The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kale Pen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 manojd

manojd

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2010 - 18:35

First and foremost, this is my first review and that too of a little known pen company. So, I hope I do justice to this little gem of a pen. To start with, the name of the company is Kale Pen Company (pronounced as KaaLay). It is a tiny shop in the city of Pune, India. I had posted about their pens a few months back and I thought I should do a review. They only have one design for their FPs, but they come in multiple colors (red, green, tan, grey).

DSCN3887.JPG

# Appearance & Design – As you can see in the picture, these pens resemble Parker 51 models. In fact, I can put the Parker cap on this pen without any issue. But their overall construction is totally different from Parker's. I am not very sure of the material used for this pen, but it feels soft and not plasticy. I prefer this material and the feel over the hard plastic pens. It also has a very peculiar, but nice smell. The cap is made out of stainless steel and has a matte finish. The clip has chrome finish to it.

# Construction & Quality – Overall, the finish is OK, and they could do a better job of QC. I was particularly concerned about the clip which seems to be too tight. It is easy to fix this issue. The good news is that, you can replace the cap with Parker's. Having said that, the pen functions without any flaw.

# Weight & Dimensions – Capped, they are 5 1/2 inches in length. These are well balanced pens and you can use them either posted or unposted.

# Nib & Performance – These pens have a stainless steel nib. But these nibs are amazingly smooth, unlike many other steel nibs which have scratchy or toothy feel to them. More interestingly, the shop owner assembles the pen in front of you and also tunes the nib. So, there is no chance of nib failure. All pens come in only one nib size, which appears to be between medium and fine point.

DSCN3897.JPG

# Filling System & Maintenance – These are Eye Dropper (ED) filled pens. So, they can hold a lot of ink. The feed has a breather tube, so the ink flow is even. I like ED systems as they are very easy to clean and replace with other inks. It is also very easy to remove the nib and feed for cleaning.

EPSN4230.jpg

# Cost & Value – These pens are, in my opinion, the best price to performance you can ever get. Let me just say that the pen costs less than $10 locally.

# Conclusion – I enjoy using these pens. I also enjoy the fact I can use my Parker cap and feel as if I am carrying a Parker. For its price, I don't think you can ask for more.

Sponsored Content

#2 karthik

karthik

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:29

Can you please let me know where I can get one of these. I live in Pune.

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:56

very nice. thx for reviewing it!

#4 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:04

dear manoj,

you have done a short and precise review, the pen looks good and i was not aware of this brand. i would love to hear from you about other pens you have over there.

best.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:29

Can you please let me know where I can get one of these. I live in Pune.

Their shop is adjacent to Dagdu Sheth Halwai temple, Budhwar Chowk.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 davidw

davidw

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:44

interesting pen... but looks better then the chinese hero 616. At least with the
amount of ink it may be heavier then the Hero 616.

thank you for your review.

#7 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:22

Thanks for the review. It is nice to see reviews of lesser known pens. I plan to pick up one of these the next time I go to Pune.

Regards,
Anindya.
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#8 Koshy

Koshy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 14:09

Thank you for the review and Hari, thanks for the address. Interesting ollk alike. Must try!
I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.
John Oldham

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2011 - 21:13

looks like a nice 51 clone
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 molecule1989

molecule1989

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:12

More from Kale Pens

They have 5 -6 fountain pen models as far as I know..

KalePen4Upload.jpg

The 5 year guarantee on their nib

KalePen5.jpg

#11 Abhik

Abhik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:08

More from Kale Pens

They have 5 -6 fountain pen models as far as I know..

KalePen4Upload.jpg

The 5 year guarantee on their nib

KalePen5.jpg

Not to shift attention from the main review article, but this pen looks more interesting! Reminds me of a pen I used to use in my primary school days! Nice find.
Enjoy!
A

#12 Anirban4u

Anirban4u

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:31

My New year's first FP was a Kale, bought the same model as shown here (though mine is maroon). The Pen is awsum and puts my friends Camlin elegante to shame.

At 20 INR (0.32USD), you cant ask for more.

1 thing though, Kale inks are terrible, but hey, they come at 5 INR for 100 ml, Beat that !!
Photo coming soon.

Opensuse_2.png  gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Sponsored Content

|