Edelstein Collection Review

GouletPens

"""""Edelstein adventurine compare to 4001 Brilliant Green ?"""

I did a test of some 11 green inks with perhaps the wrong nib for the Adventurine.

Pelikan 4110 patted little brother on the head and beat it.

It is a different darker shade than Pelikan 4001

Gemund 170g and a couple different 120 g, couple 110 g,and a couple 100g were the papers in the Gmund sample pack. There were also few papers from before, in the scribble a new ink on them...nothing scientific or organized.

I was checking the papers more than the inks. At €35 for a pack of 60 or 120 page pack of Gmund paper I defiantly have to check...the 170 was better a majority of times, but then one of the 120g papers was better depending on ink and pens better 1/3 of the time to my :yikes: surprise.

Shading, lack of feathering....R&K Verdura was first by a nose in front of MB Irish Green, with Pelikan 4001 third by a head.

Jade feathered & shaded less than Adventurine, I'd like to see what DA Moss Green(spring time moss) would do with a different wider or more flexible nib. In a nail F it was at a disadvantage. That was very tight.between the two of them.P EA/DA MG.

I did not run the inks with more than one nib over the papers....had I done that a couple of inks might have rated higher with a wider nib.

There was one paper where Adventurine.was first, and another second and on a third paper third.

Adventurine feathers a bit...when I test I run all the inks under a big magnifying glass.

All in all, R&K Verdura was best, followed closely by MB Green and the under rated Pelikan 4001 was a solid third..

Adventurine/DA Moss Green were tied for distant 4th. As I said, Moss Green was running under the handicap of an F nail.

Aventurine like all the inks strutted on Avery/Zweckform glossy 120g paper. It's too bad that paper is so glossy.

DA Golf is a great stand alone shading ink, but suffers with comparison. It borders on murky.

R&K Old Gold green, was eliminated because it was a murky green...but a fine one. I was not looking for a murky Green in this 'test'.

Jade's lack of shading pulled that ink far down in my ratings.

Lamy Green did a 3rd place finish on one paper...but did beat Diamine Meadow Green, the last ink in the test.Lamy Green is an ink that needs the right nib and right paper.

Diamine Meadow Green is a feather champion, in the 'ugly' murky range...I'm glad I got a sample and didn't waste my money on buying it. It's a rather ugly ink.

I only dipped MB Winter Green, which ran darker on the two papers tested than expected. As a LE ink, it don't have to test against other inks...it was just to see what the two papers I was thinking about buying did.

4001 is a very under rated ink. It is the ink that hooked me with Green inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• SamCapote

• Bo Bo Olson

• Trom

In the three years since this article was started, have anyone's views on the inks changed ?

Can anyone point me to the fade tests that include these inks and other good reference inks for a Pelikan pen ?

Edited by Guy007

• 2 months later...

I have an observation to share about Edelstein Topaz and Aventurin vs. Pilot Ku-jaku. I have a Delta Fusion One pen with 1.3 stub nib. With either Edelstein ink, after about 1/2 of page the line become noticeably thinner and it's hard to say it was written with a stub. That is not happening with the Pilot ink. I can write a page and my writing in the end of the page is similar to writing in the beginning.

On the other hand I have no problems with Edelstein inks in Pelikan Souveran M600 with round EF nib.

Got shoe out of mouth with only a few tooth marks.

Is a shading ink, Dizzy says little, Greek medium high.

Does look chalky......

Need to see it with a wet nib...or a wide wet one.

Which feathers more this or Diamine.

Aventurine feathers more than expected.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have been using the Edelstein inks for three years now and notice no change in color or fading. Most of my writing is done on Rhodia and Habana notebooks. I still like the inks!

Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Just to drop a word or two... although I think these inks as well as their bottles are more interesting than the 4001s, the packaging is definitely worse. I find it so complicated to get the darn stuff out of the box that I often just end up choosing something else.

Hum

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The inks are in nice bottles. The inks themselves are all right, but I found the ones I've tried underwhelming. They have some shading, but overall very little that makes them worth the premium price to me.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Seems Topaz is the star of the Edelstein lineup. I wanted a nice light blue and didn't want to spend another $10 on Kon Peki. I have a bottle of it on the way.. Can't be bothered to try the others, they all look like they've been diluted or something.

And I'm sorry but Edelstein Sapphire? It's purple. Purely purple. A blueish tinted purple. That is not the colour of a sapphire gemstone. They should have called it Amethyst.

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

• 4 weeks later...

And I'm sorry but Edelstein Sapphire? It's purple. Purely purple. A blueish tinted purple. That is not the colour of a sapphire gemstone. They should have called it Amethyst.

Hmm... Mine is blue, only blue. I had hoped for a little purple tone.

Like so many of you I expected something entirely different and was very disappointed in the Edelstein inks. But as time has gone I have started to look at them differently and now really likes them. I prefer to use them in my Leuchtturm notebooks and not so much on the smooth white Oxford paper. The colours I have are Sapphire, Mandarin, Tanzanite and Jade. I prefer to use them with wet pens as they are very dry. Tanzanite is not so dry and a deep beautiful blue black. I will buy more colours.

• 4 months later...

Seems Topaz is the star of the Edelstein lineup. I wanted a nice light blue and didn't want to spend another $10 on Kon Peki. I have a bottle of it on the way.. Can't be bothered to try the others, they all look like they've been diluted or something.

I think the same thing about Tanzanite. Tanzanite stones range in color from a brilliant periwinkle blue to almost a medium sapphire color. The color of this ink falls nowhere in that spectrum. I've seen and read reviews that suggest the slightest amount of purple and it's also described as a blue-black ink. Sadly, I see traces of neither purple nor blue. I would describe this ink as "murky," rather than any semblance of a gemstone color.

• 3 months later...

+1) I like Tanzanite too. I think it is still a medium flow ink but it has high lubrication so it can make a nib to feel smoother ... The medium flow is decent with a flex pen of mine (yeah, flex pen you kinda want dry ink to slow down the ink flow). I like the wash out, greyed blue it has. It has this nice contrast to the black shading of the ink (only happen with some pens) but does not poke the reader eyes out - good for a polite response. However, I do have to admit, it did take sometime to get used to that greyed blue.

I just don't like that it is a little bit too saturated and the lubrication does make it somewhat more viscous so there is often not much shading to see. One thing to note, I have inked it in a windowed piston pen of mine for 6 month+. There is no flushing whatsoever, I use the pen daily, empty and refill. After the period, I rinse out the ink and the window of my pen is crystal clear, there is no staining at all. Different ink dyes can react differently with other types of plastic, but after such usage I'm fairly confident of the ink's hassle free nature. I think the cleanliness is a good quality.

Edited by Downcelot

Topaz is amazing. With the right nib you get a range of shading from light aqua to a dark indigo; and a nice red sheen on top of that!

Sapphire is ok. It goes down purple and dries to a royal blue. Can look a little washed out in a dry pen, but is rich and vibrant in a wetter pen.

Tanzanite is what 4001 blue black should be. It's very nib dependent, but can lay a dark midnight blue line with a slight red sheen that makes it look a little purple. The cartridges are much, much darker/more saturated than the bottled ink.

Adventurine is a color I would like to like, but just don't. It's a little darker than 4001 green, but doesn't have the character of MB Irish Green or GvFC Moss Green. Like BoBo noted, it really likes to feather.