Caran D'ache Leman Review

lewis

I've added a few pens since writing this review; Visconti HS, Conway Stewart Winston, Pelikan M800, Duofold True Blue, all fabulous pens with distinct qualities. However out of all my pens, the Leman remains the elite. I love it!

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lewis

• jar

• titrisol

• Frac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never used anything by this company before, but I need to change that after reading this review. Gorgeous pen.

• 4 months later...

As I've just received a Safran Leman from a friend and I already had a black one, I now have 4 Leman just swapping the caps .....

fpn_1424425062___thi4401.jpgfpn_1424425273___thi4400.jpgfpn_1424425295___thi4403.jpg

Edited by Thier.

They look really fantastic I'm sure I will have it, after my another dream pen. My choice is Scarlet Red. Also thinking about buy it in Geneva, I really love that city, its amazingly beautiful, cherish the time, what I spent there.

• 2 months later...

I'Ve seen a picture of the new Leman Caviar but impossible to see it " live". My belgian dealer didn't received it and, last week, the " Penshop" at Regent Street London hadn't received it .....

• 9 months later...

I got one of these 20 years ago, as a present when I finished college

I agree is beautifully made and works great... I do not use it often as I'm afraid to lose it or break it

it is the black lacquer version with gold nib and gold accents However the clip is different!

Edited by titrisol

I never know they made pens too. Until one day I walked into a local pen store and saw them on display. I didn't think much about them but after reading doing some research and reading reviews on it, it changed my mind. Maybe someday I will add one to my collection.

• 3 weeks later...

The Caran d´Ache Leman is one of my favourite pens I have a Fine Nib and for me is spot on in terms of smoothness, very god but not in excess.

The model is underrated when you compare with other pens in the same price range.

Thanks, yes I have taken it out of storage and it is an good pen

I will try to jot a review in the next weeks

Yours is the earlier Genève.

• 5 months later...

I have recently gotten a Madison bicolor (silver cap, black lacquer barrel). Absolutely beautiful pen. The cap comes off and on with an authoritative click. Wonderful writer. The lacquer over brass and quality of the rhodium plating make my Pelikans look and feel like cheap plastic in comparison.

My only complaint. Posted, the cap is not stable. It tends to want to work itself off as I write. A really annoying fault in an otherwise perfect pen. Does the Leman have the same issue?

It may as well seem CdA might be maing rounds now as they just recently enter my country but I'm not yet confident with the brand's pricing in my country... I already know they make pens but then again... I'm just basing my info from looking at japanese pen magazines... The 849 BP is relatively affordable though and is equally good looking compared to a boring parker jotter LOL

My only complaint. Posted, the cap is not stable. It tends to want to work itself off as I write. A really annoying fault in an otherwise perfect pen. Does the Leman have the same issue?

I now realize that if you firmly seat the cap when posting it will stay put. Needs some force to lock on to the barrel.

• 2 months later...

Six years later and this pen is still magnificent. The barrel twist has developed a little squeak now but other than that, it's perfect.

My collection has grown significantly in the interim but this still remains a favourite.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

If you wish to silent the squeak - just a pin drop of pure silicon grease works marvey. Have done to all my Caran d'Ache, Sailor that have a o-ring.

Moen faucet grease is an easy to find version of grease if needed.

These are amazing pens! I have known of their existence since my early days of collecting. But the price compared to its fairly conservative styling has keep it at a distance while I was distracted by more distinctively designed pens and more gaudy finishes.

I now have the a Varius Rubracer and a Bicolor Leman, both in their double broad. The Leman I have self ground to an italic and it's one of my daily carry. It's an amazing pen that's well made enough to feel special but functions as a work horse pen.

• 2 months later...

I have just acquired my first Leman in rhodium and medium blue, and unscrewing the barrel from the section seems to take a lot of effort (and many, many turns), and as someone mentioned earlier is a very squeaky procedure. Is this normal? Will the aforementioned grease improve both aspects or should I be returning the pen?

I have to say I haven't found the build quality as remarkable as I expected, although I can see the pen lasting many years without issue. Maybe I'm spoiled because I have some other very fine pens which seem more impressive. Both St Dupont and Cartier appear far more precision engineered and smooth in operation, if perhaps slightly less robust.