Namste From India

Abhi

Hi,

I am Abhi From India

New to this forum ,I am very fond of pens specially fountain pens

from child hood i am collecting pens i have about 300 pen in my collection

but not like these very expensive pens discussed here.

i have pens starting from 1 Rupee to 1000 Rupees (1$=46 Rupees)

the thing i see is every pen should be different in some way.like Made from Bamboo,Sandal Wood, Marabel ,With Watch,Calendar

or old style fountain pen,with art work on it,gold plated ,silver pen and so many more

Now the topic is That i Want to add some International quality Fountain Pen in my collection

But the problem is that it should be Under $100

so please suggest me some good fountain pen to enrich my collection

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abhi

• hari317

• Legrosbisson

• Wolverine1

Greetings and :W2FPN: Abhi! There's lots of information on this forum and you'll hear alot of suggestions. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

from child hood i am collecting pens i have about 300 pen in my collection

but not like these very expensive pens discussed here.

i have pens starting from 1 Rupee to 1000 Rupees (1$=46 Rupees)

the thing i see is every pen should be different in some way.like Made from Bamboo,Sandal Wood, Marabel ,With Watch,Calendar

or old style fountain pen,with art work on it,gold plated ,silver pen and so many more

Welcome to FPN Abhi! :W2FPN:

Do you have Fountain pens made from Sandal wood and Bamboo? wow! Pls share trhe photos whenever you have time.

a good pen under 100USD is the Lamy2000

Best,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

W2FPN.gifWelcome, Members will definitely enable your growing penchant for wonderful writing instruments, inks and paper, but that is not all, be sure your check the CHATTER forum there are many non pen related topics there, such as art, music, education, travels, bicycling, ......

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Hi Abhi :W2FPN:

If you are from Bangalore, Mumbai or Delhi, there is this William Penn shop. Famous for world class pens and men's accessories. You can search the ones for your budget in their website www.williampenn.net

Great to see, you have collected wooden pens also :puddle:

There are two types of fools in the world. Those who give advice and those who do not take it. I propose to belong to first category and I wish you will not belong to the second ;)

:W2FPN:

(a one rupee pen. . . that's like US$.02? I think I may have overpaid for my inexpensive pens.)

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

Namaste! and welcome!

Sandalwood pen! bet it smells divine!

We have a sandalwood pen too but it's not a fountain pen, a ballpoint. Now you have just given me the idea to turn it into a dip pen holder =))))))

Your collection sounds amazing! and cost is irrelevant.... we all know the story of the Emperor's new clothes right?

=P

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

welcome to another fellow indian brother. pls. feel comfortable on this forum to share your views which is usually respected by most members.

best wishes,

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Namaste, Abhi, and :W2FPN: !!! :)

Where in India are you from? I am a desi also, originally from Assam, now in the USA

Welcome to the fountain pen network! It's good to have you here with us!

Some nice international pens? How about Pelikans? Parker "51"? Sheaffer?

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Thank you all for your response

i am very happy to see the the interest shown by all of you in my collection

@Wolverine1- hi i am from indore i work as an independent programmer here.

@mandarintje- my sandal wood pen is also ball point ,i bought it from maysore.i mentioned about all types of pen i have but not all of them are fountain pens.

@Koa - haha ya its true i have pen that costs 1 rupee its a use and throw pen ,in india these types of pen are getting popular now days ,they are just like

a thick ball point refill with a tiny cap on it,easy to handle and with no tension of forgetting them somewhere.

once again i also thank rest of the members who commented here and i am very happy to be here

Edited by Abhi

Hello Abi, I'm also new so I won't try to recommend anything penwise. In any case most people here, as with you, seem to like variety and it is a quest indeed to find the perfect FB.

Where have you found your treasures? Some good lines have been written on the FPN about major Indian FP manufacturers, both current ones and makers of Parker Vacuumatic-like PBs in the 1940s and 1950s, and also the FPN has a great discussion of Mumbai as a place to spend a few days hunting for venerable pens. I'd love to stop in Mumbai just for that reason, let alone all the wonderful architecture.

Where do old FPs go? If you were away from your home town, with nothing else to do for half a day while waiting for a train in another of India's major cities, and you decided to wander around a district rummaging for FPs while stopping also for good snacks, what kind of set establishments would you circle in your free tourist city map when planning this adventure? In Australia, the old idea of a pawnbroker lending against small valuables like jewellery and, I guess, FPs, was revived about 15-20 years ago, as a network of what are really second-hand dealers in various items, sadly, not generally including FPs. Do you have a network of that kind in India where you might go in the hope of finding a bargain FP?

ok

it seems i written something improper here

may be i was over exited after viewing this forum

but every thing i written is true i gave an explanation of 1 rupee pen earlier

i also have all other pens i will post there images soon

and i never bought second hand or stolen pens

i cant find the reason why some people are not believing

the spirit behind every pen collection is the same

although my collection is not very expensive but it is as valuable as any other

:mellow:

Abhi, I think you are mistaking Legrosbisson :) All he meant was how did you manage to collect your treasure of 300 wonderful pens! And how to go about if a person visits India.

If I can answer that, the very first thing to know before doing anything in India is, it is incredible India! A shopping mall might be running out of business, but a street stall might be minting. A richly dressed man might be in debts for lifetime, but a beggar could be millionaire. So with this mindset you can start searching for your treasures.

Sapna Book House is a big book seller and stationer. But they have too less varieties of writing instruments. William Penn is a biiig name. But I can't find there a Camlin SD, a world class Indian pen, although he sells cheapest of Sheaffers and Pelikans. In my opinion, it is good to avoid these big names, (especially when you are hunting).

Instead you might find old FPs in nameless old stationery shops! It was a triple feast for me when I found Ambika, Status and Butterfly (local brand) FPs in a nameless stationery hole (you can't call it a shop, it's wide enough to accommodate just one average human body inside) in Bangalore. I had walked on that pavement not less than 300 times, but hadn't noticed the nook!

In a very similar kind of shop I had found good old wing sung pens.

There are revered dealers also in Bangalore like Dwaraka pens near Malleshwaram circle. A quick search in the net gives a list of Pen shops. But beware, many of them might not have bothered to update their new locations or phone numbers :ltcapd:

Regards,

Yogi

There are two types of fools in the world. Those who give advice and those who do not take it. I propose to belong to first category and I wish you will not belong to the second ;)

Where do old FPs go?

Do you have a network of that kind in India where you might go in the hope of finding a bargain FP?

There is no significant market for used pens in India, in fact, before joining FPN, I was not even aware that people bought pens that have been used by others. FPs were items of personal use and FPs were supposed to have become molded to their original users style, at least that is what I thought then.

Here most of the older folks love to use FPs but generally could not afford the costly, fancy ones, mostly you will find FPs with Steel nibs.

"Foreign" pens were always treasured and seldom used. In fact I was told by an old shopkeeper that a 51 in the 50s was so sought after and in short supply here, that anyone lucky enough to be gifted one(no one "bought" such items for daily use except the really well to do), would immediately lock it inside the safe, I have been lucky to find such mint examples stowed away.

An exhaustive search/trawling is a good way to find pens in the Indian Bazaar. Once you are well known as one who is more likely to buy the pens rather than just see and walk off, shopkeepers will often keep aside special pens for you that they might chance upon. So the pens find you after some time.

Good luck hunting pens!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

"Foreign" pens were always treasured and seldom used. In fact I was told by an old shopkeeper that a 51 in the 50s was so sought after and in short supply here, that anyone lucky enough to be gifted one(no one "bought" such items for daily use except the really well to do), would immediately lock it inside the safe

thats true Hari my uncle who is a writer were gifted a Parker years ago ,he also kept it in safe and never

wrote by it .once i visited his house and he found me writing with my Parker pen then he showed me that very old and classic Parker pen which was never inked

from last 30 years i told him to use it but he never agreed and the pen was in safe again.

one more interesting fountain pen you will see is the big one with transparent tank and if used by munim ji in shops to write the account on there bahi khata .

i have one of those and i am giving the image of it

Edited by Abhi