Vintage Wahl Eversharp (have Questions)

veganmark

Ok Folks, I've posted on the fpn many times but this is my first posting under this group. I purchased an early model wahl eversharp on ebay awhile ago. Originally I thought it was without a breather tube but, alas, I discovered a breather tube stuck between the rubber sac and the pen wall. Excitedly I attacked the breather tube and my pen is back in business.

However, I do have a few questions for you. Forgive me if they've already been asked but i couldn't find anything and I need to know as this is my first Wahl Eversharp and I'm smitten with it. It's a medium semi-flex and writes beautifully.

Ok, so for my questions.

1. How do I proper flush ink from this pen and prepare it to be be re-inked with a new color?

2. The clip that is used to pull ink into the barrel of the pen was leaking last night. Did I flush my pen incorrectly between inks? The "clip" isn't leaking anymore but what did I do to cause this?

Ok I think that's it. This is a great frigging pen and works well for a southpaw like me. It's a very fluid, smooth writing pen.

Marcos

Be nice, cause wherever you go...there you are!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• veganmark

• Roger W.

• hawkgnat

• Procyon

1. Fill it with water and empty it out several times, until the water runs clear.

2. I think by "clip" you mean the lever? If so, there shouldn't be any liquids inside the barrel except for the ink inside the sac. If there is ink leaking out of the lever, that probably means you have a hole in your sac, and it will need to be replaced. If you have water coming out of the lever, then you probably got some in there while flushing. That really shouldn't happen, as you should fill the pen the same way as you would with ink, and none should get in the pen outside of the sac. Either way, you should probably remove the section from the pen and dry out the interior as best you can, as leaving moisture inside the barrel can corrode the metal parts of the pen.

I was a little confused by your post. What model of Wahl Eversharp is it? If it is a lever-filling pen with a sac, there should be no breather tube. When you say you "attacked" the breather tube, do you mean you removed it? Or did you install it someplace?

If you don't know what model it is, maybe a picture?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

I was a little confused by your post. What model of Wahl Eversharp is it? If it is a lever-filling pen with a sac, there should be no breather tube. When you say you "attacked" the breather tube, do you mean you removed it? Or did you install it someplace?

If you don't know what model it is, maybe a picture?

My guess is a skyline or symphony, which are lever filling, and do have breather tubes.

Sorry, it's a skyline and it does have a breather tube. I was a little aggressive with refilling when i discovered the breather tube and removed the tube and flushed out the pen barrel and the nib with water cause i was worried about putting too much stress on the lever. I don't believe there is a hole in the sac as it is very new. I suspect now that this may have been so residual blue ink that was in the barrel after flushing several times. I guess I need to empty the pen flush out everything then pull out the hair dryer or lay everything out on the counter to dry for a day or so.

Thanks again folks. It helps to have people on this forum that have the same type of pen and can advise you properly.

I know some folks use shellac to hold the sac in place but mine was just freely set in. Also, how many times should I pull the lever to fill? Three or four times seemed like enough or was it too much?

Edited by veganmark

Marcos

If you don't shellac it in, it will leak. That isn't an optional step.

As for the number of times to pull the lever, one is enough, although more won't hurt the pen or anything.

Interesting - when you said it was an early model Wahl Eversharp, I didn't even think of a Skyline. To me that's almost a modern pen. Just shows how different perspectives can influence your ideas.

I actually have one Skyline, but it has always worked fine, so I have never taken it apart. I didn't realize they had a breather tube (and I still can't imagine why), but I actually learned something here (thanks to hawkgnat) - so that's good. They are usually great writers, so I hope you enjoy yours!

Interesting - when you said it was an early model Wahl Eversharp, I didn't even think of a Skyline. To me that's almost a modern pen. Just shows how different perspectives can influence your ideas.

I actually have one Skyline, but it has always worked fine, so I have never taken it apart. I didn't realize they had a breather tube (and I still can't imagine why), but I actually learned something here (thanks to hawkgnat) - so that's good. They are usually great writers, so I hope you enjoy yours!

That's where the skyline name comes from, supposedly the breather tube helps control the ink flow in changing pressure situations, so it can be used during air travel. I wouldn't consider it an "early model" either, but when he mentioned breather tubes the possibilities were limited.

In my mind, "modern" vs. "vintage" usually comes down to pre or post BP.

That's where the skyline name comes from, supposedly the breather tube helps control the ink flow in changing pressure situations, so it can be used during air travel. I wouldn't consider it an "early model" either, but when he mentioned breather tubes the possibilities were limited.

In my mind, "modern" vs. "vintage" usually comes down to pre or post BP.

Thanks Hawkgnat, you put it all together for me. Skyline and air travel - now it makes sense.

Since I decided I couldn't realistically collect everything, I decided to basically stop at the end of the 1930's. So that's kind of what I think of as "vintage" - although, it's completely arbitrary on my part, of course.

Well guys my eversharp skyline is vintage in that it's older than me. lol. Anything older than me I consider vintage. :roflmho:

Marcos

I know some folks use shellac to hold the sac in place but mine was just freely set in. Also, how many times should I pull the lever to fill? Three or four times seemed like enough or was it too much?

The ink in the barrel is leaking from the unsealed nipple/sac joint. That's bad.

The nifty thing that the breather tube does is let you fill the sac more fully. If you leave the nib and front of the section in ink the whole time, you'll notice that the second time you work the lever you get more bubbles. That's air expelling from the top of the sac via the tube, which gets you more ink in the sac. At whatever point you stop getting bubbles (second, third, etc.) is when it's as full as it's going to get. Two or three seems to do it.

Having filled the same pen with and without the tube, I can say you get significantly more ink with the tube (unless it's a really short tube).

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

Hey folks can we use any other types of glue for adhering the sac to the inside barrel of the pen? I can't use shellac for ethical reasons. Specifically, I'm vegan and shellac isn't. It's made from the wings of beetles and this goes against my ethical beliefs. So, thoughts/suggestions?

Marcos

Hey folks can we use any other types of glue for adhering the sac to the inside barrel of the pen? I can't use shellac for ethical reasons. Specifically, I'm vegan and shellac isn't. It's made from the wings of beetles and this goes against my ethical beliefs. So, thoughts/suggestions?

I believe the raw material for shellac is excreted (much like honeydew) and left as a deposit on tree bark, which is then harvested. Cochineal dye was once made from the wings of these insects, not shellac. It's more like beetle pee than beetle wings (though one may find bug parts in lower grades of shellac, I suppose, but its the lighter stuff that's used for sac glue). Morally it should be about like using fertilizer in your garden. Hope this helps.

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

teej, actually it's not. A vegan will not use anything from an animal. I have eco friendly glue in my home that I use for most things. Yes, sometimes we have to compromise. Driving a car or riding a bike is a compromise because the tires and components have animal by products but we do the best we can. However, shellac is one of those products I learned very early on is a no no. I've been a vegan for 25 years so this one item I know I can't use. I did see that a website has some kind of cement for rubber sacs. It was either the fountain pen hospital or another site. I think i'll email them and ask about the ingredients. The exception I make to this rule, and I'm not promoting but just giving you an example, is Mr. Ellie Pooh Paper. Mr Ellie Poo Paper is actually made from Elephant dung and rice. It is sanitized, dyed and made into gift wrap, journals, papers, etc. The papers, unfortunately, aren't very good for writing on with fountain pens but I just brought this up as an example. you see the elephants are considered a nuisance in Sri Lanka. As a result of a very savvy Doctor, these animals now have purpose and an entire village is excited to have work and be paid fair wages for their products. So, by putting these animals to work it is actually saving their lives and I know that purchasing some of their products is actually giving the humans a reason to save the animals. It's only a temporary solution because the animals should not be indentured but atleast they're alive. Anyway, if you want to check out their site feel free. This is the only company that I, as a vegan, will knowingly buy animal based products from. Mr Ellie Pooh

Marcos

I will be interested in hearing what you find out about the sac glue. My guess is that it is shellac. Its what the industry has always used.

Actually you can use any good watertight glue. The reason for using shellac is that its bond will break with moderate heat, and it can be removed from the nipple fairly easily. If you use something like super glue (cyanoacrilic) it will be much more difficult to subsequently remove without damaging the nipple.

Some people use clear fingernail polish as a sac adhesive. I prefer shellac, which I blend with alcohol and shellac flake, but I'm not a vegan.

Cliff

Oh fingernail polish!!! I have some vegan fingernail polish that's clear. Believe it or not I bought it because it's great to coat "copper" rings and bracelets with. It creates a thin film that will not come off when it comes in contact with the skin so no "green" finger or wrists. Hmm, there's a thought I may try it and see how it works. Great suggestion.

Marcos

Ok another question for you experts here. How can I tell if the sac in my pen is the right size? I noticed on pensacs.com there are two tapered model sacs for my pen. One is a 16 1/2 - 2 1/4 taper and the other is a 16 - 2 5/8 taper. The sac in my pen seems a little small for this pen but this is the first Wahl I've ever owned so I'm just trying to determine before I glue it in that it's the right "size." Any thoughts on how to figure this out?

Thanks,

Mark

Marcos

• 6 months later...

Just updating this thread with some information on shellac. My purpose in updating is for education and not for debating. I just want you all to understand why I can't use shellac.

Shellac Statistics

* Approximately 300,000 lac insects are killed to produce 1kg of lac.5

* Lac is made up of 25% insect debris.3

* Annual production of lac is estimated at 20,000 tonnes globally.1

* India and Thailand are the main producers of lac, together generating 85% of the global yield.1

* India has 181 lac processing centres.8

* The main importers of lac products are Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Italy and USA.1

I have read about palm shellac and it's use in repairing pens. Apparently, palm shellac is not shellac at all but rosin and castor oil but it doesn't soften easily so I don't know if this would be a workable glue for adhering my sac. Right now I'm in limbo because I am not using my wahl. It was leaking like crazy on me but there are no holes in the sac. I also read that we shouldn't use nail polish in place of shellac because it's not good for the cellulose and it also doesn't create a good seal, which is why my eversharp keeps leaking on me.

I'm hoping that someone reading this thread can verify if palm shellac can be used to glue the sac to the pen and where I might be able to find it? Ever site I've searched on shows shellac glue but I get nothing when I search for palm shellac.

Marcos

I'm hoping that someone reading this thread can verify if palm shellac can be used to glue the sac to the pen and where I might be able to find it? Ever site I've searched on shows shellac glue but I get nothing when I search for palm shellac.

Mark...Palm shellac or *Sheaffer's thread sealant* {two ingredients rosin+castor oil} is used for sealing...

for example Parker "51" hood or section on Sheaffer's vac fillers..Only for this purpose...

Google* and you will find where to purchase...

Good luck,

Fred

Just updating this thread with some information on shellac. My purpose in updating is for education and not for debating. I just want you all to understand why I can't use shellac.

Shellac Statistics

* Approximately 300,000 lac insects are killed to produce 1kg of lac.5

* Lac is made up of 25% insect debris.3

* Annual production of lac is estimated at 20,000 tonnes globally.1

* India and Thailand are the main producers of lac, together generating 85% of the global yield.1

* India has 181 lac processing centres.8

* The main importers of lac products are Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Italy and USA.1

I have read about palm shellac and it's use in repairing pens. Apparently, palm shellac is not shellac at all but rosin and castor oil but it doesn't soften easily so I don't know if this would be a workable glue for adhering my sac. Right now I'm in limbo because I am not using my wahl. It was leaking like crazy on me but there are no holes in the sac. I also read that we shouldn't use nail polish in place of shellac because it's not good for the cellulose and it also doesn't create a good seal, which is why my eversharp keeps leaking on me.

I'm glad that this industry is producing jobs for a valued product. Makes one wish they had more uses for shellac. I did used to use nail polish as Frank DuBiel advocated it and I could just take it from my wife but, shellac is the superior product. That we kill some bugs to make it just shows that bugs have their good points too. Beats those darn Japanese beatles that eat on my blueberries. Of course I can't kill enough of those as there are millions of them in the corn and bean fields surrounding the house.

Roger W.