The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Vs Platinum

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:23

I know that both these companies are closely related, retired expert employees from Platinum continue to make the exclusive Nakaya pens. However, I notice that certain pens like the Celluloid (Goildfish/tortoise/etc.) and the Briar wood models, are sold under both the brands and the pens are apparently identical. The Platinum branded ones are sold periodically on ebay and are obtainable at quite good prices as compared to the MSRP. The Nakaya ones, as far as I have been able to see, are purchasable only at full MSRP.

So other than the nib inspcription, is there any diffrence between the Nakaya Briar and the Platinum Briar and celluloid pens? i want to try a nakaya/platinum but I want to buy the cheaper one if they are identical except for the branding. I will be happy to receive your advice.

Thanks!
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 daryllwin

daryllwin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:49

I think the Nakaya ones come with a custom nibs that they make according to your writing style. Not sure if there's any other difference.

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 16:34

The designs are nearly identical with a few key differences. The Nakaya nibs are 14k while many of the Platinum nibs are 18k. Nakaya nibs come in sizes and styles that you won't find in a Platinum. The SEF, EF, flexy F M B BB, elastic nibs are all found only on Nakaya pens. Nakaya can also supply nibs in custom finishes like ruthenium.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2010 - 17:50

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Do Nakaya sell just the section customised as per the individual requirements?

Thanks!
hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2010 - 18:01

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Do Nakaya sell just the section customised as per the individual requirements?

Thanks!
hari

Hi Hari,

I don't believe Nakaya sells anything but complete pens. I have had a couple of pens made up by them and the indication was that "spare parts" were not for sale. But I will admit that communication was sometimes difficult, especially the first time I got them to make me a pen; so I may be wrong about this.
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2010 - 18:43

Thanks Richard, I think I will first try the platinum to see if I like the pens, then I will progress on to the Nakaya.

#7 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Hunter-killer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2010 - 21:30

Hari,

If you intend to get the celluloid pens then you'd want to try the Platinum ones first.

Not only are they available at cheaper prices vis-a-vis the MSRP, but there's more variety available - 6 colours ( Kinggyo, Ishigaki, Bekkou, Jade, Sakura and Midnight Ocean) vs 3 for Nakaya - I have all of them - and with the exception of the Midninght Ocean, which come fitted with a 18K nib, the others are all 14K with a nice spring to it. The feeds are interchangeable with Nakaya's and apart from the markings on the nib and trim I can't find any discernible difference from their full MSRP-priced Nakaya cousins.

Go for Nakaya if you're looking for urushi, maki-e or custom pens, or models with no equivalent in Platinum's catalogue. Otherwise get the Platinum version in order to save money, unless you must really have the Nakaya/ Nakata name on your pen for no other reason than as a matter of snob appeal. :roflmho:

Shahrin B)

#8 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:56

Wheres the best place to find the Platinum Briarwood? I've been drooling over this pen in the Nakaya version and decided I don't need the name on the nib that bad.

#9 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• 1,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:52

I've got both. The difference seems to be in the quality of the workmanship. Nakaya's are advertised as hand made and, holding a Platinum and a Nakaya, I believe the ads. My Platinum pens are excellent writers. They perform faultlessly. The Nakaya pens have the same confirmation (size, shape) but they appear to be of much higher quality materials & workmanship. Also, as has been said be other posters, there are more limited nibs with the Platinum line. I was able to find a broad nib for my President. But I got two of the Nakaya celluloid with incredibly smooth double broad nibs.

#10 zenshrink

zenshrink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:41

I have a Platinum maki-e with an 18k double broad nib and it puts all of my Nakayas to shame. Nakayas are beautiful but the custom made nib stuff is nonsense in my humble opinion and in the opinion of several nameless experts I have spoken with. Platinums are very fine pens with great nibs. You can't beat the art work on the Nakayas, however, it is stunning.

#11 Felix1

Felix1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:08

... in the opinion of several nameless experts I have spoken with.

Sorry, but I won't be placing any faith nor trust in the opinion of some "nameless experts" who are unwilling to stand up and be counted.

I've got five Nakayas and one Platinum and IMO you've got the nib story just bassackwards.

But then I'm a user, not an expert.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

#12 zenshrink

zenshrink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:16

I have four Nakayas. Just my own humble non expert opinion. Didn't want to name anyone without their permission.

#13 Samovar

Samovar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:40

I visited Nakaya and and all their nibs were in baby food jars waiting to be fitted. The major difference with Platinum is the fact they will tune the nib according to your writing position. I don't own a Nakaya yet... but all my Platinum pens are solid writers.

I just ordered a pen from Hakase and the owner studied my hand writing and took a bunch of notes on how to tune the nib.

In the end, I guess it's all about the brand name and the fact that your nib will be tune.

I would probably go for the Platinum and keep my money for some nice urushi.
Visit my food blog
Foodie Topography

#14 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:59

i think if you're looking for a pen design that's available in both Platinum and Nakaya, i'd go with Platinum. it's much cheaper and works just as well. however, if you're looking for something that's a little different in design from what Platinum offers and would prefer that personal tuning preferences, then i'd go with Nakaya. i own a couple of Nakaya FPs and happy with them.

-rudy-
-rudy-

Sponsored Content

|