The First Fontain Pen - Carene?

lightstorm

It would be interesting to know about the warranty. I have a "regular" Parker ball pen. They said about lifetime warranty in the leaflet. Could you tell me about the warranty on the fountain pens, such like Carene. I believe that it is an "upper" price segment, so how they claim for the warranty? Lifetime or time limited?

Thank you!

The Warranty booklet in a new Carene says, in brief

3 years from purchase against defects in materials or workmanship. This warranty may be extended by registering at www.waterman.com.

How one registers I am not sure and as the pen has no serial numbers (that are visible) it all seems rather ambiguous.

I will try registering a couple of pens this evening, both purchased new from ebuygum.

Edited by Force

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightstorm

• Left FPN

• jigesh

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find Carene owners intriguing. Its not uncommon to find Pilot VP and Lamy owners possessing 2 to 4 pens. But Carene owners are a totally different barrel of fish altogether. They have 7 or more pens.

Well, 7 pens is just in the beginning, before the bug really bites you. Or, before one learns of Lewertowski on eBay ;)

So there must be something special about this pen to inspire such loyalty.

Other than writing really well, here's one reason: I had forgotten a Carene inked in a drawer....for about 12 months. When I opened the drawer, I feared the worst, had in my mind already the ammonia and ultrasonic cleaner as the bare minimum necessities for getting it into working condition. The Carene disagreed: when I uncapped it, it wrote as if it has been inked just yesterday. It wasn't the slightest miffed about having been ignored for such a long time.

Detractors will complain about the rigid nibs on the Carene. Other detractors (one in particular) will complain because the Carene is a Waterman. But then, there're lost souls everywhere, and we can't save 'em all ;)

Force--

You don't need a serial #. Just go to the Waterman website and you will find a page for registering your pen. After you're done, you will be instructed to print off a page with verification.

My guess would be that you don't need to prove registration to get your pen repaired in 3-5 years. I sent in (to Parker-Waterman service in Wisconsin, USA) a 40+ year-old Parker 75 BP, told 'em I was not the original owner (it had been my grandfather's), and they fixed it for free anyway. In fact, they shipped it back at no charge, and even threw in a new refill.

Back to the Carene: it's just a solid c/c pen with a great 18kt nib. A great value at lewertowski's prices.

Edited by Koyote

A great value at lewertowski's prices.

Yes, agreed but better prices can be had, you just have to keep an ear to the ground and a very close eye on ebay ;)

Edited by Force

Well, one more question: how safe to use a converter? I mean that there are no screw sign on it, it just fill in the nib. How safe such way of connection - no leakage?

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything you're free to do anything.

Well, one more question: how safe to use a converter? I mean that there are no screw sign on it, it just fill in the nib. How safe such way of connection - no leakage?

I've never had a problem with a Waterman converter in 20+ years. They just push into the section. Never had a leak. By no screw sign, do you mean which direction to rotate the filler rod. Some say remove converter and fill it and then place it into the section. Some say they have no problem dipping the nib/section into the ink and filling the converter. Horses for courses I think.

Well, I wanted to say that there is no screw safe tight fastening of the converter to the Carene nib.... I would prefer to have a tight connection, but if it is just like that...

And one more thing... The finish of the pen I ordered is satin and I suppose very subtle and gently. If I would write with the cup put on pen - would it damage in some way the finishing of the pen?

Thank you for your opinion.

Edited by lightstorm

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything you're free to do anything.

If I would write with the cup put on pen - would it damage in some way the finishing of the pen?

Thank you for your opinion.

A posted cap with eventualy mark the barrel :(

I dont post for that reason.

My wife (ex W H Smiths pen sales circa 1970's) tells me a cap should be posted for balance. She is not buying my pens so I dont agree....I just :vbg:

Well, guys, it is finally here!

I found it nice! Pretty heavy, nib goes on paper very smoothly, very well balanced... I like it!

post-48956-086727300 1286363168.jpg

post-48956-053330100 1286363184.jpg

post-48956-004626800 1286363202.jpg

post-48956-012418700 1286363214.jpg

post-48956-087808100 1286363223.jpg

post-48956-094565900 1286363237.jpg

post-48956-025653800 1286363273.jpg

Well, guys, it is finally here!

I found it nice! Pretty heavy, nib goes on paper very smoothly, very well balanced... I like it!

Well done and very nice :clap1:

Now, what colour is next ;)

Ha-ha! Thank you! Your help in a way of your suggestions appreciated very much!

I think that the other Carene will be in different color and with M nib!

Thanks to everyone, who helped me to pick up THE RIGHT PEN!!!

Edited by lightstorm

Ha-ha! Thank you! Your help in a way of your suggestions appreciated very much!

I think that the other Carene will be in different color and with M nib!

Thanks to everyone, who helped me to pick up THE RIGHT PEN!!!

You could not go far wrong with the Black Carene in Medium that is currently on offer for $90 shipped in the Classifieds. I laready have a Black Gloss otherwise I would be going for it.

You could not go far wrong with the Black Carene in Medium that is currently on offer for $90 shipped in the Classifieds. I laready have a Black Gloss otherwise I would be going for it.

Yeah! But the black one seems to look quite "gloomy and dark". I just look at the pen I got yesterday - what a nice a joyful color! May be I can not refer it like "vivid", but it is more joyful as black one! If I would go for another Carene - blue one seems to be OK! Ha-ha!

Waterman Carene FOREVER!!! :cloud9:

Yeah! But the black one seems to look quite "gloomy and dark". I just look at the pen I got yesterday - what a nice a joyful color! May be I can not refer it like "vivid", but it is more joyful as black one! If I would go for another Carene - blue one seems to be OK! Ha-ha!

Waterman Carene FOREVER!!! :cloud9:

Each to his own as they say.

I must add your stern cap must be inline with the nib when the barrel is tight on the section. It can be adjusted fairly easily, see here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/162875-carene-nib/page__p__1625373#entry1625373

Edited by Force

Each to his own as they say.

Yeah! That`s right! Surely, the black one has it`s own beauty! I just formulated myself badly!

And thanks for the instructions how to adjust the barrel. I will take my time to figure out how to do this! Ha-ha!

Thanks again!

I registered my pen on the Waterman site and in one day they sent me a certificate for two years warranty extension. Not bad, but for using it I have to go to Moscow - 4500 kilometers away! Ha-ha!

Edited by lightstorm

writing in comparison:

1. Waterman Carene Garnet Red

2. Waterman Hemisphere roller.

3. Parker Sonnet Ball point pen.

4. Berlingo Gel Ink Pen (priced less than 1 dollar).

post-48956-016785600 1286537564.jpg