The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Oversized Wahl Eversharp Informations Required >>

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JeanB

JeanB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:57

Hello,

I received this pen last week, after a purchase on the Bay.
It has the size and proportions of a PP Decoband Senior, does not have the double check, does have a much smaller Wahl nib than the regular Decoband nib, stamped "signature"
It looks as an "affordable" decoband. I do not remember having seen such a pen in ads or books. I think David Nishimura had one, woodgrain, for sale on his site last year...Would someone have more infos ? Thanks for your help !

NB: A Doric for size comparison; The Doric is an "oversized stub" (5.5 in) i.e. same diameter and nib than the regular 5 7/8 oversized Doric 1st series, but shorter (144 mm... not a small pen !)

Edited by JeanB, 13 September 2010 - 20:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 ljwahl

ljwahl

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 23:21

I'd guess it's just an earlier production? Styling is hard-rubber era, material is not...

#3 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:32

Thats a 1926 signature (pre-personal point) pen. I've seen them in almost all the colors of the personal points. I don't know the whole code, but there's a 74 in it - 7 for the length of the pen, and 4 for the nib size.

They only had one year before they launched the gold seal in 1927 (and the deco band).

#4 simp

simp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:35

Thats a 1926 signature (pre-personal point) pen. I've seen them in almost all the colors of the personal points. I don't know the whole code, but there's a 74 in it - 7 for the length of the pen, and 4 for the nib size.

They only had one year before they launched the gold seal in 1927 (and the deco band).

In 1927?
I thinked, as reported here:
http://www.pensburym..._Flat_Tops.html
that it was 1928.

I don't have first hand information (living in Italy) but I'd like having a correct date ...

Regards
Simone
Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it
Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)
Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

#5 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 933 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:47

David Nishimura has it late '29. I've got a '25 catalogue, and I thought I had a 27 (although I can't find it now),

I would be inclined to go with Syd if I had to choose. However, I feel my odds would be much much better if I settled on "late 20's"

#6 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 16:11

Boy, that's an old entry! I'll have to update it, but I think 1929 (not necessarily "late") is still probably correct. I'm guessing Syd is working from the Gold Seal's appearance in Wahl's 1929 catalog (it doesn't appear in the 1928), and is assuming that production started prior to the actual nominal first model year.

I'd still go with 1929 as the year of the Gold Seal's introduction, though, barring some further evidence. I also just checked Google Books for "Gold Seal" and "Wahl", and I don't find any advertisements predating 1929.

#7 simp

simp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 16:38

David Nishimura has it late '29. I've got a '25 catalogue, and I thought I had a 27 (although I can't find it now),

I would be inclined to go with Syd if I had to choose. However, I feel my odds would be much much better if I settled on "late 20's"

I agree, late 20's is totally correct, but I've an obsession for years because of my chronology, so if we can have a more precise indication I would be nice.

Regards
Simone

#8 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:19

Quick Note:

First Gold Seal Magazine AdI have is November 10, 1928 in the Saturday Evening Post. Back in those days it was near sacrilegious to advertise for Xmas before Thanksgiving. While the 11/10/28 ad was not about Xmas, it was cler ittime to go "big time" with color ads as opposed to the newspapers alone. But that ad may not have been the first.

The Gold Seals were announced to Wahl-Eversharp Dealers in June or July of 1928. The Summer edition of "EVERSALES" the Wahl-Eversharp dealers newsletter announced the Gold Seals and included the Fall advertising schedule starting August 14th and listed the newspapers the ads would run in. Dealers were encouraged to order their stock of Gold Seal pens in time for the ads. So they were in stores by August or September 1928. So production was in full swing by the Summer of 1928. If desired I can scan the EVERSALES article. The cover of the newsletter shown Gold Seal Deco Bands in Black and Pearl, Jade and Coral as well as Black chased Hard rubber. By tNovember 1928, the EVERSALES states that the Black and Pearl Gold Seals had taken the country by storm. BTW the only gold seals referenced in these blurbs were the OS Deco Bands, so they appear to be the first gold seals out. The smaller sizes were out by 1929...maybe the tail end of 1928.

I can post the material if that is necessary to "make the case", but maybe just the citing of the data will suffice for now.
Syd
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#9 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 14:55

That's great, Syd. As long as the primary sources are clearly cited, there's really no need to post them -- especially where there's no concern about ambiguity or interpretation of their contents.

#10 simp

simp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 19:37

I can post the material if that is necessary to "make the case", but maybe just the citing of the data will suffice for now.
Syd

It's absolutely sufficient for me, and I'll add a reference to this thread.

Regards
Simone

#11 simp

simp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 18:43

That's great, Syd. As long as the primary sources are clearly cited, there's really no need to post them -- especially where there's no concern about ambiguity or interpretation of their contents.

I was quite lazy for not searching in my ADs gallery, realizing just now that I already published some 1928 Deco Band ads:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(a full scan at 200 dpi resolution is available in their own pages, reachable from here).

Simone

Sponsored Content

|