Parker Vacumatic Vs Parker 51

FOX

VACUMATIC vs 51  

114 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only have ONE, which one would you want?

• Parker VACUMATIC (celluloid, exposed nib)
    • Parker 51 (lucite, hooded nib)

It didn't take long to read through the forums here and hear more raving about the "Parker 51" than any other, and how it was "the most popular pen ever made"

But then, while doing research on this pen, I found out about it's predecessor, the "Vacumatic" which some sources say is more popular with collectors.

Depending on where you look, one is considered better than the other, and vice versa, as can be seen just in these two examples...

THE PARKER "51" is considered by most collectors to be the best pen ever made.

Quote from: http://www.parker51.com/

The Parker Vacumatic is one of the most avidly collected of all vintage pens.

Quote from: http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/parker.vacumatic.html

From what I have been researching, the Vacumatic came first and was made of celluloid, and then came the "Parker 51" which was made of Lucite.

Here's a brief recap of what I found:

The Parker Vacumatic was launched in 1933 and remained Parker’s top-of-the-line product until the launch of the 51 in 1941, but remained in production until 1953.

The "Parker 51" was introduced in 1951, stayed in production until 1972, and the most significant design change was in 1948 with the introduction of the Aerometric filling system.

First off, I got both those bits of information from Wikipedia, and they contradict each other, because one says the 51 was launched in 1941, and then that it was introduced in 1951. :hmm1:

Now it would make sense that it would be 1951, because it is called the "51" and not the "41" but then the same source gives THIS the reason for it being called the "51":

The pen and the ink were both named "51" to mark 1939, the company's 51st year of existence, during which development was completed (U.S. design patent No. 116,097)

Who commemorates a company's 51st year of existence? I can understand 50th. :glare:

Also, I keep seeing people referring to "Parker 51 Vacumatic" pens. :headsmack:

Is this a third type of pen, or (from the info quoted above) are the pre-1948 51's considered Vacumatics and those after considered "Aerometrics"?

Hey, I am trying to look up and do the research myself, but when I get conflicting information like this, then it's time to start asking questions here to try and clear this up and get to the facts.

But the real thing I am curious about from all of you here with a bit of experience in both these pens...

If you could only have one, would you rather have a "Parker Vacumatic", or a "Parker 51" ?

Which one do you feel writes better for you? Why do you prefer one over the other?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOX

• pajaro

• sumgaikid

• ps4ever

Boy, that's a tough one... I've never had a vacumatic so I'm voting for the "51". Also the "51" is just so reliable and perfect. Either pen is great though.

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I wonder if your poll wouldn't benefit from adding the distinction between the "51" Vac filler series and the "51" Aero series. Although I voted for the "51", it has a lot to do with the Aerometric filler; even though I think the overall look of the "51" is itself quite appealing (this in no way means that I think the Vacumatics are any less easy on the eyes). The earlier "51"s shared much of the same basic filler technology of the earlier Vacumatics. Granted, the hooded nib and the Collector were, among other things, significant differences from the Vacumatics, I think a fair case can be made that the Aerometric filler system was a unique departure in itself.

Also, I keep seeing people referring to "Parker 51 Vacumatic" pens. :headsmack:

Is this a third type of pen, or (from the info quoted above) are the pre-1948 51's considered Vacumatics and those after considered "Aerometrics"?

There were two different filling systems used in the vintage P51s, Vacumatic (like in the early "Vacumatic" models where you push a plunger) and Aerometric (looks like a squeeze converter).

I like the looks of Vacumatics more.

I am less afraid of my son getting ahold of a "51".

It's easier (slightly) to flush out a Vacumatic.

It's easier to get ink of out a Herbin bottle with a "51", especially an Aero.

I don't believe I'll choose. Actually, now that I've got a VS, I can straddle that fence quite nicely in deeds as well as thoughts.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I wonder if your poll wouldn't benefit from adding the distinction between the "51" Vac filler series and the "51" Aero series. Although I voted for the "51", it has a lot to do with the Aerometric filler;

While I see your point in that, it is also because of this...

even though I think the overall look of the "51" is itself quite appealing (this in no way means that I think the Vacumatics are any less easy on the eyes).

..that I wonder if I should just leave it as is. Because it's not really me wanting to know which of the 51's people like better, but either version over the Vacumatic.

But it is helpful that you mentioned here WHY you voted for the 51, and that it was a lot to do with the Aerometric filler. So thanks for that additional information which is very helpful to me. :thumbup:

The earlier "51"s shared much of the same basic filler technology of the earlier Vacumatics. Granted, the hooded nib and the Collector were, among other things, significant differences from the Vacumatics, I think a fair case can be made that the Aerometric filler system was a unique departure in itself.

So then let me ask you this...

If the Aerometric didn't exist, and you had to choose between the Vacumatic and 51 with the same filler technology, then which one would you go with? ;)

And was there really any writing difference with the nibs, other than one being hooded?

There were two different filling systems used in the vintage P51s, Vacumatic (like in the early "Vacumatic" models where you push a plunger) and Aerometric (looks like a squeeze converter).

Thank you sir!

I like the looks of Vacumatics more.

I am less afraid of my son getting ahold of a "51".

It's easier (slightly) to flush out a Vacumatic.

It's easier to get ink of out a Herbin bottle with a "51", especially an Aero.

I don't believe I'll choose.

I see your point. Each has it's own advantages.

How about if putting aside the differences in asthetics and durability, do you find writing with one better for you than the other, or are the nibs similar?

(everyone else here, keep letting me know if it is the asthetics and/or durability, or anything else, that you prefer one over the other, or if you have and like both equally, and can't decide, then let me know that here too.)

Actually, now that I've got a VS, I can straddle that fence quite nicely in deeds as well as thoughts.

Now I will have to go and look up what a "VS" is. :glare: I have a feeling that in the end, not only will I end up having to get a Vacumatic AND a 51, but probably a VS too if I find out it is something else I might like. :P

Thanks for your responses and taking the time to help me out!

If you have read the information on those web sites, you should have enough information to answer your questions.

Well, go ahead and stir the pot some more.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The biggest advantage of the 51 over the Vacumatic was that it could use the new fast drying ink. Aesthetically, the Vacumatic is the prettier in my opinion.

To answer a couple of your questions--

1) The 1st reason that the "51" was named the "51" was in honor of the pen company's 51st anniversary ; and

2) Kenneth Parker wanted a name that wouldn't draw attention away from its primary trademark(Parker). He

was also ambitious enough that he wanted to market the pen worldwide and wanted something that would

translate very easily in different languages.

BTW,my choice between the two would be the Vacumatic. I prefer the look of an all-celluloid pen with minor

touches of furniture than one with a metal cap. Never been that crazy about metal-capped pens.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

The biggest advantage of the 51 over the Vacumatic was that it could use the new fast drying ink. Aesthetically, the Vacumatic is the prettier in my opinion.

Interesting. Does this mean if I get a Vacumatic, I have to be careful to only use certain inks for it?

Interesting. Does this mean if I get a Vacumatic, I have to be careful to only use certain inks for it?

Probably not, although I will leave the more knowledgeable ink people here weigh in.

The "ink issue" related to the "51" development had to do more with the then new formulation of Quink that tended to be pretty corrosive on most of the rubber or celluoid barrels from that era. The non-corrosive nature of Lucite was a major factor as to why Parker chose it for its new pen. Over time, the ink has itself been re-formulated such that the current Quink is considered to be a pretty benign ink.

All said, given that pretty much any Vac you buy is vintage, a good soak and flush before you try any ink is "safety first".

i have about 75 "pure" or pre-51 vacumatics, maybe 5 vac 51s, and the same number of post-vac 51s. so i guess that's my answer to your question.

from a collector's point of view (at least this one's), the range of vac models (size, color, style, nibs) recommends it more than the 51; of course the 51 has many nuances as well in terms of barrel colors, cap designs, and filling systems. i guess it comes down to a personal preference (again, at least in my case) for open vs. hooded nibs, and for the lustrous colors of the vac barrels. the 51 is classic simplicity; the vac has a more romantic touch to it.

Check out my blog and my pens

What do you want to do with the pen?

If you want to write with it, the I recommend a 51. Reliable, durable and a fantastic writer.

If you want to collect it, then buy one (or more) Vacumatics. There are many more models available, but it looks somewhat dated. I have 12 Vacs and most of them are really wet writers, so I normally do not use them. Flow adjustment can be problematic at times.

By the way, the "51" name is due to the company 51st anniversary. Its development was completed in 1939, in the 51st anniversary as it was founded in 1888.

What do you want to do with the pen?

If you want to write with it, the I recommend a 51. Reliable, durable and a fantastic writer.

If you want to collect it, then buy one (or more) Vacumatics. There are many more models available, but it looks somewhat dated. I have 12 Vacs and most of them are really wet writers, so I normally do not use them. Flow adjustment can be problematic at times.

I most definitely want it to write with. And if there is that much difference between them in actual use, then I probably will go for a 51 first. Thanks.

By the way, the "51" name is due to the company 51st anniversary. Its development was completed in 1939, in the 51st anniversary as it was founded in 1888.

See my reply to this in the original post. ;)

I have 5 Vacumatics and 4 Parker 51s. An insignificant number compared to many collectors, however enough for me to form an opinion.

The P51 is a great pen which I use a lot but I prefer the style of the Vacumatic. I find the nib characteristics vary more with the Vacumatic than they do with my P51s. I am luckily enough to have two Vacumatics with fantastic flexible nibs. They are simply superb, in a completely different class to the P51 nib. I also like being able to hold the Vacumatics up to the light to see how much ink it left in the pen.

As an aside, I think the Parker 61 has a slightly better nib than the P51 and might be a better pen (but not the first version with the capillary filling system)

I find the nib characteristics vary more with the Vacumatic than they do with my P51s. I am luckily enough to have two Vacumatics with fantastic flexible nibs. They are simply superb, in a completely different class to the P51 nib.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the nib differences.

I also like being able to hold the Vacumatics up to the light to see how much ink it left in the pen.

I have read about this, but only seen a crude drawing of how the ink can be seen through it. I look forward to one day being able to finally see one of these pens up close and in person.

As an aside, I think the Parker 61 has a slightly better nib than the P51 and might be a better pen (but not the first version with the capillary filling system)

Thanks, good to know. I will have to look and read up on the 61 too.

I have around 20 51 and no one single Vacumatic, so.....

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I would hate to have to have/keep only one.

However, if that were the case, it would be the 51, since I find the Flighter to be more attractive than any of the colors of Vac (with the possible exception of Golden Web.)

Also, the Flighter (since it is an aero-fill model) is very low maintenance.

If I could keep one of each, that would be better. ;)

Then, the flighter, and my black Vac Senior Maxima.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

My two favorite pens- how could you do this!? Judging by sheer numbers here in my apartment it would appear the 51's win (40 to 20-some), but somehow the glow of richly polished celluloid tips the scales back to even.

They both have their lovely attributes. Vacs are much prettier but 51's are sturdier and better suited to daily use in a world of ballpoints. As others have said, I'd be really sad the minute I had to pick one over the other. :gaah: No vote here, sorry!

Edited by farmersmums
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...