Dating Montblanc 149s

DKbRS

Hey,

Wellcome to the forum.

The first question is: Is it a Montblanc 149 or a LeGrand which would be a 146?

Some pictures might help, especially one of the nib.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was my first attempt to photograph this beauty...it's absolutely a 149, but it has no serial # and says simply "Made in Germany" on the cap. Has the 2 dots in the middle of Meisterstuck. Sorry that Im just learning about this kind of art. It's absolutely gorgeous. Appreciate all you fountain pen lovers and your wealth of knowledge. This was grandfather's pen:)post-135588-0-66623700-1490053585_thumb.jpg

Based on what you said, mid to late 1960s. More photos would help. It also looks like a one piece barrel.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Can anyone tell me the value or price range maybe minimum to max of my never used, perfect condition 1960 to 1975 Montblanc Meisterstuck (with the 2 dots over the "u"), and the "made in Germany' on the cap pre-serial #, 4810, tri-color nib, 18C, 750 with the raised resin section Lip, and 1 piece barrel? They are $935 new and this one has never been used. I have had much trouble putting any kind of value on this beauty as I am a novice to this. ANY information from you kind folks would be appreciated. Already posted a pic of the nib...can try and post more if it would help. Thanks, knowledgeable fountain pen lovers!

I can't see the ring next to the piston cone. That pen is mid 1960s at the earliest. If it fills and writes, probably around $500 to $600 if it is pretty mint. If it is early 1970s than the lower end.

It could also go for a lot less on eBay, if that is where you are going with it.

Hi everyone, studying the spreadsheet for different nib years, I was wondering about tri colour 18c nibs saying they are from 1952 to 59. It seems I notice a lot of 18c nibs for sale but with different features such as solid ebonite feed.

My question is, was the 18c nib used in different years in different countries than what the spreadsheet says? Or is it more likely that an 18c nib with a solid ebonite feed would have had the feed replaced?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Realized there is an updated spreadsheet. My question is answered. Thanks!

Edited by Forrester

I purchased an essentially identical 149 off eBay recently for a little under $400. Yours even appears to be the same nib tip size (Broad) although yours may possibly be a Medium. The consensus here was that mine was mid-late 1960s manufacture. You should not rely too much on what the chart says about 18C nibs, as they were apparently shipping as original equipment well after 1960. My 149 did require service to the piston mechanism.

If your piston knob will turn (don't force it) then back off the knob until you can see the threads on which it turns. If they are black plastic then the pen is older, and probably somewhat more valuable than if they are brass.

Keep in mind that pen owners like to help each other, but we are not an appraisal service.

I purchased an essentially identical 149 off eBay recently for a little under $400. Yours even appears to be the same nib tip size (Broad) although yours may possibly be a Medium. The consensus here was that mine was mid-late 1960s manufacture. You should not rely too much on what the chart says about 18C nibs, as they were apparently shipping as original equipment well after 1960. My 149 did require service to the piston mechanism.

If your piston knob will turn (don't force it) then back off the knob until you can see the threads on which it turns. If they are black plastic then the pen is older, and probably somewhat more valuable than if they are brass.

Keep in mind that pen owners like to help each other, but we are not an appraisal service.

Brass threads would have a different body and mean the pen was made or serviced post 1989.

In the late 160s MB moved from a friction fit piston mechanism to a screw in unit, both with plastic threads. The easiest external giveaway is the ring at the piston cone is more rounded on the older friction fit pistons.

Tri-tone 18c went up to the mid to late 1970s. That would match a solid ebonite feed with no grooves.

The OP's pen shows the longitudinal grooves in the front of the feed, not extending all the way back, just like mine. BTW my pen is working nicely after a visit to forum member niksch who sorted out the leakage from the back of the piston.

Hello. Thanks for the info so far! Could absolutely be 1960's for sure. I may learn to write with it, was only pondering selling. It has much sentimental value to me, but so do many things from them and I do need to let go of some things since a move/downsize. It is spectacular to just look at though and the history is truly fascinating!

Sorry...am a clear novice here. Reading back through the 149s and having so many questions, I don't want to be asking on the wrong thread or making this only about MY pen...I have read this entire thread and studied the photos to find out as much as I can. Earlier, you guys were talking about the particular nibs and the differences between an EF and other widths. Is it important to know which one mine is and if it is suitable for a beginner to learn with this kind? Thanks for your patience & for looking at my pictures!

First, there is nothing wrong with having a thread about one specific pen. If people aren't interested in your pen, they don't have to read it.

Second, I believe your 149 has a B nib, like mine. That nib might or might not be a good one for a fountain pen beginner; it depends on you. If you need to write very small script in, say, a pocket notebook then it may be too broad, but if you are writing double-spaced in a large notebook then it could be ideal. The B and wider Montblanc nibs can be described as "stubs," meaning the contact surface is wider than it is tall. The result is wide downstrokes but narrower cross strokes. You may or may not prefer this over round-tipped pens that produce little or no line variation.

One way to get started would be to get an inexpensive (not MB) FP with a standard fine or medium nib. There are many such pens that write very well, including some that cost only "a fistful of dollars" like the Pilot Metropolitan. You can ask for advice on which one to get on the general forum here. Then you can compare that pen to Granddad's to see what you prefer.

Other people on this MB forum can help you get your 149 working better than I can. It may be in good working order now, but if not they will help you.

Much appreciated, Blue J. How does your 149 MB compare to your other kinds of pens? It seems like everyone that has these really enjoys this pen. I love the fact that its something that has been in my family for generations now and is actually older than me! The hardest part is still dating it which is what this thread is all about. Wondering, does anyone else have a pre-serial # one that only says "Made in Germany" on the cap? I've read about ones that say W. Germany or Germany, so does this just mean they say "Made in W. Germany" where mine says "Made in Germany"?

Well of course, my 149 writes broader than most of my other pens, which have fine or medium nibs for the most part. So, the MB is more dramatic and expressive but not as precise as the finer nibs. Of my 15 FPs, not all in regular use, the 149 is broader than one other stub nib (that was custom ground to 0.8mm width) and smoother than another, a commercial 1.1mm steel stub without special tip material (a Jowo nib with Goulet Pen Co. branding.) The rest of my pens have round tips, though some permit line variation through (partial) nib flexibility. I got my MB 149 quite recently, so its ultimate position in my writing routine is not totally clear yet.

Other people here can help more with the precise dating of your pen. The clip band on mine only says "Germany" and the main cap band says "- MONTBLANC MEISTERSTÜCK No 149 -" with no period after the "No" (abbreviation for number) and the umlaut as two narrow vertical dashes within the arms of the U.

I am pretty sure I said before mid 1960s. That is as precise as you are realistically going to get without paperwork or some story from your family history with dates. The "made in germany" clip stamp matches that date range. Most just say Germany and then said W. Germany for 5 or 6 years from about 1985 to 1991.

I think the Made in Germany stamp was not used on all pens, just some of those for the export market to English speaking countries. I have late 1950s to early 1960s 149 with Germany on the clip but "made in Germany" stamped in the cap resin.

Hello everyone,

I recent got my first MB 149, well first MB all together. I am pretty sure of its authenticity but please if you see something suspect let me know.

From what I gather i think this pen was made in the early 1970's due to the 14c two tone nib, one piece barrel, plastic threads on the filler and solid ebonite feed with no slits.

There does not appear to be a serial number on the clip band and it says Germany.

Any input would be appreciated.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6742_zpst5vslh4o.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6743_zpsd6ivkrum.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6744_zpsgg9dnyxc.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6746_zpszj4t5wyb.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6747_zps1cpco8fg.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6747_zps1cpco8fg.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6749_zpskmj1vscg.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6751_zpsuqoifbvh.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6752_zpsyixvemkg.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/lelandlooger/IMG_6753_zpsuenpcuaz.jpg

I'd say mid 1970s to early 1980s, earlier than that and I would expect a tri-tone nib. Anyway, a great pen to start with and an awesome case to boot. Those were around $200 new.

I'd say mid 1970s to early 1980s, earlier than that and I would expect a tri-tone nib. Anyway, a great pen to start with and an awesome case to boot. Those were around $200 new.

Thanks for the input. That is what I was guessing. From what I could gather the two tone nib came about in about 72 while the solid ebonite feed died out around 75. Figure a few years after for possible old supply of solid ebonite feeds.

The case was pretty exciting to get. I don't think the seller really knew what it was.

I think someone had left ink in it at one point as it took me some time to get it cleaned. I need to get a tool, or make one to take it apart for better cleaning.

Thnks, Zaddick & BlueJay! I took into consideration your suggestion to start with a more narrow fountain pen. Sorry if this is in bad form to ask, but since you have 15 extra fountain pens, is there one that you don't use anymore and could maybe recommend for a novice? If so I'd be interested in trying it out for the right price. If you don't want to part with any of your collection, I also completely understand;) Thnks