Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

In the 2015 Netflix series "Sense8," the resident bad-ass Sun is seen signing the papers she hopes will get her out of prison with a blue Lamy Safari. Which, considering the scene was shot in South Korea, might say something about how prevalent Lamys are there now.

I just watched this myself, and it's actually a blue Lamy Al-Star (the metal body and translucent grip section give it away).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

War and Peace, currently on BBC: lots of dip pens and feather quills!

Prince Nikolai Bolkonsky (Jim Broadbent) does some writing then uses ponce and makes a great scene blowing it all over his desk! Also some good examples of writing (Russian script, though).

Ooh. Recorded the first episode (they're showing it on three different channels concurrently here in the States) but haven't had a chance to watch it yet; and for some Really *Annoying* (™) reason I can't set it up to record the series because I'm not it at the original timeslot (too many other things scheduled for Tuesday evenings in the 9-11 PM slot...).

I'm presuming that it's better than the 4 hour monstrosity from the 1960s (which may have been the version that my mother quoted my dad as saying -- as they were leaving the movie theatre -- "They should have called it 'Crime and Punishment', because it was a crime to make and punishment to sit through...). Actually, I saw it on TV a few years ago, and it wasn't bad as the "Cliff Notes" version (although Henry Fonda was *completely* miscast...) and it did get me to actually go read it then (I highly recommend the Penguin edition, which was translated by some Englishwoman in the 1950s). And I actually liked the book (a whole lot more than Anna Karenina -- which if I never have to read again, it will -- still -- be Too Soon...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In Diary of a Teenage Girl (directed by Marielle Heller), the main character writes and draws with a white Sheaffer NoNonsense fp, although she says earlier in the film that she uses india ink (I think she actually says "indian ink").

Couple of quick shots of pens in Tuesday's episode of Agent Carter: one that looked gold, with a black section, and some black cigar shaped pen (better look at it -- it was, um floating in air) but couldn't identify either.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Couple of quick shots of pens in Tuesday's episode of Agent Carter: one that looked gold, with a black section, and some black cigar shaped pen (better look at it -- it was, um floating in air) but couldn't identify either.

There were two Pilot Metropolitans in that episode. The sexist boss guy was holding a gold one, and the floating pen was a black Metropolitan.

Just saw H8ful 8

The cowboy, Gage, is writing with a fountain pen

I saw that too! It was a quick second, but I saw the fountain pen...

Watched the second episode of "Angel from Hell" last night...quite funny...but more importantly the dad character played by Kevin Pollak carries what appears to be a MB149 in his coat pocket

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

There's something of a drinking game to be made of watching episodes of Poirot on Netflix, starting about season four-- a shot every time that very same Osmiroid, made about the same time as the show, shows up. Hastings uses it, a judge uses it, a doctor....

If you really wanted to do yourself an injury, you'd also have a drink every time that very same white telephone shows up on yet another desk.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

As I was watching The Nun's Story, it looks like Audrey Hepburn uses a blue Esterbrook to sign a paper.

And, in David Bowie's video for "Lazarus", he's using a fountain pen that might be a Pelikan.

Did anyone catch "Grease Live" last night on Fox? In at least a couple of the morning announcement scenes, Principal McGee had a Parker 51 sitting uncapped on the writing pad on the counter by the microphone.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

And, in David Bowie's video for "Lazarus", he's using a fountain pen that might be a Pelikan.

Just saw the music video and noted this too. Does seem to be a black Pelikan, though he seems to do a number on the nib - made me cringe a little.

There is a MB on Alex Baldwin's night stand in It's Complicated. Yeah, yeah, my wife made me watch it - really.

It looks like it could be a 149.

Edited by Charles Rice

Just saw the music video and noted this too. Does seem to be a black Pelikan, though he seems to do a number on the nib - made me cringe a little.

You mean that ice pick move? Yeah, I doubt that anything legible was going on paper. :yikes:

Oliver's Ghost, though I can not recognize the brand of fountain pen. Clive is the ghost who uses the fountain pen to write. It looked like some version of a Waterman, but I am unsure. It looked like the body was crackling black and white. :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Not a fountain pen, but on last night's episode of Blue Bloods (2/19/2016), Commissioner Reagon visits the office of the Mayor. On the Mayor's desk is a vintage-looking double glass inkwell, sans ink. I could not see a pen on the inkwell stand, but Frank and the Mayor do sign a document during the segment. They never showed the whole pen, though, so I don't know what kind of pen it was. It happens about 45 minutes into the show (give or take; I wads so shocked by seeing the inkwell that I didn't think to check the time).

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

The movie [ Too Young To Kiss 1951 ] Van Johnson gives June Allyson a P51[ BW movie but the pen looked like it had a gold cap. ] to sign a contract for her younger sister [ who she is playing as a 14 year old also ] . Later on I see on Gig Young's desk an Esterbrook dipless desk set. Some of the subject matter is not P correct as Van Johnson's character falls in love with the 14 yr old version of June Allyson and not the 22 yr old version. What a cradle robber he was at 35 at the time. June was 34 playing a 14 yr old and a 22 yr old. Very interesting.

• 1 month later...

Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak. The main character's father gives her an expensive looking fountain pen. Looks like a sterling silver job - reminds me of the garish modern yard-o-led designs (yes, this is subjective, I know). I could not tell the make of the pen. Anyways, I don't want to give away the plot, but the pen is not used only as a writing instrument in the film. Yikes.

I posted this in another less-traveled thread.

Netflix movie/series Occupied. In the first episode, the Norwegian PM is using a Montblanc 146 or 149 (I think? I wasn't motivated enough to rewind it for a better look). It still had the nib size sticker on the barrel. If memory serves, it was a medium.

Occupied is a modern movie set in modern times, 2015 I believe. Great show, too.