Pens In Columbus, Oh

BamaPen

I'm going to be in Columbus, OH, in a couple of weeks. Are there any pen stores or antique shops that might have vintage pens there?

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheOtherBart

• sharonspens

• BamaPen

• LuckyDog10

I'm going to be in Columbus, OH, in a couple of weeks. Are there any pen stores or antique shops that might have vintage pens there?

Apparently there is a Paradise Pen shop in Dublin, but I've not been there yet. If you're driving from the south, do yourself a favor and stop in Cincinnati - the gentleman at a little pen/stationery store called Appointments will take excellent care of you.

The website is a simple, two-page affair, but it gives you all the details you need (hours, location, etc.)

If you do go to Paradise Pen, let me know what you think of it! I plan on stopping in next time I am up that way (I'm between Cincinnati and Columbus, but a little closer to Cincinnati).

Happy Hunting!

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

+1 on the recommmendation to stop at Appointments in downtown Cincinnati. You will enjoy your visit.

Doug Kennedy and Labron Miller are true fountain pen enthusiasts who will be happy to dip any of the pens in the shop to let you experience the pens/nibs first hand. The shop inventory is fairly extensive with most of the major pen manufacturers represented.

You won't be disappointed.

Incidentally, I suspect the timing of your trip is unlikely to coincide, but the Ohio Pen Show is scheduled to take place in the Columbus area (Dublin) on November 4-7. Your timing would be uncanny if you were to happen to be in Columbus on one of those days...

Jack Price, Vintage Fountain Pens. 3481 N High Street. Columbus, OH 43214-4030; (614) 267-8468

I can't find anything listing his hours, but I assume he is still open. Found a lovely little Merlin on a visit there a couple of years ago (in search of various rollerball refills). I seem to recall a fair ink collection, and a very nice mix of vintage pens. And plenty of vintage vinyl (he also carries record albums).

Sharon in Indiana

Edited to add: +1 if you can time your trip around the Ohio Pen Show. A visit there can make your trip worthwhile (and empty your wallet!).

SB

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Paradise Pens in Dublin, Ohio is a decent Brick and Mortar Store. The staff are nice and the selection is decent, but the prices are full retail. However you may actually save yourself some time, money and irritation as you can actually handle, ink and try a pen you are interested in. Thus you can save yourself from buying something you do not want and might end up having to spend the time and money to return or resell it.

And yes, Jack Price still has his shop on North High Street in Columbus. He has regular hours and is very knowledgeable. He does not however tolerate those not seriously interested in making a purchase. I am not saying he will refuse to get his best pens out for you to see from his vault, but he will ask you what you are interested in purchasing before he does so. He can not force you to make a purchase, but he will expect you to make a purchase if you have indicated what you are interested in, he has it and he offers it at a fair price, which his prices usually are. He does not run a museum but a business.

He does not run a museum but a business.

That's certainly a different environment from Appointments. The first time I was in there, Labron cheerfully handed me a $1000 DuPont and announced, "Try this out. Remember, this is a toy store."

They will cheerfully chat with you, instruct you, advise you...they have made me into a loyal customer. And when I am ready to spring for a higher-end pen (I'm hinting to my husband about a graduation present down the road!), these are the guys that will ring up the sale. :thumbup:

Good to know there is a vintage shop around, however. Thanks for letting me know!

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

Terry Mawhorter, who set up the Ohio Pen Show, has a shop there. He has all kinds of new and older pens--he does restore them and I have purchased many from him that were all great pens. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from him. He likes older Parkers(lots of P51's) and Vacumatics. The name of the shop escapes me, I've bought most of my stuff from him at the big antique sale at the fairgrounds in Louisville Ky. Oh, he carries lots of Eversharp Skylines also. He has some limited editions(I got a Visconti and an Omas last year).

Secundum Artem

Paradise Pens in Dublin, Ohio ...And yes, Jack Price still has his shop on North High Street

The manager of that PP store is Denise and she is aware of FPN. The store used to have a couple of general sales per year and some clearances like the sweet Visconti Van Gogh Midi Cappuccino I got there. One of the two Columbus Papyrus stores is in the same mall as PP.

Jack Price generally opens mid-morning, shuts down for lunch, and leaves when he wishes, despite the posted hours ;-) He does have decent vintage pens and I suspect his prices vary with how much he thinks you will tolerate. I overpaid a couple of times before I got wiser. I would avoid the line of modern Chinese bling he touts.

Bill

Terry Mawhorter, who set up the Ohio Pen Show, has a shop there. He has all kinds of new and older pens--he does restore them and I have purchased many from him that were all great pens. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from him. He likes older Parkers(lots of P51's) and Vacumatics. The name of the shop escapes me, I've bought most of my stuff from him at the big antique sale at the fairgrounds in Louisville Ky. Oh, he carries lots of Eversharp Skylines also. He has some limited editions(I got a Visconti and an Omas last year).

I believe you are mistaken about Terry having a shop in Columbus OH.... especially since he no longer lives in OH but now lives in North Carolina....

I believe you are mistaken about Terry having a shop in Columbus OH.... especially since he no longer lives in OH but now lives in North Carolina....

Sorry, I haven't talked to him in a while. I didn't know he had moved.

Secundum Artem

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Jack Price/Vintage Fountain Pens on North High Street in Columbus, OH, on Monday morning. Jack is quite a character, but also quite knowledgable about fountain pens. He had a nice selection of vintage pens, all in working order, and was quite willing for me to dip and write with any of them. I had a most enjoyable visit and wound up purchasing a Webster pen in red grained hard rubber. I'd go back any time.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

Sounds to me like Cincinnati is where it is at!!.. :thumbup: Looks like that will be my next stop when shopping for a FP.

Speed...

"Today's mighty oak was yesterday's nut that held it's ground.."

I visited Jack Price/Vintage Fountain Pens on North High Street in Columbus, OH, on Monday morning. Jack is quite a character, but also quite knowledgable about fountain pens. He had a nice selection of vintage pens, all in working order, and was quite willing for me to dip and write with any of them. I had a most enjoyable visit and wound up purchasing a Webster pen in red grained hard rubber. I'd go back any time.

Glad you had a good time. And, yes, Jack is truly a character!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• 1 year later...

You can call Jack anytime you are interested in coming to the store and he will be sure to be there. His hours are quite flexible but he posts his cell number on the door (614-571-8098) so customers can call him. He's usually in the area for lunch or shopping, so it's no problem to get back for someone.

• 3 years later...

Great, I'll try to check it out this afternoon!

Jack Price's store is still open. Typically, he opens at noon. Paradise Pen closed some time ago.

What a neat shop that is! Not a huge selection but a lot of character, and Jack himself was very entertaining. I would highly recommend stopping in. Well, that is if you like old school shops piled high with "stuff". A "boutique" experience it isn't.

• 1 month later...

Seconding that Jack Price is awesome. I got a Cobalt Blue Esterbrook from him--his nib selection for the esterbrooks is pretty good, and the prices even better.

Edited by arsdecarta