Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

I've been watching "The Crown". I don't know the brand, but Winston Churchill writes with a fountain pen. I am an antique inkwell collector and I watch for inkwells. There are several that show up on the desks in this movie of dignitaries (Churchill and Queen Elizabeth)

When he writes the speech for the dead of King George, he use a Parker Sonnet in his bed.post-16956-0-92985100-1518536072_thumb.png

Edited by mazinger55

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I've been watching "The Crown". I don't know the brand, but Winston Churchill writes with a fountain pen. I am an antique inkwell collector and I watch for inkwells. There are several that show up on the desks in this movie of dignitaries (Churchill and Queen Elizabeth)

He also used a Pelikan. The Crown was quite accurate down to the pen about Liz (Paker 51, burgundy), but with the others seems they threw their hands in the air and just bought any pen in any shop, with even a Parker IM making an appearance... There's a thread here on just The Crown, see here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314891-the-crown-netlifx-series-fountain-pen-sightings/

Movie: A Passage To India 1984

Scene: Dr. Aziz H. Ahmed, MBBS Physician & Surgeon.....

Writing letter to Miss Adela Quested.....Usin' a Black Hard Rubber {Chased?} fountain pen with accommodation clip.....

A%2BPassage%2BTo%2BIndia%2BAziz%2BEnd.jpFred

Bonus scene: Earlier in the film..we see Miss Adela Quested signing her name on Peninsula and Oriental Steam Navigation Company ticket....

Name that pen...........Alex what is...........................................

Kind of a funny one.

When Calls The Heart set in 1910

Season 4 Ep 11 time 3:13

Noodler's Creaper :D

Noodler's been around much longer than thought! Nathan Tardiff should share his secret to longevity I'd say.

Mr.Roberts 1955

Scene with William Powell , Henry Fonda , Jack Lemmon.

Note the Esterbrook 401 Dip-Less on the desk maroon with black taper pen

Fredhttp://www.oscarchamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1955-Mister-Roberts-05.jpg

Edited by Freddy

Mr.Roberts 1955

Scene with William Powell , Henry Fonda , Jack Lemmon.

Note the Esterbrook 401 Dip-Less on the desk maroon with black taper pen

Fredhttp://www.oscarchamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1955-Mister-Roberts-05.jpg

Carter´s or Esterbrook ??

Edited by Mr.Rene

Noodler's been around much longer than thought! Nathan Tardiff should share his secret to longevity I'd say.

And I've met him, and suspect he may be younger than I am! (He sounds a million years old in his videos...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Carter´s or Esterbrook ??

At 300% zoom..'Tis a Morriset.. certainly not a Carter's or 401................You have a good eye.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Early in the 1969 movie "On her Majesty's Secret Service" you can see a bottle of Quink on Moneypenny's desk:

fpn_1520181658__moneypenny.jpg

Later in the movie Sir Hilary Bray will use a Parker 65 Insignia/Signet, James Bond will use a Parker 51 and one of Blofeld's goons will use a dip pen.

Haven't seen the film yet, but I did spy a fountain pen in this screenshot from the recent Phantom Thread.

THE-RAKE-PHANTOM-THREAD-13.jpg

During a chapter the series "WWII: Masters of War" on Winston Churchill, there is a reenactment where the Prime Minister appears using a black Parker 51. Here it appears on his desk:

fpn_1520433380__churchill3.jpg

Later on, there is a reenactment of a meeting of the War Cabinet, and Churchill appears with a lever-fill mottled pen with an open nib:

fpn_1520433514__churchill4.jpg

There are also two more pens in the scene.

Not a movie but in a profile of Noor Menai, President and CEO of CTBC Bank there is a very clear image including several Sheafers shown with Menai's favorite books on a credenza. Perhaps others can identify the models. Source: today's (3-11-18) Page 2, WORKSPACE feature BUSINESS SECTION of NEW YORK TIMES.

I noticed there were two or three shots of fountain pens in the new Tomb Raider. Noihvo got the description pretty well.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

During a recent documentary on the North African front of the Second World War there is a recreation of Field Marshall Rommel writing to his wife with this flexy Pelikan-looking lever fill pen:

fpn_1522004010__leverfill.jpg

The Windsors is a British comedy series poking fun at the royal family; I've been watching it on Netflix. Here Pippa Middleton writes a letter with what I'll guess is a Parker Vector, though I'll be happy to accept corrections. There's a fairly important plot logic reason why it needs to be a handwritten letter, not an Email or text.

post-79989-0-84530500-1522551368_thumb.png

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

The Windsors is a British comedy series poking fun at the royal family; I've been watching it on Netflix. Here Pippa Middleton writes a letter with what I'll guess is a Parker Vector, though I'll be happy to accept corrections. There's a fairly important plot logic reason why it needs to be a handwritten letter, not an Email or text.

For me it looks like a Parker Jotter...the nib is longer than a Vector...