assured me that they had fixed it, and so they had; from that day to this, it has written very wet, but it has never blotted its copybook again.

I recognised the cap, but the rest of the pen seemed unfamiliar...

From the table, I see that my suspicions were correct; they had just given me a new pen, screwed into the old cap.

So, my friends, be warned by me; if you have. 149 that does not fit the table, there might be a very simple explanation...a Frankenpen created by Montblanc themselves...

(By the way, can anyone recommend a pensmith in the UK who can be trusted to service and adjust a 149?)

Edited by Methersgate

I bought a 149 in 1988 in Hong Kong. From a regular Montblanc stockist - not from some backstreet pen stall. It has lived in my jacket pocket ever since, accompanied by its pencil and ballpoint. Its not in concours condition; its just my everyday pen, and unsurprisingly it is showing signs of spending thirty years in a jacket pocket.

Around 1994 I got fed up with its erratic behaviour. It lurched between dry and blotting, and it leaked on aircraft.

I took it into the Montblanc agents in London, suggesting, in my innocence, that the nib might be in need of adjustment.

It went back and forth for a few months, with no improvement. My sense of humour did not improve.

Finally, they assured me that they had fixed it, and so they had; from that day to this, it has written very wet, but it has never blotted its copybook again.

From the table, I see that my suspicions were correct; they had just given me a new pen, screwed into the old cap.

So, my friends, be warned by me; if you have. 149 that does not fit the table, there might be a very simple explanation...a Frankenpen created by Montblanc themselves...

(By the way, can anyone recommend a pensmith in the UK who can be trusted to service and adjust a 149?)

This is why we dont recommend you send pens back to MB, if you want to keep period parts.

Even 40 years ago, when my father sent in his 149 for service, MB replaced everything they determined was broken, and sent back a pen where the only parts not replaced were the nib, clip and cap top (with the star).

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I wonder if they got tired of trying to fix it so they just gave you a new pen.

I wonder if they got tired of trying to fix it so they just gave you a new pen.

That is standard Montblanc repair procedure, they replace all parts that are not fit for purpose. If that is not to your liking then try for an independent pensmith.

Peter

Montblanc has had the "replace everything they believe needs replacing" for a number of decades now. I would guess the theory is that the customer wants a fully working pen, rather than worrying about whether the maximum number of vintage parts have been kept.

When I sent my 149 in to be serviced in the mid-1990's (I bought it in 1979), it needed a new barrel because of extensive little cracks in the interior. MB replaced the barrel and piston assembly, nib collar, and feed. I think they also replaced the larger part of the cap to get the threads to match up. I lost the split-ebonite feed, but I got a working pen that wasn't leaking around the piston. All of this was done for whatever the Level 1 service cost at the time, under US$70.

I think they've had the "replace everything broken" repair strategy since the 1960s or 1970s. It's mostly us pen enthusiasts who want to keep a pen as vintage as possible. At some point, I want to pick up some early 149s and 146s, because I like certain details better, but my lifelong 149 is still going strong as a writing tool.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I think the "replace everything they believe needs replacing" policy suits most people. I suppose the exception is when the pen has great sentimental value. As an example my Mother used an Onoto plunger-filler pen throughout the war when she was on fire watch in London. The plunger had long since ceased to work so she used it as a dip pen. She continued to use that pen, to keep her diary, until she died 25 years ago. I have that pen and value it but I will not have it repaired as that is how she used it all through those traumatic years of the war.

Peter

Thanks, Inkling, Kalessin, Matlock and Bluebellrose.

If I think about it, Montblancs way of going about things makes perfect sense. Skilled labour is expensive, and a repair may fail.

Better just chuck out anything doubtful and for new. Job done!

As time goes on, I realize that I am probably never actually going to use my Grandfather's pen. I don't think it was ever actually used all these decades. I am just frustrated because it should be enjoyed and not sitting in its original box and I'm STILL at work and renovating a 1924 cabin too which is consuming my life, but I digress. I may sell this MontBlanc honestly but want it to go to someone who would really appreciate it, not just to a random eBay/Amazon buyer looking to turn it over. Any suggestions from those who really LOVE these pens? I don't even know where to begin or if it is the proper thing to do, but downsizing is difficult and I DO have to let go of some items. Have no children to pass this on to either! I don't want this to sit unused for another century while the art gets lost. You guys have been amazing with helping me through the historical journey of this, so I am ashamed to say that I don't feel like I'll learn this beautiful skill:(

As time goes on, I realize that I am probably never actually going to use my Grandfather's pen. I don't think it was ever actually used all these decades. I am just frustrated because it should be enjoyed and not sitting in its original box and I'm STILL at work and renovating a 1924 cabin too which is consuming my life, but I digress. I may sell this MontBlanc honestly but want it to go to someone who would really appreciate it, not just to a random eBay/Amazon buyer looking to turn it over. Any suggestions from those who really LOVE these pens? I don't even know where to begin or if it is the proper thing to do, but downsizing is difficult and I DO have to let go of some items. Have no children to pass this on to either! I don't want this to sit unused for another century while the art gets lost. You guys have been amazing with helping me through the historical journey of this, so I am ashamed to say that I don't feel like I'll learn this beautiful skill:(

The threshold to using a 149 is likely much lower than you imagine. The pens are robust and don't take a lot of special care. Ink is pretty cheap and I am sure you have paper. This may just be a case of the leap being larger in your mind than in reality. You can make the jump! After that, should you still have no interest then a posting here on FPN classifieds will increase the chance the pen would go to someone who could appreciate it and use it. It is easy enough to communicate with prospective buyers and make a connection, much more so than in a place like eBay.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Zaddick...you are really the best! I appreciate the reassurance to a newbie in the hobby. Everyone has made me that much MORE in love with this. It's not daunting, however, it's a time issue for me. I'm sure everyone has a list of things they want to do...learn a third language, pack boxes to donate, travel here or there, reconnect with old friends, foster a dog, read that next book, whatever... but my list is getting pushed further and further back. It's absolutely not a lack of interest either, clearly due to all my questions/posts about a single pen:) I just don't see myself being able to add more to the list right now....should I shelve it or will I regret it later if I let it go? Not sure. Thanks, guys

I will say in the last several years used MB 149s have not gone down in price. Of course, who knows what the future holds but there should not be much financial risk for waiting to sell. Just something to consider among many deciding factors.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 1 month later...

I recently became the owner of a 149 and would like to confirm it's authentic and have some help dating it if it is. I apologize if this is not the proper forum for this. Here are some photos I took- let me know if I should provide more (they're taken with a cell phone so the quality is limited). https://imgur.com/a/hXB10

Edited by G116

• 1 month later...

I thought I never want a M 146.

Yesterday I understood I was wrong.

It was clear when I bought my next M 146 plus two more pens including a MB. 149 on top of that, I let so many opportunities slip not to own any more MB pens.

I was out of my mind and I am back. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cjayant