Pelikan Nibs

Albus

Some vintage Pelikan nibs are flexible, some are semiflexible, and some are rigid. All modern Pelikan nibs, as most modern nibs of any brand, are rigid.

If you go up to the M10xx it has quite a bit of spring to it, but nothing like a real flex nib, of course.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vans4444

• Albus

• eastsidekate

• Bo Bo Olson

Asked basically the same question on a thread where I was buying a new M215. I got the M400 14K nib in it. It hasn't shipped out yet. Should I call and save myself some money by switching back to steel?

I understand the M800 was introduced in 1987. Is there likely to be much of a difference in the feel of an original M800 nib and a new one?

My old style M800 nib feels more springy compared to that of

the current M800 nib.

Asked basically the same question on a thread where I was buying a new M215. I got the M400 14K nib in it. It hasn't shipped out yet. Should I call and save myself some money by switching back to steel?

I also asked the same question about two years ago. As you would expect some members argued for the gold nib and others against. It was not clear cut. What I took away from the discussion was, you are unlikely to feel much of a difference in the writing experience between the gold and steel (although there was some dispute over this). The cost difference is such that you could buy a second spare steel nib or put the money towards another pen. Pelikan M400 nibs come in a greater range of sizes

Since then I have bought a number of modern Pelikan M200 and M400 nibs. Of these my favorite is a steel F.

Piembi is the expert with the German and Pelikan nibs.

Able to say pre '97 and '80's and know the difference.

I don't have any '80's. And Just One pre'96. Tortoise started a year later and ended a year sooner, and mine says Germany making it between '90 and '96.

I forgot in my rant from before to say, I have a Pelikan 120 regular gold plated Fine that is a joy to write with.

My 140 OB 14K 30 degree, is a grand nib, nearly as good as my MB 243 1/2 14 K KOB....that is nib and tuck and it might be the MB lays better in my hand, giving it plus points.

My 400NN 14 K OF is a F-1, maxi-semi-flex or slightly Flexible...I like the hell out of that nib...and the pen grew on me too.It's up there in the top three. Today my Geha 725 Goldschwing is 4 on other days, it's in the battle for number two.

I have to rate my '90-96 400 Tortonis regular flex 14K M, above the 120 steel nib, but not by much at all. That 120 is a very nice nib to write with. I do have better semi-flex Fine nibs of course. But for a regular flex Fine it is a joy to write with.

The 605...well a BB should be smother than a Fine. The 120 steel tines spread more than the 14 K modern BB. The 605 is closer to a stiff regular of my Parker -75, than I expected.

The fact I've got a fat BB or a BB 1/2 may be one of the reasons I don't use it much. Smooth it is. But smoothness is not everything, it is a tad too wide for my hand. I have other Vintage OBB's that are not quite so wide. How ever wide nibs use to be a tad narrower back in the old days.

Of the two, I'd rather write with the 120. :headsmack:

I have always been glad that BB nib is destined to become a Cursive Italic.

Things to do, get a 400 from the early '80's. :rolleyes: Or perhaps a 600...that would be it, get a 600 from the early '80's. An early '80's 800 would be a grail pen.

All my best nibs are very good and close to each other in performance, considering the differences in width and 'cut'.

It's just right now, the BB 605 don't belong to them.Perhaps as a Cursive Italic it can cut the mustard.

I just realized my 120 is gold plated and looks like new..odd I didn't pay attention to that.

The plating must be good, I have some Reform 'plated' nibs and they were lightly plated and the nib came through.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Piembi is the expert with the German and Pelikan nibs.

Able to say pre '97 and '80's and know the difference.

I forgot in my rant from before to say, I have a Pelikan 120 regular gold plated Fine that is a joy to write with.

Of the two, I'd rather write with the 120. :headsmack:

Now that is odd Bo Bo. I have a gold plated F 120 nib and I 100% agree with your comments. Odd in the sense that in my small but growing collection of Pelikans I would have expect better nib performance from the more expensive nibs. I had assumed the performance from the F 120 was some sort of lucky chance, but that does not seem to be the case? Perhaps steel 120 nibs are just good compared to some new Pelikan nibs?