What Were Your Best Mb Bargains?

Blade Runner

Recently a mint Voltaire for $400 this past year and a mint Fitzgerald for a bit more than $400 a few years ago, both off the marketplace. :bunny01: :bunny01:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kroywen1982

• zenshrink

• Basset

• TeddJW

A Jules Verne for free :)

Mine was a Starwalker, was a gift after my youngest child was born. Actually it was the beggining of the montblanc addiction.... :ph34r:

I picked up a late 70s 146 14C with box and papers, excellent condition; listed for $200, got it for well under that, just a few months ago. Pix here in prior post.

A Generation left at a table I waited on while in college in the mid 90s. The ballpoint pen was missing its star, a $10 fix! Big deal for me as a college student at the time, and my second Montblanc.

I paid about £80 for my 147. It retails for over £400. Admittingly it was some time ago but alias it was a great deal.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Just in the last couple months on eBay for less than $250. It was a first generation resin 149 from the very early 1960s, friction fit piston mechanism, fully grooved ebonite feed (like the 50s models), and a SWEET OBB nib that almost rivals the OBB nib on my celluloid 149 I got from Max a few years ago.

This goes in the same case as my early 1960s 149s with wonderfully flexible OM and BB nibs.

A delightful trio.

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Either a 145 Chopin for $180 new, was an idiot and sold it breaking even cause I had issues with MB at the time, wife ended up buying me the same pen a few years later as a wedding gift for nearly $100 more

Generation ballpoint for $60 from costco, same pen was selling for upwards of $130

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

Dumas FP new, 400 off craigslist. Last month picked up a MB Star automatic watch with bracelet in the box for 350 retails for 1500, also off craigslist.

Almost forgot about the 149 and 2 146's that I got all 3 for 250. Had to drive for over an hour to get them though.

Edited by Adrian Collins

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

MB 149 with sliver outer bands for under 125$ Flea market in Mass. a bunch of seasons ago + a bottle of great ink. Pen was covered in inky gunk,piston didn't move. It was just staring at me, from under a glass top case ,rubber-banded with a bunch of other tubes. Second best was a near perfect P'r Demi 51, 1951 in forest gr.+ matching pencil for 6$ at the same place, different seller, two yrs. earlier.

Edited by SnowLeopard

A 22 and a Noblesse g/f were given to me by friends of one of my husband's customers - along with a Parker jotter and a very nice 1954 Pelikan M400 in light Torti - (MOP) - what a gift of a day that was, just handed a fistful of pens that "were due to go to a charity shop" because they hadn't been used since the owners finished University in the 60s.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I just got my new MB Resin Starwalker rollerball from ebay for $100. The seller didn't seem too educated on pens, and posted pretty crappy pictues (with a crappy description). I jumped on it when i saw in one of the pictures the little "pix" under the cap. It's a beautiful pen, never used.

1 euro on a fleamarket. Unfortunately, this has yet to happen.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

I got a MB 144 for $55. It's the one in the avatar.

I bought it because I have a broken section from a 144, nib looking like a BB. Plan to send it to Ft. Worth with the cap and barrel for rejuvenation. MB does excellent work.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Live auction.

I was not after the weird looking MB...though it had a semi-flex nib...I was so noobie, I didn't know where to look to find the model or the nib width.

I was after the 400NN's semi-flex OF nib to put it on my '90's 400 Tortoise. It was in an Pelikan Etui with the matching Bp and MP. I'd thought to sell them to get much of my money back.

I was really complaining about that MB in the lot. It would drive up the price.

I got the two fountain pens, the BP and MP + etui, for € 170.

I never sold the BP and MP. The 400NN was from 1956 and was friction feed, so much for Plan A.

It is my 5th/6th best nib and pen.

My best pen by a hair was that odd looking MB.

A MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (Made only 52-55 and by the feed closer to 55 than 52) semi-flex KOB. It was a return to the roots, of the 136-9 model's. Meisterwerk clip and a bigger single cap band than the normal 234 1/2.

I've developed a liking for the form of the pen...yep, I'm a reactionary...I like the form more than the 146-9.

My best 'perfect' balanced; pens with great nibs are; (right now, I have have a lot of pens, needing new corks) the MB 234 1/2, the Geha 725 Goldschwing, (Gold Wing) and the P-75 Cisel, which is by far the best balanced metal pen that I have.

My Best Nibs are my MB KOB, Pelikan 140 OB, Geha 725 B....

Not bad for an Ugly old MB that I didn't want....Actually it was not ugly at all, it was the old fashioned true MB classic styling, :notworthy1: not this new fangled "New Balance" 146-9. :headsmack:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/234-5.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/234-1.jpg

This is the regular 234 1/2.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/ByMf2hQmkKGrHqFhUEw5Drw8KBMQD5tSFg_12.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.