Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Some sort of Sheaffer, I am guessing, in Jean-Jacques Beineix's Betty Blue. Beineix is possibly better known for directing Diva.

1le5ea.gif

Hard to tell but the cap almost looks Montegrappa'ish...sort of like a Parola only I don't think those were made in 1986.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

I recently watched Behind Office Doors (1931) starring Mary Astor. We saw a number of fountain pens in this movie, but most were in long shots and not easily identifiable. One that I saw pretty early on appeared to be some species of Parker, but in a black and white movie I find it hard to identify a fountain pen that is lingering on the screen for only a fraction of a second.

Just about every desk had its desk set, too. I'm not up on desk sets of those days, so I can't identify them either, but those were fountain pens I saw in them.

The movie is pre-code, so there are things in it that wouldn't be seen again until the other end of the 20th Century.

And the attitudes expressed by the movie toward women was of that time, as well. Unfortunately, there are some who haven't gotten much past 1931, in that area yet.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Watching a rerun of "Criminal Minds" episode called "The Replicator," and special guest villain Mark Hammill uses a Retro 51 Tornado fountain pen. Unlike every Retro 51 fountain pen I've owned, this one seems to write well.

During a recent episode of "The Americans" a KGB colonel has a FP desk set but prefers to use a ballpoint in 1984 Moscow.

fpn_1490468151__kgb.jpg

Satayajit Ray's The Big City

1mk1lp.gif

1mk1uo.gif

1mk1yp.gif

A master of rendering the importance of the seemingly quoditian.

Edited by rob-k

In Captain America Civil War, Stark shows Cap a set of dip pens that "FDR used to sign the Lend Lease agreements".

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Natasha Exelby is fascinated by her pen, perhaps wondering whether she should trade it in on a real one.

Half way down here

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/watch-this-news-anchors-live-stuff-up-is-the-most-/bcd54b2d-05ec-456c-905f-dbb2d243bc19.htm

Sorry, slow process to link it properly from a mobile device.

X

The Expanse (season 2, ep 12), Sailor Pro Gear.

http://orig03.deviantart.net/82b5/f/2017/103/9/3/expanse__s2e12_pro_gear_by_voidelemental-db5p2je.png

PBS has shown a three part, six hour series titled The Great War about America and World War I, for the 100th anniversary of the U.S.A. declaring war on the German Empire.

In it we see any number of still photographs, and at least one movie clip, of President Woodrow Wilson using either a dip pen or a fountain pen. I think he uses each at different times. We can see him dipping a pen to write with in one clip, so that is probably a dip pen, although it looks awfully like a fountain pen of the day, especially its thickness and total lack of a taper. In one other shot I think he is using a fountain pen though.

Wilson had been a college professor and then the President of Princeton University, and the Governor of New Jersey before he became President. So he spent his whole life mostly using dip pens, and then he would have had fountain pens as well. It's interesting to think that his pens and ink, between signing bills into law and writing out plans for things like the League of Nations, had such effect on the world of his day.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

On this season's premiere of "Dr Who" the good doctor writes with a fountain pen:

fpn_1492419067__drwho.jpg

It's not exactly a fountain pen sighting, but in "Death In Paradise" I caught a glimpse of a Clairfontaine A5 notebook in the new retro pattern - in a criminal's lockbox.

The Light Between Oceans, Michael Fassbender's character makes notes in the lighthouse logbook with a fountain pen... but I'd like to know which one!

Hmm. May have to rewatch that Doctor Who episode -- I completely missed that. :headsmack:

Over the weekend I watched the movie Lady in Gold; part of the movie is flashbacks of Maria Altman's life in Vienna before she and her husband escaped the Nazis. One of the characters (her father or uncle) is shown using a fountain pen, but I didn't get a good enough look at what it was).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A Mont Blanc ballpoint (sorry can't tell the number :o ) is a significant plot device in Hand Of God Season 2.

But they do better than that : the main character is seen writing with the pan at a bar and the bartender making small talk mentions how he noticed left-handed people preferring ballpoints to fountain pens (it's an upscale bar ... ) because of the smearing.

Film: A Beautiful Mind

Scene: Colleagues Laying Down Pens

Starts at 3:56 "Professor Nash {lays pen on table}..It's good to have you here..John."

Fred

As a pen collector/lover, I've always wondered if these pens are kept by the recipient being honored or if they are returned. I have seen this type of honorarium performed in another movie, but it was no more specific on the subject. When, where and how did this begin and what is the etiquette involved?

Fair winds and following seas.

• 2 weeks later...

In 101 Dalmatians, Cruella De Vil.Trying to write a check for the puppies:

Oh blast this pen!

and shakes it.

Blast this wretched, wretched pen! EH!

Splatters ink over Pongo and Roger.

I remember that many years ago, Mariana, my youngest daughter used to tell me that she liked my FP's, she always wanted to borrow one to do as Cruella! She was about 5 or 6.

Cheers from Mexico.

Gilberto

Arguably one of the funniest parts of the movie, I also loved it when I was a child, before I got into fountain pens.