Dating Montblanc 149s

DKbRS

question, is it an optical illusion or are the tines on the two tone 18k nib slightly shorter than the 14k examples?

thanks

A mix of both, some have the shoulders of the nib closer to the tip which makes the tines look shorter but the nibs are the same length and the breather hole is at the same point, although there are some nibs that are overall longer so the tines are a bit longer.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Barry Gabay

• hari317

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Just a curious novice here ))). Can it be that they changed my 149's feeder for a new plastic one without saying before they returned it from servicing?

Never thought about the feeder thing closely, but it seemes from somewhere behind my actual memory( :) ) that my feeder looked like a ebonite one before I gave the pen to the service centre...

Thanks

Hello,

Just a curious novice here ))). Can it be that they changed my 149's feeder for a new plastic one without saying before they returned it from servicing?

Never thought about the feeder thing closely, but it seemes from somewhere behind my actual memory( :) ) that my feeder looked like a ebonite one before I gave the pen to the service centre...

Thanks

Look on the receipt, it should list the parts replaced.

And welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

My Website

Hello,

Thanks

Yes, quite likely actually.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 3 months later...

I went through the entire post trying to date my 149... but I am confused. the owner said he bought the pen from Singapore, he said the pen is 50 years old( I doubt that ). anyways...

1- W, Germany on the clip

2- serial no- ab xxxxxx (both marking are very faint, nearly invisible to the naked eye)

3- 18k gold 2 tone nib ( stod mark)

4- split ebonite feed

5- two piece barrel construction

6- brass threads

I assume it is between 1985-1991... but can't be sure . I would appreciate any input.

here is a link to the photos album- http://imgur.com/a/N7Kdx

http://i.imgur.com/zC4p1CV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EeGDQKG.jpg

Good afternoon vikrmbedi,

Very nice photos! Congratulations on your purchase. No part of your pen is 50 years old. It may have been assembled from parts, & there's nothing wrong with that except for deception on the part of the seller. Perhaps he was told that age when he bought it and simply believed what he was told. More likely than an assembly from parts is dating your pen from the details below.

Your nib's date is ca. 1992-1995 and the rest of the pen is from approximately 90-91. There are some clear indications in dating this particular pen. There was a brief time in 1990-91 when the split-ebonite feed was found on 149s with the brass piston housing. I purchased a couple of these new in the US in late 1990 & early 1991. Immediately prior to this time, the 149 still retained the black plastic piston threads, and just after this date, the two-tone 18K nib (your nib) appeared. The plastic feed followed after brass threads were introduced but prior to the two-tone 18K nib. I have never seen a new pen with two-tone 18K nib and a split ebonite feed. However, it's possible that with such a brief window for the end of split-ebonite feed and beginning of brass piston threads that the original owner sent his pen in 1991 or 1992 for a nib exchange and received the two-tone 18K nib. In those days, Montblanc (and others) had a far more liberal nib exchange policy. As long as the nib was in excellent condition, there was no problem with a free exchange. I had this done several times at the Koh-i-Noor, Montblanc facility in New Jersey in the US.

All components of your pen are correct for 1990-91 with the nib from 92-95. However, I was wrong about the relationship of first-generation plastic feed and second generation (3-tone) 18K nib in the piece I wrote in Pen World years ago. Might be wrong about this one. I'm interested, as are you and everyone who reads this thread, in hearing from other folks who may have purchased a new 149 with split ebonite feed and two-tone 18K nib. If someone knows of such a pen and has the receipt of purchase, that would exactly date your pen. I'm hoping such a pen exists because that would mean you have a very rare model, one made for a very brief period of time.

Enjoy your weekend.

Best wishes,

Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

Hi, Barry. thank you for your kind words and informative post.

I know the seller was being very liberal with 50 years, but still the pen is nearly 20 plus years old. i believe him in that he bought it abroad while on trip to Singapore . ( montblanc officially came to india around 1993, so i assume that nib exchange would have not been an easy pursuit)

this is the reason i was confused, that the pen didn't fall in any clear cut category. one has to assume that a part has been changed. It is more feasible thing , that the cap got switched with another older pen at the showroom, while trying different nib sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to get a date on my 149 and would appreciate any help (great thread)

It has;

14c tri tone nib

Solid ebonite feed

Plastic filler threads

Single piece barrel

Thanks...

20132281583_db11fec195_z.jpgIMG_3685 by Pe

20565258778_c08feef16b_z.jpgIMG_3686 by Peter Wright, on Flickrter Wright, on Flickr

Edited by Wrighty

• 1 month later...

A few months ago, I was given a 149 by a friend (I own three other 149s that have been fairly easy to date, thanks to this thread). Except for the nib, the pen appears to be from the 1965-72 period--it has a round ebonite feed with grooves on the face only, a single barrel, and black plastic threads. The nib, however, is an 18C tritone with some flex, which would place it from sometime during the '50s.

The piston is stuck and the pen needs overall cosmetic polishing, but I'm not about to turn this nib and feed over to MB service. To whom would you recommend I send it for a general overhaul and nib tuning? The nib has very sharp markings that look older than those on my later pens, but the tip is worn.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'll be at the Dallas show--just wondered it there was anyone in particular that has a good reputation with MBs. This one's moderately beat up--no cracks or gouges, but I'll like for it to shine and write really beautifully next time I see the friend who gave it to me.

I'll be at the Dallas show--just wondered it there was anyone in particular that has a good reputation with MBs. This one's moderately beat up--no cracks or gouges, but I'll like for it to shine and write really beautifully next time I see the friend who gave it to me.

You can still get flexy nibs on the 1960s pens, so nothing out of the expected there.

Brad Torelli has done repair work for me on MB pens. I am not sure of his availability or prices, but he can build that pen from scratch so I imagine everything you need is in his wheelhouse.

Good luck in bringing the pen back to life.

• 1 month later...

My Birthday was yesterday and one of my clients gave me this old 149 as a gift. He informed me that his wife gave it to him over 20 years ago but didn't know much more about the pen. He carried it for quite sometime. Before he gave it to me it sat on a shelf or in a drawer collecting dust.

Can anyone tell me how old this pen is?

-Serial #: HB120937

-Nib reads: 4810

Cap: W. Germany

Raised gold section on the cap reads: Meisterstuck No 149

Any information about this pen would be greatly appreciated to include the cost of this 149.

Also, should I send it into MB to get it checked out and cleaned up?

Respectfully,

Chad

post-123999-0-48788400-1445735064_thumb.jpg

post-123999-0-34307800-1445735283_thumb.jpg

post-123999-0-63903500-1445735374_thumb.jpg

post-123999-0-42262900-1445735531_thumb.jpg

Looks like about 1991 or 1992. The was a short time they still used the W. GERMANY and had a serial #.

My Birthday was yesterday and one of my clients gave me this old 149 as a gift. He informed me that his wife gave it to him over 20 years ago but didn't know much more about the pen. He carried it for quite sometime. Before he gave it to me it sat on a shelf or in a drawer collecting dust.

Can anyone tell me how old this pen is?

-Serial #: HB120937

-Nib reads: 4810

Cap: W. Germany

Raised gold section on the cap reads: Meisterstuck No 149

Any information about this pen would be greatly appreciated to include the cost of this 149.

Also, should I send it into MB to get it checked out and cleaned up?

Respectfully,

Chad

Not very old; around 1992.

It's a 149.

Fill it first with water. Let it sit capped on some paper towels overnight. If it does not leak then fill it with ink and enjoy.

Gifts are beyond price.

My Website

A few months ago, I was given a 149 by a friend (I own three other 149s that have been fairly easy to date, thanks to this thread). Except for the nib, the pen appears to be from the 1965-72 period--it has a round ebonite feed with grooves on the face only, a single barrel, and black plastic threads. The nib, however, is an 18C tritone with some flex, which would place it from sometime during the '50s.

The piston is stuck and the pen needs overall cosmetic polishing, but I'm not about to turn this nib and feed over to MB service. To whom would you recommend I send it for a general overhaul and nib tuning? The nib has very sharp markings that look older than those on my later pens, but the tip is worn.

Update: I decided to send this 149 to Osman Sümer for restoration. Will try to do some photos when I get it back.

Not very old; around 1992.

It's a 149.

Fill it first with water. Let it sit capped on some paper towels overnight. If it does not leak then fill it with ink and enjoy.

Gifts are beyond price.

I am sending the pen in to have a professional take a look just to make sure everything checks out. Is there anything special/different about this pen that other 149's don't have? I can't wait to get it back shining and start writing!

Thank you for your feedback!

Chad

Hi all,

I have a silver ringed 149 where every component fits in with the 1950s vintage expect for the fact that it has a solid ebonite feed. The nib is a 14C tri-color. The pen also comes in the original grey clamshell box with a price tag of $33(!). Would this be a transitional piece?

Thanks.

Edited by Incroyable

• 3 weeks later...