See There A R E Still Deals Out There...

OcalaFlGuy

I needed ANOTHER Copper like I need a bleedin' hole in my head. They aren't even my most favorite color but somehow, I've ended up with more of them than any other color.

Then I saw this one. I was attracted to the large amount of Root Beer Streakinicitiness going on in the Copper, almost looked like woodgrain to me. We'll see if it looks as fun in person. Appears to have a good J-bar and Sac, $24 shipped.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_XB-IYvzxVyY/TIwCmi-8dII/AAAAAAAABoI/Z-JahdYF6uY/s400/CopperWoodie1.jpghttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_XB-IYvzxVyY/TIwCm0u8LeI/AAAAAAAABoM/5Id51TsiAcA/s400/CopperWoodie2.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Rabbit

• esterbex

• 79spitfire

What's going on here? Must be the approach of autumn. My collection has seen the recent addition of a beautiful, brown/root beer, Estie which has some wonderfully interesting dark streaks. Paid the same as you, Bruce. It came with a #9556 nib, it did need a new sac.

I have loaded it with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan ink, it's a nice match to the pen. Was not sure I would like brown ink, but it looks great. I am usually so partial to blue and green, as I said, it must be the time of year.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Great minds think alike? ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thank you, Bruce. I will take that as a true compliment. When I purchased this brown streaker, I was thinking, just as you mentioned, "it looks like woodgrain". My pen is really beautiful, much more interesting than my photo shows it. My photo just does not capture the full range of cooper to brown hues and the wonderful pattern.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Great minds think alike? ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thank you, Bruce. I will take that as a true compliment. When I purchased this brown streaker, I was thinking, just as you mentioned, "it looks like woodgrain". My pen is really beautiful, much more interesting than my photo shows it. My photo just does not capture the full range of cooper to brown hues and the wonderful pattern.

Yet another infected by that infectious Esite strain, Streakerdromedia.

:ninja:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

This ends tomorrow....3 Copper Esties

Would be a good deal if the popcorn bids don't blow it up.....

Glad I can resist the urge.

Ahh yes, I looked at this listing, but the more I looked at it, the more I decided to pass. First, I'd call it 2.5 since one is missing a clip and that would bug me. Second, the seller actually did a better than average job photographing the tips too, and I can see that they are pretty worn down... they might still be functional, but definitely not like-new.

--Stephen

This ends tomorrow....3 Copper Esties

Would be a good deal if the popcorn bids don't blow it up.....

Glad I can resist the urge.

Ahh yes, I looked at this listing, but the more I looked at it, the more I decided to pass. First, I'd call it 2.5 since one is missing a clip and that would bug me. Second, the seller actually did a better than average job photographing the tips too, and I can see that they are pretty worn down... they might still be functional, but definitely not like-new.

--Stephen

New nibs are readily available and not that expensive. I'd probably replace those 2668's with 9xxx's anyway, though I'd probably keep the flat feed one. That Trans J's clip is unfortunate, but caps aren't that hard to come by either as there are lots of parts pens for cheap as well. Matching the shade of copper might be challenging....Bonne chance to whoever wins these.

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

New nibs are readily available and not that expensive. I'd probably replace those 2668's with 9xxx's anyway, though I'd probably keep the flat feed one. That Trans J's clip is unfortunate, but caps aren't that hard to come by either as there are lots of parts pens for cheap as well. Matching the shade of copper might be challenging....Bonne chance to whoever wins these.

Ahh you know, at first I didn't even pay attention that it was the transitional pen with the broken clip. That might be easier to fix than I thought if it's the kind that has the jewel that unscrews. As of last week I have a transitional cap right now that is destroyed and would be a perfect clip and jewel donor. (My cap is destroyed because a little experiment to fix a loose cap band was a complete failure.)

Yes, I agree with replacing the 2xxx nibs. But if they had been all three 9xxx nibs to start with, then I'd definitely consider it. :)

--Stephen

Stephen, all Transitonal caps (at least the full sized Trans) have screw out jewels if it's the original cap and not a switched out DJ cap (There are Transitionals that had marked clips so that is not a full sign of a switched cap.) Be careful taking the jewel out or you'll shear the button off. DON'T use the clip as a leverage point. Use a rubber gripper to the top of the jewel to evenly distribute the turning force. It won't hurt to fill the cap up with lighter fluid, the naphtha will run down past the inner cap to the jewel retainer and act as a lube.

Bruce in Ocala, FL Who-is-currently-up-to-his-butt-in-Trans-dilemmas :(

Well, not too bad of a weekend on The Bay, A nice clean Blue DJ for $20.50 shipped and...ready for this???

My very first Black Estie. :yikes:

A 3 ribber Transitional with a 2668 in it for a whole $23.63 shipped. :thumbup:

I've always wondered if I could make one look like Onyx, I guess now I'll be able to find out. Oh and that's

a Trans of every color now too! (Except White) WooNHoo!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, not too bad of a weekend on The Bay, A nice clean Blue DJ for $20.50 shipped and...ready for this???

A 3 ribber Transitional with a 2668 in it for a whole $23.63 shipped. :thumbup:

I've always wondered if I could make one look like Onyx, I guess now I'll be able to find out. Oh and that's

a Trans of every color now too! (Except White) WooNHoo!

Bruce in Ocala, FL

You go boy! I want to be just like you when I grow up!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

...ready for this???

:roflmho: Wow, that's amazing. I have so many black Esties that I almost don't know what to do with them! And it seems like I have more black ones with issues than black ones that are OK. It seems like most of the time when I spot an unusual nib that I want or some other oddity that it just happens to be on a black Estie or sold with a lot that includes one or more black.

My first "Made In England" Estie is black, and my first "Made in Canada" Estie is black too.

That transitional cap that I destroyed recently was black... so I didn't feel too bad. ;)

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

The pen is not an M. It is a very late production J series. Most likely an LJ.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Who nailed this M for $60?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:B:BCA:US:1123

The pen is not an M. It is a very late production J series. Most likely an LJ.

Todd

It's the poor man's icicle. ;) (though this one seemed to go really high) The plastic that they are made from is quite flimsy compared to an earlier production pen.

--Stephen

Boy, that wide cap band fooled me.

Look at the clip. It is the tell. Same clip showed up on felt tip pens. It was near the end.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Boy, that wide cap band fooled me.

Rabbit is right about the plastic and it's also more prone to shrink and help turn that wide cap band into a spinner. It could be

just the pics, but to me, that looks like it may be happening to this pen.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Rabbit is right about the plastic and it's also more prone to shrink and help turn that wide cap band into a spinner. It could be

just the pics, but to me, that looks like it may be happening to this pen.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

It definitely happened to mine.

There are several variations of these, some of which look more like a normal LJ, such as a normal clip with just a few late features such as the weird lever or imprint, but the one in the auction, like mine, seems to be of the very latest ones with the flimsy broad USA Esterbrook clip.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/4987436832_08bc3288ff_b.jpg

Note horizontal imprint.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/4987436874_4e9a0df877.jpg

Really small lever:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/4987436918_294d8ee797.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4987437060_7764ae17ee.jpg

Pretty normal looking jewel, but the metal trim around the jewel is simpler:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4986836183_ab3ea6bf0b_z.jpg

Even the section feels like it's made from a cheaper plastic, and has some weird ridges in it... probably to help it stay in better?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4987436976_d489df8406_z.jpg

And lastly, the plastic is very weird. You can almost see through it if you hold it up to a light. Yes, a normal red icicle behaves this way too, but the normal red icicle plastic feels stronger when you hold it in your hand. This later plastic is very flexible.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/4987437134_7d5594632a_b.jpg

--Stephen