What Pens Did/do Famous Writers Use?

Brian C

Any one know what pens famous writers used? You always hear of Mark Twain and Conklins, but what about Joyce, Kerouac, Yeats, Nabokov, Mann, Hemingway or any number of greats. Kind of a real Writers Edition list.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trent

• penrivers

• Freddy

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I remember Hemingway and Montegrappa are somehow connected. Can anyone verify this?

I also read this somewhere, I think on fpn only. I think there was this other post on roughly the same thing.

I read somewhere that Doyle wrote at least one Sherlock Holmes book with a Duofold.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Orhan Pamuk, Nobel prize laureate, uses a fountain pen for his writing, or so I read somewhere. I would like to know which one.

From art of fiction no 187

"When I’m traveling, and not alone at my desk, after a while I get depressed. I’m happy when I’m alone in a room and inventing. More than a commitment to the art or to the craft, which I am devoted to, it is a commitment to being alone in a room. I continue to have this ritual, believing that what I am doing now will one day be published, legitimizing my daydreams. I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health."

Edited by gro

As per my point of view person by person choice make different and they chose this type of pen which provides fully comfort but I want to know more about that if any have more info then serve here I appreciate for that in advance .

Knowing Hemingway's love for very expensive shotguns and rifles it's hard to see him as an Esterbrook man.

In the twenties in Paris he wrote with pencils. He used to carry for them mechanical sharpeners cause with a

pocket knife you lose to much graphite and wood. Once I saw a photo of Kerouac writing with a fountain pen

I think it was a Parker 51 but I am not sure.

In re Hemingway and Montagrappa: Supposedly during World War I, when he was working as an ambulance driver, he spent some time in the city were the Montegrappa factory was and supposedly tested some of their pens. I know in the book "A Moveable Feast" there is a passage about him writing a story in a Paris cafe with a pencil. And I have seen photographs of him using a Parker 51.

Just finished reading a biography of William Somerset Maugham, who used fountain pens fitted with a special collar that weighted then toward the nib end, and he preferred black ink.

Peter Straub, author of "Ghost Story" among other works, has written with Visconti pens, and I read an interview with him in which he talked about visiting the Levenger store in Florida with Neil Gaimen, and the two of them thinking about "writing a novel in gray ink."

Stephen King has mentioned using a Waterman fountain pen -- no mention of model. Anne Tyler ("The Accidental Tourist") has been quoted as using a Parker 75. Jonathan Carroll uses fountain pens, as does Harlan Ellison (when he isn't using one of his prized manual typewriters).

I'm certain the Conan Doyle - Duofold connection is true. In the new BBC series, which is set in modern London, Holmes examines an addressed envelope and comments that it was written with a Parker Duofold...

I've seen a Red Duofold peeking out the pocket of Robert Fulghum's bib overalls. (All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Sylvia Plath used a black Shaeffer- George Borrow used a pencil or dip pen. Anne Frank used a 'no-name' German FP and I use a Lamy 2000 :rolleyes:

Edited by garnet

Lamy 2000 xf

PELIKAN 800 (Binder xxxf) Green striated.

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf

Collection of 200+ Wyverns

• 2 weeks later...

I read an interview with sci-fi author Neal Stephenson and he uses fountain pens to write the first draft of his books.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Auster writes in fountain pen. He has made reference to Auster-like protagonists using them as well, and writing in various kinds of notebooks. Most notably (ha) in Oracle Night (2003) in which a major plot point hinges on a specific kind of Portuguese notebook. Also Dylan Thomas used a Parker 51, and is pictured with it (and a cigarette and a drink) often. Mary Gordon talks about her choice of pen specifically in this NY Times Article, with a shout out to Art Brown.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/books/070599gordon-writing.html

Jack Kerouac was, famously, a typewriter man. The "original scroll" edition of On The Road contains photos of the manuscript, which appears to bear editing marks in pencil.

Happiness is an Indian ED!