Edison / Hakumin Project No 2. We Need Your Help!

SincerelySpicy

What do you think?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the next Edison Pen / Hakumin Urushi LE as a Clipped or a Clipless Herald?

Apart from the interesting discussion about the definition of an LE, have we about finished with the clip or clipless poll? Have there been any more votes recently? (Yes, I'm getting a little impatient for the announcement of what the next one will actually be...)

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Splicer

• SincerelySpicy

• watch_art

Apart from the interesting discussion about the definition of an LE, have we about finished with the clip or clipless poll? Have there been any more votes recently? (Yes, I'm getting a little impatient for the announcement of what the next one will actually be...)

We'll let the thread simmer some more, but it looks like clipless has the lead.

We're hoping to announce the Herald project next week. If not, definitely before the end of September, barring something unforeseen.

Thanks, Kay.

Any pen made after a Limited Edition that is the same model or shape should not be easily mistaken for the Limited Edition.

Yet you will sell black ebonite Heralds identical to the Tuxedo LE in every way except for the numbered engraving.

As well you should. I'm just saying that ultimately it's the numbered engraving or certificate of provenance that makes something an LE. I sell limited edition prints of my artwork, but that won't stop me from making a calendar featuring images sold in limited runs. The paper and printing process will be different, but the images will be the same.

I'm not even saying there ought to be hard and fast rules, but the question is interesting and worthy of discussion. Perhaps there ought to be a separate thread as you suggested.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

Any pen made after a Limited Edition that is the same model or shape should not be easily mistaken for the Limited Edition.

Yet you will sell black ebonite Heralds identical to the Tuxedo LE in every way except for the numbered engraving.

As well you should. I'm just saying that ultimately it's the numbered engraving or certificate of provenance that makes something an LE. I sell limited edition prints of my artwork, but that won't stop me from making a calendar featuring images sold in limited runs. The paper and printing process will be different, but the images will be the same.

I'm not even saying there ought to be hard and fast rules, but the question is interesting and worthy of discussion. Perhaps there ought to be a separate thread as you suggested.

Hi Splicer

I apologize for taking a while to respond to this. Very hectic weekend.

When I did the Tuxedo LE, there were two items that made this LE. The ring, and the engraving.

As I stated above, an LE should not be easily recognized for a non LE.

Can your black ebonite Herald be easily be mistaken for any other black Herald in ebonite? Yes, except for the engraving, the ring, and another item...

I think that a difference here is how the pen was marketed with an accompanied accessory.

It was marketed with a ring that was a matching ebonite, and also titanium.

Will Edison ever offer another Black Herald with a matching black ring? No, of course not, no matter what the material.

However, could I do another LE that has a red pen with a red ring? I think that's OK, but I have no plans.

I don't think that anyone buying the Tuxedo LE ever thought that I would completely stop making black ebonite Heralds individually.

But of course, none would be black ebonite and marked "Tuxedo", and none would be accompanied by a matching ring.

I don't think that you are offended that I'm still making these pen individually, without the Tuxedo engraving and without the ring. I think that you are simply exploring the definition of LE, right?

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Having seen Ernest's other urushi work, I can honestly say that I've never found the clip distracting. So long as it doesn't take away from the piece, I say go with a clip.

I don't think that anyone buying the Tuxedo LE ever thought that I would completely stop making black ebonite Heralds individually.

But of course, none would be black ebonite and marked "Tuxedo", and none would be accompanied by a matching ring.

I don't think that you are offended that I'm still making these pen individually, without the Tuxedo engraving and without the ring. I think that you are simply exploring the definition of LE, right?

I can't speak for the others but I never thought that you would (or should) stop making black ebonite Heralds. My guess is that no one else did either.

I am not at all offended. It just seems there's more to the question than any of the cut and dried answers I've read. My use of the example is purely rhetorical. I apologize for any concern I've caused you in that regard.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

I can't speak for the others but I never thought that you would (or should) stop making black ebonite Heralds. My guess is that no one else did either.

I am not at all offended. It just seems there's more to the question than any of the cut and dried answers I've read. My use of the example is purely rhetorical. I apologize for any concern I've caused you in that regard.

No offense or concern was taken on my side....no sweat. You had legitimate questions, and I hope that my answers were OK, sounds like they were.

Bottom line, there is not clear-cut definition of LE. I can assure that I will always err on the side of conservative when it comes to pens that might be considered similar to an LE. I have no plans on bending rules, even there are no clear cut rules.