Parker Vacumatic Vs Parker 51

FOX

VACUMATIC vs 51  

114 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only have ONE, which one would you want?

• Parker VACUMATIC (celluloid, exposed nib)
    • Parker 51 (lucite, hooded nib)

These are both great pens, but I no longer have Vacumatics and only one P51 vac. The P51 aerometrics are just too sweet and are usually repair free almost indefinitely. Virtually every other pen I have had has needed repair, even if gently used. The vacs will need sac replacement after a number of years, and there is a cost. All those aerometrics that haven't worn out have allowed me to avoid those costs. Some of those pens are as old as or older than I am.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOX

• pajaro

• sumgaikid

• ps4ever

The 51 is an efficient, precise, reliable instrument. The Vac is finicky to fill, but has subtlety of design and artistry that's missing for me with it's more modern cousin. It has more soul.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

They both have their lovely attributes. Vacs are much prettier but 51's are sturdier and better suited to daily use in a world of ballpoints. As others have said, I'd be really sad the minute I had to pick one over the other.

And after reading this, I check the poll and it was 11 to 11 tie! :P

OK, I get it. Each has it's advantages, in different directions.

I may end up eventually getting at least one of each. :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks so much to all of you!

I like the celluloid of the Vac, but the 51 is a hooded nib & I adore hooded nibs.

I have occasionaly wondered what a vac is like, but never strongly enough to get one. For an open nibbed pen I prefer the shape of the 1920's Duofolds, but have been willing to invest in a modern one as I can't seem to get an old one.

Regards,

Richard.

I cannot really say.

My Aerometric 51's are reliable, durable users (compared my experience with either the Vacumatic or Vacumatic filler 51's). But i also enjoy using my Vacumatics. Two of the few pens I actually "display" but do not use, are Vacumatics. One a desk pen in it's stand, and the other FP/pencil set in their original case. Vacumatics are lovely.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• 6 months later...

I have 5 Vacumatics and 4 Parker 51s. An insignificant number compared to many collectors, however enough for me to form an opinion.

The P51 is a great pen which I use a lot but I prefer the style of the Vacumatic. I find the nib characteristics vary more with the Vacumatic than they do with my P51s. I am luckily enough to have two Vacumatics with fantastic flexible nibs. They are simply superb, in a completely different class to the P51 nib. I also like being able to hold the Vacumatics up to the light to see how much ink it left in the pen.

As an aside, I think the Parker 61 has a slightly better nib than the P51 and might be a better pen (but not the first version with the capillary filling system)

I know this thread is old, but since I am just now getting into vacs after my first foray in to 51s I am reading all the posts in this thread. Fascinating. Although I think that the capillary filling system is great for certain purposes and sets itself apart from other pens. Its kind of historic engineering wise. Great to take on flights, and can write upside down. Agreed the P61 is a great pen, I just wish they made it out of lucite too, they are so delicate. Wish I had more than one. If you have any for sale...

Waiting another few weeks to get my first Vacs,then I will post my opinion. I have nothing but the highest regard for the P51 as an engineering marvel and success as a daily writer, it was my first vintage purchase, and I couldnt have been happier. My small collection consists of Sheaffer inlaid nib pens of all sorts (Legacies, Triumphs, Imperials), parker 61 capillary, Parker 75, Parker 95, and a Cross Verve. Most have their place for certain circumstances. The Parker 51s, while not the prettiest, are by far the most joyous to write with under the widest conditions for me.

You never posted your reviews after getting your first pen. Which one(s) did you get? Regards, Nimesh

Merely my $0.02 worth...

As with some things, I don't need to choose between the two, and value them equally for their respective merits. IMO, a 51 is somewhat more functional and better suited to a beginning writer. I have a half-dozen 51s, including my father's pen (won't be letting that otherwise distinctly average 51 go - ever) and a Windowpane 51, which was initialled by a previous owner. Whether karma, coincidence or whatever, my initials are on it... when I saw it on Dr I's website, I knew I had to have it. :D It travels with me a lot.

A Vac requires more user care, but the range of nibs, colors and variety is greater. I have upwards of 100 Vacs, of which five pen/pencil sets are on my office desk, with silver, red, green, gold, and black inks. Makes editing student papers much more interesting ;) I have some Vacs that are safe queens, but more often than not, the pen I'm holding is a Vac. I like the ergonomics of Sr Maxs, but there's a '37 Burgundy stub with a fabulous nib in the desk penholder now; that is, when the crafty Duofold Lapis Jr hasn't sneaked in there. *sigh*

Edited by 42N8TT

I have a pair of vac-filler 51s, but I'd like to get a Vacumatic too.

Both the 51 and the Vacumatic can be very handsome pens, but I lean towards exposed nibs, and I really love the look of the striped celluloid on the Vacumatic.

I would suggest that you obtain at least one of each and decide for yourself. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. My collection has a strong representation of both of these fine pens. As a matter of fact there is one of each in my pocket right now as I type this.

Being purely subjective, as I suppose such things are by their nature, I simply prefer an open nib. So, it's the Vac for me.

A proud member of the

fpn_1302698674__lillogo.gif Steel City Nibs

Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club!

--Look for us in the Clubs, Meetings and Events forum--

Coming back to this poll,what are you going to do about the Vac

Imperial? It is,in a sense,a combination of both worlds--the aesthetic

styling of Vac celluloid with the type of metal cap seen on the 51.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Tough call...I'd say the "51" out of personal preference, but the Vacumatic is certainly a lighter pen that makes for easier writing & comes in (arguably) prettier colors. At the end of the day though, I'll be voting with my wallet...by getting BOTH! :thumbup:

Another no vote, I'm too conflicted.

The problem is that each is a great pen, a true gem for its type and the best of its breed. But they are very different types and styles with more important differences than similarities. While they share the iconic Parker Arrow clip and a brief overlap of the vacumatic filler, they are basically different kinds of pens: transparent striped celluloid barrel vs. solid color plastic barrel, open nib vs. hooded nib, matching cap vs. metal cap, art-deco inspired elegance vs. mid-century classic simplicity, vacumatic vs. aerometric fillers, etc.

You can love both or only one of them, just like blondes and/or brunettes, hamburgers and/or hot dogs, cabernet and/or pinot noir, etc. You get the point. Why should I have to choose? (assuming that I can afford one of each)

As other posters have noted, it often comes down to one's preference for the functional reliability of the 51 vs. the aesthetics of the Vacumatic. The Vacumatic reminds me of a quote from another FPN-er: "My fountain pen is a beloved inconvenience." My guess is that few of those who prefer the 51 would say that.

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." -Mark Twain, Following The Equator

• 5 years later...

A number of desirable Parker and Sheaffer vintage pens have pass through my possession, but that was because I was interested in experiencing different landmark models from these two iconic American pen companies. Ultimately, I chose to keep only three pens: a third generation emerald green Vacumatic major from 1946, a teal 51 aerometric made in 1951, and a black 61 Legacy from 1957 or '58. Of the three, if I was told that I had no choice but to give up two or give up all three, I would keep the 51, because the 51 might very well still be working in a thousand years without any work being done to it, while the 61 will deteriorate and the Vac will ultimately need to be repaired and could die on the table through some mishap (always the danger when you go in to repair anything, particularly a plastic pen over 70 years old). The 61 is my favorite, and the Vac is beautiful and works magnificently, but it would have to be the practical: the aero 51 is still the best overall pen. It just always comes down to that.

Vacumatics, 51 vac and 51 aero all are extremely good pens. Elagace, quality and durability are the halmarks of these pens. Given the chance, one should buy all three. However I find the 51 aero easy to service. In most cases one just needs to thoroughly clean the pen and it is ready to go.

Khan M. Ilyas

Old thread.

I refuse to vote.

I like and use all 3; Vacumatic, 51-vac, 51-aero.

If you simply want ease of maintenance, and not having to restore a pen you buy, then the 51-aero would be the pen. The pli-glass ink sac have an amazing lifespan.

But the restoration and replacement of the Vac diaphram is not expensive, and you are good for another 10-15 years.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If the premise is to only have one pen, and the choice is between the Vacumatic and the Parker 51, then my choice will always be the Parker 51 Aero, simply because I know it has worked decades before I was born, and will probably work many years after I am dead.

However, isn't the whole reason we are neurotically obsessed with pens that "one cannot have only a single pen"? Why not have both the Vacumatic and the Parker 51? Why not have several of each? :D

If the premise is to only have one pen, and the choice is between the Vacumatic and the Parker 51, then my choice will always be the Parker 51 Aero, simply because I know it has worked decades before I was born, and will probably work many years after I am dead.

However, isn't the whole reason we are neurotically obsessed with pens that "one cannot have only a single pen"? Why not have both the Vacumatic and the Parker 51? Why not have several of each? :D

+1 on this. My favorite pen is probably my 1949 Demi Aero Plum. It's user grade, but just need flushing out when I got it.

OTOH, I now have several 51s (both Aeros and Vac fillers), and 5 Vacumatics. And I have to say that the the Vac Junior Red Shadow Wave has been in constant rotation since I got it. And that was last August. Although part of that is because I don't swap inks in it: it's had nothing but Waterman's Mysterious Blue in it since I had it checked out, the morning after I got it. The Plummer has had a variety of inks in it (currently sporting Iroshihzuku Ama-Iro, but before that it ran with Noodler's Purple Heart for a while).

If you're going to throw 61s into the mix, I have a couple with the capillary filler. And ran one of those with J Herbin for several months last year with J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, and then maybe another month to six weeks diluting the ink with distilled water (flushing it just enough to start running color again).

Probably the most accurate way to test to see which of the three of them is best would be a side by side comparison -- same ink, same paper. But that's sort of boring (life is too short to only use one color of ink unless you're doing a Sandy1 style super comprehensive ink review... :rolleyes:). And the Plummer and the 61 both have M nibs (well, I think so -- on the Plummer it *might* be an F/M), whereas the Red Shadow Wave is an F or possibly even an EF).

If push came to actual shove, the Shadow Wave is prettier, and the 61 is the most "fun". But I guess I'd still have to pick the 51. Or maybe I'll just plead the 5th and refuse to vote....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."