The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Delightful Lanbitou Mini Pen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 18:39

A while back I was searching for a thin pen that would fit the pen-hoop in my wallet. I wanted something sturdy and inexpensive as it was to be a daily carry-about. I found 2 excellent candidates, reviewed here by my friend Bluemagister. Both the Hero 266 and the Yongsheng 533 fit the bill and I've been carrying the 533 every day since it arrived.

Later, I happened upon a thread where the the originator was seeking a small pen. I replied with the link above but then clicked on another's recommendation and could not resist the low price for this tiny Lanbitou Pocket Pen (I've seen it also described as "missle")and bought a few.

It's a fine writer, very smooth for an inexpensive pen. It doesn't hold much ink, of course. It feels very sturdy and is surprisingly long and comfortable to write with when posted. The body is very smooth and the section has etched ridges to guide your fingers, allowing you to grip properly without trouble.

I filled it with MB Oyster Gray and it worked fine for about a week before my Son-in-Law suggested it would be a wonderful pen for him. So my first Lanbitou has been happily gifted. I filled the next with a 50/50 mix of Noodler's black and water and it's performing very well. The fine nib allows me to write without bleed-through even on cheap copy paper.

It appears you can by a similar (or same) Jinhao-branded or "Yiren" pen in a variety of colors.

The Lanbitou Pocket Pen is a delightful little pen and I would not hesitate to recommend one--heck, at this price why not two?.

In the image below I've put it beside some other pens to help you form a good idea of the Lanbitou's diminutive size: A Pilot VP, Lanbitou posted, Lanbitou capped, Lanbitou un-capped, followed by a YongSheng 533, a Hero 266, an FPN-favorte Hero 616, and a TWSBI.

Posted Image

Edited by mrloco, 11 September 2010 - 18:43.

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

Sponsored Content

#2 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:37

As a follow-up I've been using the Lanbitou regularly since this post and it's been starting up first time every time. Very reliable writer, which is far more important for the pen I carry than the ones I keep at my desk as the latter can be dipped in water and fussed with if they are slow to start when called upon.

#3 riff raff

riff raff

It's astounding...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:22

Nice pen (I have the red & black Jinhao model).

Even nicer ruler! What with the Linux mention and all. :thumbup:
-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

#4 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:07

Thanks! I'm a Linux geek from wayback--since early '90s. One of my fondest memories is the day Red Hat went public.

#5 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:11

Thank you for the review! I've been eying the Jinhao missile for a long time now but the filling mechanism has me hesitating. I wish it were cartridge/converter.

#6 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:55

What is the filling mechanism for the Lanbitou?

#7 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:31

I think it's like the Jinhao's, the squeeze type.

#8 Demonstrative Pen Collector

Demonstrative Pen Collector

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 13:19

A while back I was searching for a thin pen that would fit the pen-hoop in my wallet. I wanted something sturdy and inexpensive as it was to be a daily carry-about. I found 2 excellent candidates, reviewed here by my friend Bluemagister. Both the Hero 266 and the Yongsheng 533 fit the bill and I've been carrying the 533 every day since it arrived.

Later, I happened upon a thread where the the originator was seeking a small pen. I replied with the link above but then clicked on another's recommendation and could not resist the low price for this tiny Lanbitou Pocket Pen (I've seen it also described as "missle")and bought a few.

It's a fine writer, very smooth for an inexpensive pen. It doesn't hold much ink, of course. It feels very sturdy and is surprisingly long and comfortable to write with when posted. The body is very smooth and the section has etched ridges to guide your fingers, allowing you to grip properly without trouble.

I filled it with MB Oyster Gray and it worked fine for about a week before my Son-in-Law suggested it would be a wonderful pen for him. So my first Lanbitou has been happily gifted. I filled the next with a 50/50 mix of Noodler's black and water and it's performing very well. The fine nib allows me to write without bleed-through even on cheap copy paper.

It appears you can by a similar (or same) Jinhao-branded or "Yiren" pen in a variety of colors.

The Lanbitou Pocket Pen is a delightful little pen and I would not hesitate to recommend one--heck, at this price why not two?.

In the image below I've put it beside some other pens to help you form a good idea of the Lanbitou's diminutive size: A Pilot VP, Lanbitou posted, Lanbitou capped, Lanbitou un-capped, followed by a YongSheng 533, a Hero 266, an FPN-favorte Hero 616, and a TWSBI.

Posted Image

Hi.
What Demo is that?
Never seen the model before
Thanks

#9 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 15:02

What Demo is that?
Never seen the model before
Thanks

TWSBI Diamond 530.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#10 Justy

Justy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:11

I understand that such a small pen wouldn't hold as much ink as a full size pen, but what does this mean in terms of usage. Are you needing to refill it at the end of each day; or do you get a few days to a week of use before the pen needs to be refilled?

I'm incredibly new to FPs, only have a Lamy Safari so far and haven't worked my way through the first converterful of ink yet. So I'm still getting a feel for how long ink might last between fills.

#11 mrloco

mrloco

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 19:55

Good question. I don't write page-after-page with this pen. It's mostly filling the little 3.5x5 pages in my wallet (seen in my pic to the left). I've not run out of ink with it yet but top it off 2 or 3 times a week, just so I don't go dry when I'm out and about. I'm guessing the ink capacity in this little pen is 1/3 what you'd get from a Safari converter.

#12 Justy

Justy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:49

Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered one from eBay; it sounds like a handy pen to have around.

#13 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 854 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:06

The Yong Sheng 533 is one of the most powerful fountain pens around and it writes as well as my $100 Waterman Charleston. I love it and keep it full of Hero Blue Black.

This pen looks like a must have, too!

#14 Astrea

Astrea

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 16:49

I carry the Jinhao Missile with me as a pocket pen- starts up every time and writes like a charm. Crazy deal for $2-3 and free shipping too :thumbup:

The filling mechanism does bother me though, I can never really tell when it's full.

#15 ArPharazon

ArPharazon

King of Men

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 22:36

Cool little pen. Almost looks like an FP version of the venerable Fisher Space Pen.

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant
that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

#16 EdwardMarlowe

EdwardMarlowe

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 00:25

Cool little pen. Almost looks like an FP version of the venerable Fisher Space Pen.

That was my first thought too. On the basis of a review here, I ordered a set of ten on eBay. I've only inked two so far, but very pleased with those. The only pen I've ever used posted.

Sponsored Content

|