Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

In the 1948 film "Fighter Squadron" there is a scene during a mission briefing in which the character played by Robert Stack takes out a pen from his pocket, unscrews the cap and writes some information on his hand:

fpn_1402223977__stack1.jpg

Although the first shot shows a pen with an open nib, the next shot shows what is surely a P51:

fpn_1402224107__stack2.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

the BBC's, Foyle's War has a lot of fountain pens but it's almost impossible to determine what brand.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

In the 1948 film "Fighter Squadron" there is a scene during a mission briefing in which the character played by Robert Stack takes out a pen from his pocket, unscrews the cap and writes some information on his hand:

Although the first shot shows a pen with an open nib, the next shot shows what is surely a P51:

I used to write destination Tower and Ground Control frequencies on my hand too. On top like that too. Underneath gets sweaty and rubbed off.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Watching "Maigret" DVD (BBC series in 1992-93, and on Masterpiece Mystery series later) and several fountain pens were on display. Have no idea what brand they are but enjoyed seeing them againnonetheless. Series was set in the 1930's (or thereabouts) France I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

During the first few minutes of the episode "The Dying Minutes" of SyFy's series "Continuum", the character Alec Sadler writes down some GPS coordinates with a golden FP:

fpn_1403473257__continuum2.jpg

No idea what it was. Sheaffer maybe?

Edited by carlos.q

For the doctors, Talley/O'Connor uses a Montblanc 146 when examining the nerves of the hands in their Clinical Examinations book

During the first few minutes of the episode "The Dying Minutes" of SyFy's series "Continuum", the character Alec Sadler writes down some GPS coordinates with a golden FP:

No idea what it was. Sheaffer maybe?

To my eye the section , nib ,and feed remind me of the Sheaffer Prelude in the fluted all gold plated version..sans cap..of course.

Fred

In the season premiere of BBC's "Orphan Black", the creepy Dr. Nealon uses a FP in two different scenes. Looks like a Cross to me:

fpn_1403617003__orphan2.jpg

That Continuum pen might be a Sheaffer 300-- I think I see the cap-holding bulge around the tail. I'd support the Orphan Black pen being a Cross-- it looks mightily like an Aventura (which means the creepy doctor is not spending very much money on his pen):

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Cross-0436.jpg

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

In the 2013 film Mr. Nobody, Nemo Nobody (played by Jared Leto) writes a love letter with a fountain pen in a flashback scene set in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

There are a few MB"s poking around in Valkerie (with Tom Cruise). I hate the actor, but I loved the movie.

Agreed. A friend dragged me to see War of the Worlds, and I cheered for the Martians.

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

I saw an episode of Penny Dreadful recently and wondered what fountain pen Timothy Dalton was using. It looked too modern for the time period in which the show takes place, but I could be mistaken.

During the 1947 french film drama "Les Maudits" (The damned) the french collaborator Couturier uses a FP in various scenes, but it is difficult to say what make or model:

fpn_1403809236__lesmaudites.jpg

Daniel Craig, in "Flashbacks of a Fool", writes the life-changing note to his old flame with a Montblanc 144.

It was a promising film poorly edited--too slow. But Roxy Music's "If There Is Something," which plays while he writes the letter blew my mind. If there is a God, he probably listens to it on vinyl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHwuF3oD30

post-107799-0-70385900-1403823969.jpg

In the movie 'The Gray' 2011, when Liam writes the letter, isn't that a FP?

Yes, I just watched it today however I couldn't tell what brand it is. It is a very modern style.

From Antonioni's Story of a Love Affair

I think it's a black Parker Vacumatic? I was surprised to see an American pen in an Italian film.

http://i.imgur.com/km3lJJM.png

I spotted an MB-lookalike or FP of indeterminate origin in the 1993 Mexican vampire horror film CRONOS directed by Guillermo del Toro on the writing desk of an antiques dealer in the first 15 minutes or so of the movie.

fpn_1404324538__foto.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

During a recent BBC interview, Afghan president Karzai uses a Pelikan Souveran to sign some papers. M800 perhaps?

fpn_1405769430__pelikan.jpg

Edited by carlos.q

Just recently I watched a Korean drama called "Heirs", and one of the main characters was using an FP to do his homework and write in his journal. I was so surprised and pleased to see that!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!