The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Pens Did/do Famous Writers Use?

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 21:44

Colette's first FP looks to me like a safety because of the relatively small nib and it seems at the end is a small cap. The second FP looks to me like a lever filler.

Yes it seems that safety pens were very popular in France, they keep turniing up over there.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Sponsored Content

#122 jebib111

jebib111

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 00:25

Tony Kushner's gave a lecture on Angels in America at the University of Toledo many, many moons ago.  I know for a fact at that time he used a Pelikan 300 because he signed one of his books for me.  He also said that he really liked Pelikans too!

#123 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 830 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:30

Any one know what pens famous writers used? You always hear of Mark Twain and Conklins, but what about Joyce, Kerouac, Yeats, Nabokov, Mann, Hemingway or any number of greats. Kind of a real Writers Edition list.

Kerouac banged out On The Road on a Hermes typewriter..continuous roll of paper which he taped together. I'd be curious to know which pens he used, if any..I wonder are some writers pen-users and others typewriter users, as in 2 different camps?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail

#124 Gorpy

Gorpy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:49

According to Conklin, Mark Twain used a Conklin crescent-filler pen and loved it. Probably true that he used one and liked it, but I think he might have been paid to say that.

#125 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• All Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:49

Mary Wiggins used a fountain pen... she will always be famous to me!

#126 bjh13

bjh13

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:43

Michael Moorcock is fan of Sheaffer, but as of 2005 was using a Waterman with the finest nib he could find so he could use it in small Moleskine books.  He mentioned a few years ago that he kept forgetting to take them out of his shirt pocket when he would fly and because of this all of his jackets inner linings were stained with ink.

#127 I.M.

I.M.

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 15:53

... He mentioned a few years ago that he kept forgetting to take them out of his shirt pocket when he would fly and because of this all of his jackets inner linings were stained with ink.

Maybe he should try putting them in with the cap facing up! (And to be extra safe, his seat in the upright position :D )

#128 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:20

Yoon Ha Lee author of Ninefox Gambit wrote a draft of her novel with fountain pen (Webster Four-Star with an extra-fine nib and a Waterman 52V). 

#129 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2017 - 23:27

Oliver Sacks used a Montblanc.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#130 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:32

Tom Stoppard and Anthony Horowitz use Caaran d'Ache Madisons.

Edited by sandy101, 26 July 2017 - 23:15.

#131 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 22:49

Harlen is still at it @ eighty three years young....................follow the...........

Fred

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."

~ Harlen J. Ellison

#132 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 22:49

......................................................look above..............................................

Fred

Edited by Freddy, 26 July 2017 - 22:51.

#133 qvxb

qvxb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 22:48

Photos of Mickey Spillane show him seated at a typewriter, but I'll bet the pen he used was a ballpoint. You can write with it and use it to stab a gangster or a Communist.

#134 penznmaine

penznmaine

Penznmaine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 13:09

https://www.thegentl...famous-authors/

#135 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 16:37

Unfortunately, that article is completely unreliable. A few facts embedded in a morass of invented falsehoods, illustrated by randomly-chosen images most of which are of modern pens only very loosely connected to the pens discussed in the text.

#136 virgilio

virgilio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 22:45

Re Fluegelfeder's post 19 Jan 2011, for those who do not read German, Hesse said: "Many thanks for the repaired fountain pen. Unfortunately it is now a little broader; it used to be an estra-fine. But I am not what I used to either, so I am satisfied with it all the same."

#137 virgilio

virgilio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:36

LEGE extra FOR estra & used to be either FOR used to either

In reading over these posts I find to my surprise that this text has already been translated by someone else. Compare the two translations and you will see that translations DO vary, just as human personalities.

Sponsored Content

|