The First Fontain Pen - Carene?

lightstorm

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie for writing by fountain pen, but I always wanted to become a part of the people, who use it. So I decided to go for a Waterman Carene pen. Well, I wanted to start from the best. Ha-ha! So, I am about to order it on ebay.

What should I expect from using that pen? Does it "tricky" in everyday life? Are there some "tricks" for using the notorious nib, or it "works right out from the box"?

I did a little survey on this forum and found out that in more than a few posts it written that "it leaks". Is it right, or it can happen to any pen?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

Andrew.

Edited by lightstorm

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything you're free to do anything.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightstorm

• Left FPN

• jigesh

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andrew,

To begin, welcome to FPN! I think you'll find it a welcoming and informative place.

My first FP was a Carene and it was where I really fell in love with FP's. Reliable and stylish, it's a sweet pen. The only "trick" I can tell you about is that since the nib is integral to the section that if your fingers creep forward and grip the pen closer to the business end when writing (like if you are trying to do some detail work) that they might slide forward enough to touch the back edge of the nib and then you get some ink on your fingers.

I think this is one of the places where the "it leaks" comments come from. But, if your hand was touching the back edge of any nib you'd get ink flowing on your fingers but on a more traditional style that contact is much less likely. So, keep your fingers in a normal writing position and you'll have no problems.

Enjoy your beautiful Carene and welcome to the wonderful world of fountain pens!

W2FPN.gif

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

.....it "works right out from the box"?...

The first thing I would recommend is to soak the nib/grip part in a bowl of luke-warm water mixed with a small drop of dishwashing liquid; followed by thorough washing with just water. This removes oily fluid that they at the factory use.

From e-bay, I would recommend seller "lewertowsky" - no affiliation, just a happy customer.

My Carene has been perfect in all ways -- smooth nib, perfect ink flow, never skips and never dry-starts, never leaks.

I don't know what you mean by "notorious nib." It's a very good nib.

+1 for buying on eBay from lewertowski.

I just wanted to emphasize that it is different from other producer`s nibs.

And how can you comment the following discussion link?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142050-waterman-carene-problem-your-help-me/

May be I just have not to "overfill" the pen with ink?

Edited by lightstorm

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything you're free to do anything.

WOW the Carene is getting some front page time at the moment.... :thumbup:

You mean - I should go for it? I thought about the Perspective at first - but Carene "put a spell" on me! :)

The first thing I would recommend is to soak the nib/grip part in a bowl of luke-warm water mixed with a small drop of dishwashing liquid; followed by thorough washing with just water. This removes oily fluid that they at the factory use.

it may be good advice, yet I have not done that with any of the 17 Carene's that I own and use, and not one of them had skipped a beat because of it.

Generally, the Carene's are the most trouble-free writers I have ever encountered. Maintenance free and well performing, really.

From e-bay, I would recommend seller "lewertowsky" - no affiliation, just a happy customer.

+10 - Lewertowski is a vendor to recommend.

WOW the Carene is getting some front page time at the moment.... :thumbup:

You mean - I should go for it? I thought about the Perspective at first - but Carene "put a spell" on me! :)

I am hooooked on them, great writer, great feel and a lovely looker. :thumbup: Yes, go for it.

My Sea Green medium has been with me for over two years, seeing some much more impressive and expensive pens come and go in my collection. Yes, the wings show what I'd call ink creep but is, as mentioned, only a problem if you hold the section low enough down. I'm using Diamine Forrest Green carts in it and the ink does feather around the nib. Waterman's own large cart of black ink didn't seem to. I'll try it again when the Diamine runs out.

Every time I use it, which is infrequently, it reminds me that my other pens are potentially superfluous :blush:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

it may be good advice, yet I have not done that with any of the 17 Carene's that I own and use, and not one of them had skipped a beat because of it.....

I do it religiously not because it had ever skipped, but because I noticed either residual ink on/around the nib due to testing at the factory or some kind of protective (perhaps against oxidization) oily-feeling thin film that they use prior to packing.

I just wanted to emphasize that it is different from other producer`s nibs.

And how can you comment the following discussion link?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142050-waterman-carene-problem-your-help-me/

May be I just have not to "overfill" the pen with ink?

I read the referenced thread, and I suspect the poster's problem arose from ink choice and filling methods.

I have only filled my Carene from bottles (no cartridges) and I fill it directly through the nib section, and I then wipe off the section thoroughly. No problems so far. (By the way, I have used only inks that are widely regarded as safe: Waterman, Diamine, Aurora. I know that plenty of people use brands like Noodlers without difficulty, but the aforementioned brands - Diamine especially -- have huge color choices and are regarded as very well-behaved.)

8 Carenes here and they're my go to work pens. Beware inks notorious for nib creep such as Noodlers. That's not a slam at Noodlers, that's an obvservation that nib creep becomes section creep and therefore messy.

These are some of the best pens out there [i have $1k LEs and still use Carenes for road trips], generally perfection straight out of the box, and hold up well under otherwise abusive pen situations, such as military deployments. For extreme travel, I take boxes of Waterman cartridges with me. They'll write under rough conditions, no problem.

I've gotten the vast majority from J.M. Lewertowski. Great seller and widest variety of nib sizes out there. Love the stubs to go with my B nibs. :cloud9:

I heard that it has some built in filter. Is it true? And for what purpose it built in?

I heard that it has some built in filter....

Please give the link from where you got this info. I am not aware of any filter inside Carene's nib section (or anywhere) and am pretty sure there isn't any.

Sorry! May be it was just a misunderstanding from my side!

I just ordered it on the ebay. Yeah, Lewertowski has a brilliant offers, but unfortunately he does not ship to Russia, so I had to find some other options. I paid for the pen 125$. I think it is reasonable price. What you think?

So, from now I will wait till the delivery moment. They said that it will take up to three weeks! I hope that it will be sooner! Ha-ha!

Edited by lightstorm

Sorry! May be it was just a misunderstanding from my side!

I just ordered it on the ebay. Yeah, Lewertowski has a brilliant offers, but unfortunately he does not ship to Russia, so I had to find some other options. I paid for the pen 125$. I think it is reasonable price. What you think?

So, from now I will wait till the delivery moment. They said that it will take up to three weeks! I hope that it will be sooner! Ha-ha!

That is a good price if it includes the shipping. Can we aske where you bought it.

That is a good price if it includes the shipping. Can we aske where you bought it.

Try to follow that link:

http://shop.ebay.com/pilotfishpens/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Edited by lightstorm

Yeah!

I saw the same pen, which is selling on the ebay on much higher price (about 1.5-2 times)! But if I would order from Lewertowski - I would have even more profitable price! :headsmack:

Edited by lightstorm