• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have two things going on there. One tip is higher than the other, but also the gap between the tips is uneven. The top on the nib is touching, he bottom is splayed out. You must get the gap between the tips even before going on to the next steps. The scratch you are feeling is the sharp inner surface if tines at the tip.

You can polish the scratch out, but you will never get optimal ink flow until you deal with the splayed tips.

It's a beautiful pen. Once you get it writing well I'm sure you're going to love it.

Best regards...Salt

Looks like one of the tines is a little off:

attachicon.giftip2.jpg

Do I just gently keep pushing that tine up until I can see that it gets better alignment? It almost looks twisted a little.

I sent it to the Fountain Pen Hospital. It wasn't quite perfect after my fiddling and I was worried about making it worse. I know the pros there will get it in proper working order. Whatever they charge for a nib adjustment will be less than I'd pay for a period replacement if I ruin it.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I just received this 149 with a bicolor 14C nib, solid ebonite feed, single piece barrel.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/not-great-men/P4230320_zpsbbgvl8gg.jpg

It has some amazing flex for the 1970s. I have some early 1960s pens (with friction fit pistons and tricolor 14C nibs) that flex this well, but never one from the bicolor 14C era. Certainly, though, the flex may have been enhanced by a nibmeister.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is still active in this post, but my friend just inherited a 149 that doesn't seem to fit any chart out there, so I am just trying to make sure it's not fake before I purchase it off of her.

FYI, I only have the pictures currently, so this is mostly off of the pictures. It has tricolor 18C nib, solid ebonite feed, not sure whether it's a single unit barrel or 2 section, black plastic thread with a flat gold ring.

See link for pictures: http://imgur.com/a/tEJfu

If anyone can provide some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Looks like an early 1970s to me with a BB nib or maybe a wide B. It has a one piece barrel, solid ebonite feed, and has a screw in piston unit with plastic threads. If it was earlier it would have had two grooves in the face (upslope) of the feed.

I am in the east bay if you want me to take a look in person (judging by your name you may be local). It is genuine and if it is from a friend I bet the price is good. These are some of my favorite 149s. If the nib is too wide I have some narrower nibs I could possibly swap with you as the broader nibs are less common and I don't like to see them ground down. Feel free to PM with follow up or to discuss a fair price.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Comparing to the 18C Broad nib on my 149, that one has to be at least a BB. To bad the body and cap are a bit rough, but it should be a great writer for those who like the broader nibs.

Absolutely a BB nib.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 4 weeks later...

HI, Zaddick. Thanks for all the great info on the 149s! You mentioned in an earlier post that my press type piston from my grandfather's 1960ish pen must be heated in order to fill...how would a novice owner do this without damage to the pen? I think you are correct on exactly what you said...it doesn't unscrew like the newer pens and I've seen nothing resembling "threads" but am not even sure what these would look like on a pen:) There is also nothing brass... it's all black. Appreciate you kindly answering my questions about this pen. Cheers!

HI, Zaddick. Thanks for all the great info on the 149s! You mentioned in an earlier post that my press type piston from my grandfather's 1960ish pen must be heated in order to fill...how would a novice owner do this without damage to the pen? I think you are correct on exactly what you said...it doesn't unscrew like the newer pens and I've seen nothing resembling "threads" but am not even sure what these would look like on a pen:) There is also nothing brass... it's all black. Appreciate you kindly answering my questions about this pen. Cheers!

You said heat to fill, but did you mean pull it out, like for service? The pen fills like any other resin 149.

I would not try to remove it myself for fear of breaking the barrel.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 2 months later...

the friction fit piston (sometimes referred to a press fit) mechanisms of the early mid-60s 149s are indeed a challenge to maintain or repair. As this is my favorite vintage of 149, I developed a tool to safely remove the piston assembly.

If you are interested in my repairs, contact me via private messaging on FPN.

Thank a Veteran.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently acquired a 149 which appears to be something of an anomaly according to the chart.

The pen has the following characteristics:

• 18K tri colour nib with STOD
  • Late black plastic feed with "2" near the grip
  • 2 section barrel
  • "Germany" on the clip ring
  • A serial number on the clip ring
  • "Pix" on the cap band and under the clip
  • Black plastic filler threads, not brass

Some things such as the black plastic filler threads point to 1990 or earlier while other things such as the nib, feed and "Pix" on the band and clip point to a later pen.

My best guess is that is is a pre-1990 pen which has been refurbished and perhaps has inherited a newer cap.

It's the plastic rather than brass filler threads which is confusing me.
Anyone able to shed any light on my Rocky Horror FrankenBlanc?

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite new to Montblanc.

Can anyone help, I have purchased a new 90th anniversary 149

I thought the filler thread would be brass but it is plastic would this be the norm ?

Margi

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite new to Montblanc.

Can anyone help, I have purchased a new 90th anniversary 149

I thought the filler thread would be brass but it is plastic would this be the norm ?

Margi

yes.

Thank a Veteran.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in.

I just bought a 149 with a split ebonite feed, 14K nib, 2-section barrel, a brass screw, and the engraved faint! W.-Germany. I write faint because there is another one which is clearly visible.

According to your discussion, my new-old pen should be dated 1990/91.

Now there is a table about dating 149s in a Japanese pen magazine (June 2013) which looks quite different than yours and which would put this pen into the years 1985/90.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4LqGE5sOYWD4RqY2

Have a look, you might understand most of it as it has lots of pictures. What do you think of it?

The table is based on the knowledge of two MB repair services in Japan.

Where necessary, I will translate.

Edited by mke

Now there is a table about dating 149s in a Japanese pen magazine which looks quite different than yours and which would put this pen into the years 1985/90.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4LqGE5sOYWD4RqY2

Have a look, you might understand most of it as it has lots of pictures. What do you think of it?

The table is based on the knowledge of two MB repair services in Japan.

Those pictures look just like the pinned thread here "Updated Montblanc 149 Trends Table" and its in English and Japanese.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I've bought a used 149 and seek help confirming it's authenticity and age. The plastic shines red with light. It has a serial number and 'Germany' on the clip ring. The underside of the clip is blank. The cap band reads Montblanc - Meisterstuck no 149 with umlaut on top. The nib is tritone 18k with stod marking and is not magnetic. The piston nob is a little wobbly and has brass threads.

Is it possible to have a clip with a serial and no PIX mark? I bought it from 'penamie' in the UK who I believe to be a reputable dealer. He dated it to be 2000s.Might be earlier?

Here's a link to the pen I bought

http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/other-eu/oeu180-detail.html

Thanks in advance!

Nb sorry pic quality has been reduced on uploading.'GERMANY' engraving is actually clear.

post-140437-0-36587200-1513206331_thumb.jpg

post-140437-0-42380400-1513206341_thumb.jpg

post-140437-0-63782700-1513206354_thumb.jpg

post-140437-0-56405000-1513206366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jallozai

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Jallozai,

You have a lovely fountain pen. It is a real 149, dating from ca. 1995-2010. It has the three-tone 18K nib which was produced during that era. Since about 2010 (or perhaps 2011-2012) the 18K has disappeared from the nib and its gold grade is marked simply with AU 750. I assume it has the second generation plastic feed. Enjoy it for many years to come.

Happy New Year,

Best wishes,

Barry

Welcome Jallozai,

You have a lovely fountain pen. It is a real 149, dating from ca. 1995-2010. It has the three-tone 18K nib which was produced during that era. Since about 2010 (or perhaps 2011-2012) the 18K has disappeared from the nib and its gold grade is marked simply with AU 750. I assume it has the second generation plastic feed. Enjoy it for many years to come.

Happy New Year,

Best wishes,

Barry

Thanks Barry, I appreciate your reply.

Happy new year.