Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Not TV, but a fountain pen is featured pretty prominently in the picture at the top of this story about Bill Belichick's time as Cleveland's head coach: http://www.nfl.com/belichickletters

Looks like a Jinhao X450...

fpn_1475631736__belichickletters.jpg

Edited by carlos.q

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Looks like a Jinhao X450...

It's a little small in the image, but looking more closely, I think you might be right. It has that shaped section thing going on.

I'm sure this has been noticed but I don't want to go through 40 pages of posts to find out... my wife and I were watching the TV show Fringe last night and noticed the observer September was using a Parker 45 to make notes while in a diner, observing. We had to laugh... it's the same pen I was using earlier in the day and it was sitting on the table beside me.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• 3 weeks later...

In a recent episode of a biopic series about Federico García-Lorca, the spanish poet is depicted in this scene writing with a FP:

fpn_1477768757__lorca.jpg

It looks to me like a MB 344 which would be an anachronism as the events depicted in the episode take place sometime in the late 20's.

Dr Strange was waving a fountain pen around in the latest Marvel movie. Not sure which one, but it didn't look like a cheap one. Caran D'ache or Mont Blanc would be my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a Christmas movie this past weekend (Yes, I stopped watching election coverage), on the Hallmark Channel called Love Always, Santa.

It was about a young girl and her widowed Mother. The 8 year old writes Santa, who responds and the Mother reads the response from a divorced writer of childrens books, who is the surrogate Santa, and a romance develops from the handwritten (cursive) correspondence between mother and writer Santa.

There are close ups of the handwriting, and I can make out both the mom and writer are using a fountain pen with what seems to be an italic nib.

Could not make out the brand of fountain pen from either the style or the posted clip.

But what struck me, was there were comments as to the joy they both developed with the emotion and connection that the handwritten communication had elicited, rather than email or touchscreen use.

Anyway, if anyone sees this, which I am sure will be repeated several times before Christmas, would love to see if anyone can identify the pens used.

Dr Strange was waving a fountain pen around in the latest Marvel movie. Not sure which one, but it didn't look like a cheap one. Caran D'ache or Mont Blanc would be my guess.

I noticed the same thing. It looked like a Mark Newson Montblanc in black.

Quote: Do the thing you think you cannot do - Eleanor Roosevelt. Song: Our House - CSN&Y or Madness

Some model of Parker?

edit: Beat to the punch, although Sheshka has a model name to go with it.

Looks like it might be a Parker IM to me :)

-above quotes might be out of order- from page 25

I started watching season 3 and on E2, she's got a new all silver pen. I replayed the scene several times, but my player not really suited for super slow replay for me to see if it's a FP or not, or the brand. Maybe someone else can .

Edit: I'm talking about The Fall, British show with Gillian Anderson

Edited by FPbliss

Quote: Do the thing you think you cannot do - Eleanor Roosevelt. Song: Our House - CSN&Y or Madness

Just watched Civil War and I spotted Black Lamy Safari and Lamy T52 bottle of Blue-black ink :)

Just saw this last night at a friend's house. Was sort of zoning in and out, due to a severe lack of sleep the night before, so I didn't spot the Safari. But I did see the bottle of Lamy, on a desk along with some sort of desk pen, in an early part of the movie.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In a scene of the 1966 movie "Funeral in Berlin" there is a Pelikan advertisement on the left side of the screen, next to one of the Allied checkpoints:

fpn_1479687038__alliedcheckpoint.jpg

Last night my husband and I were flipping channels and ran across a show about the doctors and nurses at a MASH unit in the Korean War, which were the basis for the novel (and then movie and then TV show). The novel was written by someone who had been stationed at a MASH unit as a doctor, and there were some old film footage of someone (possibly the author of the novel) writing a letter home. Couldn't tell what the pen was, but it was definitely something with a threaded cap, and I think an open nib.

The show was called "The Real M*A*S*H". I can't tell from their website (which is badly laid out) whether the show will be aired again anytime soon, but it was quite interesting (and the home movie footage of someone using a fountain pen was just a bonus).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In Nicole Garcia's film Mal de pierres, Marion Cotillard's character writes about a hundred letters to her lover with an Eversharp Skyline - looked like a Demi with a gold cap.

Great film by the way. A 2016 melodrama like no one makes them any more. If you can see it on an actual theater screen, I highly recommend it.