The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mystery Eversharp - Streamliner!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pescador

pescador

Las Plumas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:40

lower tier, without the trimmings of the skyline series.
Thanks>Richard Binder

Sponsored Content

#2 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:18

I swear that guy knows everything!! :-) I wish I would have thought about this because I KNEW your pen looked familiar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...b#ht_500wt_1154

I'm glad you found out what you have.

-Tom
My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

#3 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2010 - 17:34

With all due respect to anyone who has opined on this question, I can not concur with the "Streamliner" designation. The Streamliner profile is the same as the Skyline (once called Skyliner, btw) That is the barrel of the Streamliner is tapered to a pointy end just like the Skyline. The dressed down nature of the Streamliner saw a clip attached to a ring that was sandwiched between the dome (a screw on just like the Skyline but without the groove for the over the top type clip) and the cap barrel. I can supply pictures of the Streamliner if desired. The barrel of the mystery pen on second look is more like the shape of the Airlite or Varsity pen. The cap that is shown if it has the Eversharp name on it is still a mystery until I or someone with data to show can dig it out. That pressed in tab type clip gets me for now.

Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#4 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:05

With all due respect to anyone who has opined on this question, I can not concur with the "Streamliner" designation. The Streamliner profile is the same as the Skyline (once called Skyliner, btw)

I don't think the pen in question is a Streamliner, but whatever it is, it's not quite the same as the pen I've identified as the Streamliner (shown here). Note especially the clip, but note also that I've seen this pen shape with and without a band:

Posted Image

It is also without question neither a Symphony nor a Ventura. The profile is entirely wring for either. Here are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Symphonys (models 500, 703, and 701, respectively) and a Ventura:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the Streamliner being the same as the Skyline, I don't think so. I've seen advertising for the dressed-down pen you describe in which it's called the Thrift. I stupidly didn't buy the ad...

According to Edward Pasahow's (now withdrawn) book, Skyliner was a specific trim version of the Skyline in 1941 and '42: red, black, or brown longitudinal stripes on both cap and barrel, with a narrow band and a solid-color derby. I cannot corroborate this, as I've never seen such a pen. But I've never seen ads describing the entire line as Skyliner.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#5 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:38

With reflection, Richard and I agree on the Ventura and Symphony not being a good guess. That's what I get for shooting from the hip while on the road. I am looking further back into the Late 30's now. The Wahl Oxfords had a visualated section as did the Varsity and the Airlite. I was thinking of those for the pen barrel and the section. But, The barrel has no conical end, so the Oxford is out, but the other two I think had a blunt rounded end to their barrels. More later. The cap is still AFAIAC not original. Could be wrong about that of course.

here is the repair manual regarding Streamliners:

Sorry for the fast scan, but it shows enough.
Posted Image

Edited by Wahlnut, 28 September 2010 - 07:40.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#6 jonveley

jonveley

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2011 - 17:43

That first picture Richard posted is what I would refer to as a Skyline Press Clip II, since it has the flat clip and a single cap band. They didn't produce many pens to accompany the pencils, which by the time they were produced were relegated to a "utility pencil" category rather than a flagship line (the Fifth Avenue and Symphony lines were the flagships at the time).

#7 noyesville

noyesville

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 22:20

OK, since I now have one--the Streamliner--that is bright black, no brassing, and writes a lovely medium wet line, I noticed that the nib is marked differently from the Skyline®. Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to value? Thanks. David Silber

Sponsored Content

|