• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Watching some properly trashy TV - Murder Maps, on UKTV. A historical documentary series (I feel like both historical and documentary should be in inverted commas because it's so poor, but it's not fiction, and it's about past events, so there it is!)

In S2 E1 "Murder in the Roaring Twenties", there's a dramatisation of the female protagonist sitting at a desk writing a letter with a fountain pen, it's clearly a Parker Vector.

I'm guessing the show is so cheap they couldn't afford a writing instrument consultant to check the pen they were using was at least plausible, as the Vector is so clearly a modern pen.

33667339858_e163e5c184_c.jpgParker Vector in 1920s programme by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

Instagram @inkysloth

fpn_1554508813__750459.jpg

Fred

Even with the brain dead, the { pig's heart } Keeps on beating

Sort of like

Pick a Kardashian

Anthony Bourdain......Parts Unknown....Sicily

fpn_1554508813__750459.jpg

Fred

Even with the brain dead, the { pig's heart } Keeps on beating

Sort of like

Pick a Kardashian

Anthony Bourdain......Parts Unknown....Sicily

Screenshots and further speculation in this thread.

“Mrs. Wilson” on PBS, about 45 minutes into the episode, the title character is writing in her journal with a nice little Waterman 452 1/2v - the sterling latticework ringtop.

Sweet little pen: I’d know it anywhere.

American Psycho. In one of the scenes Willem Dafoe's character, private detective Donald Kimball, takes notes with what appears to be a Cross Townsend... somewhat hard to tell but the shape of the cap & clip, the trim rings on the cap plus the section that ends in a trim ring and open nib seem to match.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, there is a series called "Salem" and one of the main actors regularly uses a VERY rudimentary, almost steampunk, fountain pen... Pretty sure the period is about 100 years before steel nibs but eh

Thannk you Fred.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

PBS did a documentary about Joseph Pulitzer, which begins with with a recreated scene - circa 1890s - of the newspaper magnate on his yacht, dictating to a reporter WHOS USING A MODERN MONT BLANC!

Its a shande!

Edited by sidthecat

PBS did a documentary about Joseph Pulitzer, which begins with with a recreated scene - circa 1890s - of the newspaper magnate on his yacht, dictating to a reporter WHOS USING A MODERN MONT BLANC!

Its a shande!

Well clearly he was wealthy enough to afford a time machine so he could buy a fountain pen from the future!

Instagram @inkysloth

I'm disappointed...they're usually good about such things, although nobody in these things seems to know how to use a goose-quill pen.

I'm disappointed...they're usually good about such things, although nobody in these things seems to know how to use a goose-quill pen.

Amen! (every time I see a quill with all of the vanes on it I scream quietly to myself)

Nor do you see steel pens very often. Pretty much anything during the American Civil War up to the 1920's should be written with a steel pen unless they were a fairly wealthy person. The prop masters tend to cop out and use pencils, and sometimes even quills, though they were not at all common by that point. And when you do see an actor writing with a pen, it's never dipped enough. I guess all of that dipping would interrupt the flow of the narrative.

Sheesh.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 1 month later...

... "The Twilight Zone" (the 1960s series) ...

In episode 12 (titled "What You Need") in Season One, a leaky (or 'burping') fountain pen was featured as the means by which the winning horse was identified from a list on a newspaper, ahead of a race the following day.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Three Stooges with Moe Larry Shemp

Starting at 0:26.......................

Shemp- What a dream...You know fellas I just dreamt we invented

a fountain pen that writes under whipped cream.......................

Moe- at 0:36..........................

There's your whipped cream..and there's your fountain pen.........

Larry- Write yourself a letter..........................................

Shemp- Dear Ma........................................................

What pen did he use?????????????????????????????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BLWIzZjc9_4

Fred

Last cup? Time to buy more. Carpe Freez'em

Amen! (every time I see a quill with all of the vanes on it I scream quietly to myself)

Nor do you see steel pens very often. Pretty much anything during the American Civil War up to the 1920's should be written with a steel pen unless they were a fairly wealthy person. The prop masters tend to cop out and use pencils, and sometimes even quills, though they were not at all common by that point. And when you do see an actor writing with a pen, it's never dipped enough. I guess all of that dipping would interrupt the flow of the narrative.

Sheesh.

Been watching Deadwood due to the recent movie release & this one makes me lol. There are occasions where a signature is needed that they will dip before writing, but sometimes someone will just pick up a nib holder from where it was laying on the desk or counter & start in on a note or letter like they're picking up a Bic.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend my husband and I got a chance to binge watch the mini-series Good Omens. At various points, the various members of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have packages delivered to them by the same service (and same driver). Not sure about all four of them, but "Pollution" ("Pestilence" having retired) is handed what looks like a fountain pen for her to sign for the package being delivered to her (and ends up with ink on her face...).

Sorry, not a good look -- I was at a friend's house because we hadn't gotten Amazon Prime hooked up yet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."