Esterbrook Models Visual Differences J Lj Sj Etc

Trooper

I noticed the reference to many J model Esterbrooks on eBay. Now that I've learned a few things (very few mind you...)I am wondering if there is an easy way to determine from a pic if the pen for sale is a J, an LJ, an SJ, etc?

Some pens have looked narrower than others but my eyeball is not very well calibrated. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help in advance.

Randy

Edited by Trooper

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trooper

• pal38

• Eduardo

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a page on Richard Binder's site that explains what to look for better than I could...and with pictures! http://richardspens.com/ put "esterbrook in the search box and click "The Esterbrook Model J Family" (second on the list). For some reason I can't link directly to the page. Hope that helps!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

There's a page on Richard Binder's site that explains what to look for better than I could...and with pictures! http://richardspens.com/ put "esterbrook in the search box and click "The Esterbrook Model J Family" (second on the list). For some reason I can't link directly to the page. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the link. Good info! :thumbup:

Richard's site is a great resource. An other one is (the Esterbrook-specific) http://www.esterbrook.net/ .

Regards, greg

I ran across this site. I think this is what got me to realize that some sizes are not so easy to distinguish. I appreciate the link. Thanks.

Keep looking at random shots on ebay, you'll see the proportions soon enough

Thanks. I guess it is all part of the learning process....when it comes to learning about fountain pens I feel like a child seeing things for the first time.

Thanks. I guess it is all part of the learning process....when it comes to learning about fountain pens I feel like a child seeing things for the first time.

It helps to key off on the distances between the edge of the cap (or barrel threads) and the start of the filler lever and from the filler lever to the end of the pen.

The lever to pen end distance on the SJ is dramatically shorter.

The distances on the LJ and J are similar but the area toward the end of the pen where the wider barrel of the J necks down to where the jewel/trim ring is is more distinct that the less drastic neck down on the LJ.

The jewels on the LJ are the same size around.

The cap jewel is larger on a J than the barrel jewel.

(Sometimes I have to get one of my pens to compare to pics just to be sure myself...)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

It helps to key off on the distances between the edge of the cap (or barrel threads) and the start of the filler lever and from the filler lever to the end of the pen.

The lever to pen end distance on the SJ is dramatically shorter.

The distances on the LJ and J are similar but the area toward the end of the pen where the wider barrel of the J necks down to where the jewel/trim ring is is more distinct that the less drastic neck down on the LJ.

The jewels on the LJ are the same size around.

The cap jewel is larger on a J than the barrel jewel.

(Sometimes I have to get one of my pens to compare to pics just to be sure myself...)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

OK. Good tips on identifying. thanks.

• 4 months later...

Gee, this has solved my problem too!!!Trying to find somewhere to help in identifing the J,LJ, & SJ. is terrific.Thanks folks for your contribution. villanurse44.

I noticed the reference to many J model Esterbrooks on eBay. Now that I've learned a few things (very few mind you...)I am wondering if there is an easy way to determine from a pic if the pen for sale is a J, an LJ, an SJ, etc?

Some pens have looked narrower than others but my eyeball is not very well calibrated. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help in advance.

Randy

It's not very easy, well, even often impossible, to identify the exact model just by looking at the pics on ebay. Nothing to do with the calibration of your eyeballs, it's a matter of proportional distortion. If not photographed exactly from above, the front pen doesn't only seem longer and thicker but it actually is larger on the picture. You can measure that. Only pics taken exactly from above give you the right proportions.

Look at this picture: Which one is the longest pen?

post-44619-0-34076700-1298877422.jpg

Would you have guessed that the first pen really is a shorty? Here is the proof:

post-44619-0-72341100-1298877523.jpg

Amazing, isn't it?

Asking the seller for the measurements of the cap or barrel diameters often doesn't give you satisfactory answers, because most sellers do not have a real lathe and give you just approximative measurements. Cap diameters of a J-model is 0.524" (+- fractions) of an LJ or SJ model (they are the same and can be used on both models) 0.48". Almost all sellers will give as an answer to your question "about half an inch", which of course does nothing to satisfy you.

Instead ask the seller to look at both jewels (barrel and cap) simultaneously. He sees either this:

post-44619-0-62721900-1298878532.jpg

different size = J model, or this:

post-44619-0-50689100-1298878701.jpg

same size = LJ or SJ model

The only thing now is the length, and here the seller usually gives you usable information. J and LJ measure 5", SJ = 4 3/4"

OK?

:thumbup:

swisspenpal

C'mon, you mean "about 5 inches long, I don't know nothing about fountain pens, but here's a really blurry photo with crappy lighting" doesn't tell you everything you need to know?! lol

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

I'm sad to say that's the fleabay reality quite often!

But the real bargains often are exactly there, behind blurry pictures, wrong descriptions, false comments ... I found a #2 Relief and a perfectly OK V-Clip at less than $30 each this way!

:vbg:

swisspenpal

• 7 months later...

Sometimes there are pictures showing the pen uncapped or post. The "J" nib section appears to be more "conical" than the "LJ" that appears to be more "cylindrical". A good idea, is observe GOOD PICTURES to calibrate the "eye ball"...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!