The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Calligraphy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 franzrogar

franzrogar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2010 - 13:33

SAILOR, "Special Script Calligraphy Pen" (AKA "Calligraphy")

This pen is cheap, in 20-30 EUR range, so the materials are cheap too. First impression when you look at it is that it's well done. First impression when you touch it it's cheap. I'd made this because all others reviews didn't mention and show its use as a calligraphy instrument but a writer's one.

1. Appearance & Design (8) - Classic model
Dark blue color (may seem violet or black depending the light). Clip and ring golded. The engraves in the rig are properly done. Good looking. A classic design.

2. Construction & Quality (6) - Cheap but resistent
It's cheap. It's been in my hand just for 3 hours and the golded parts are still golded (my perspiration is acid) so it has some quality.

3. Weight & Dimensions (6) - Small and lightweight
It weights nothing. Seriously, it seems if you left window open it could fly away. Scary.

4. Nib & Performance (9) - Dry and smooth, difficult to write with it
The nib is golden (not "gold") and says "Sailor F-2". It's a strange nib as it's a Sailor's pen after all. It's dry and smooth. The stroke width is controlled changin' the pen angle respect to the paper, and that's the hard part. To be useful you have to use it as if it were a brush but without applying too much preassure (it's a fountain pen, remember?)

5. Filling System & Maintenance (8) - Proprietary Sailor cartridge/converter
It's the propietary and standard Sailor cartdrige/converter. I've used a standard Sailor converter directly in it.

6. Cost & Value (8) - No alternatives
A calligraphy pen for 20-30 EUR wich works like a brush? Nice deal if you want to do calligraphy. If you want to write with it as if it were another fountain pen... then, this pen is not for you.

7. Conclusion (Final score: 7.5) - A nice calligraphy pen
I think it's a good pen, for calligraphy, of course. I would buy it again if needed.

Image info:
  • Paper 60 g/m^2 (ink did NOT cross to the other paper side :yikes: even at the broader strokes)
  • "Geronimo Gil" font (FP and ink info) created by my (shameless self-promotion XD)
Sailor_Calligraphy.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Content

#2 franzrogar

franzrogar

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 16:52

Here're some other pictures:

1 - Pen box, pen and three cartridges:
Spoiler

2 - Stroke width and different strokes (double lines) based on angle:
Spoiler

Edited by franzrogar, 22 September 2010 - 23:01.

Thanks for reading.

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:01

thx for the review, franzrogar. that style of nib is called "fude".

he aquí una revista de un compatriota tuyo: http://www.fountainp..._1#entry1635163

(here's a review from one of your country man)

me gusta mas la pluma tuya con "clip"!!!
(i like your pen better with the clip)

ciao,
(no translation :happyberet: )

#4 Hospitalier

Hospitalier

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:00

So, this is my first post, de facto introducing myself.

Just received delivery of the Sailor calligraphy pen about an hour or so ago, and have just a few things to say further to franzrogar's comments.

I agree entirely that it looks posh but feels less so, however, when there is a full load of ink inside and literally all you are feeling is the weight of the ink, you can appreciate that actually the pen is very well built and if it was carbon instead of plastic you'd be paying hundreds instead of tens.

I filled my converter with Platinum Carbon black...

If you are one of these peculiar people who must have more than one fountain pen, do not go without this piece; you will fall in love!

Sponsored Content

|