The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Non Pen Items Have You Used For Our Hobby?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:12

Just make sure you whip out the correct case when someone asks you for a smoke. Noodler's Red-Black probably doesn't have a good effect if inhaled!

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#102 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:18

Here is a cigarette case I converted as a ink cartridge carrier.

Closed
Posted Image

Open
Posted Image

The case was only 5 bucks at a tobacco shop. The red and green magnets keep the cartridges from sliding around.
A 1.5 ml capsule for black ink held in place by dental wax. A 3 ml syringe.
5 Sheaffer cartridges refilled with Noodler's Red-Black. 4 LAMY cartridges and 1 empty Sheaffer cartridge.

this is clever!

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#103 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:29

Great ideas Ashby! :thumbup:
Must look for silver wraps.

+1 on that.
I had been wondering if the silvercloth wraps for sterling flatware would work. I had bought 6 yards of silvercloth years ago in order to make some for my grandmother's flatware, but never got around to it.
(For those who aren't familiar with it, silvercloth has silver fibers imbedded in the fabric -- the cloth will tarnish before the contents, so it's used for silver flatware (rolls) or bags for larger pieces like serving platters and pitchers.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#104 arcaneradio

arcaneradio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:35

Actually a Noodler's Red-Black is quite pleasant after dinner.

(Surgeon General's Warning: Smoking Noodler's Red-Black may stain your throat a dark burgandy, not to mention what it will do to your lungs.)

:ltcapd: :roflmho:

Edited by arcaneradio, 06 June 2012 - 13:37.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

#105 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:36

Great idea ...

Here is a cigarette case I converted as a ink cartridge carrier.

Closed
Posted Image

Open
Posted Image

The case was only 5 bucks at a tobacco shop. The red and green magnets keep the cartridges from sliding around.
A 1.5 ml capsule for black ink held in place by dental wax. A 3 ml syringe.
5 Sheaffer cartridges refilled with Noodler's Red-Black. 4 LAMY cartridges and 1 empty Sheaffer cartridge.

#106 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 13:45

So, not being a smoker, did that cigarette case come with the stretch elastic bands, or did you have to add them on separately?
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#107 arcaneradio

arcaneradio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 15:07

So, not being a smoker, did that cigarette case come with the stretch elastic bands, or did you have to add them on separately?

The elastic bands came with it. They would normally hold cigarettes in place.
The case dimensions are roughly 110mm x 70mm x 20mm
This case was designed to hold 100mm cigarettes at about 7 on each side.
Originally I wanted to use it to hold notes and receipts and then I had the epiphany to put ink cartridges in it.

I have further plans to get some Sugru to make better chambers to hold the cartridges in place. I want to add a couple of international standard cartridges to the left over voids in the case as well.

Edited by arcaneradio, 06 June 2012 - 15:10.

#108 Nokin

Nokin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 15:53

I have a Pelikan LE Blue Planet, and althought it has it's own (large) display case and stand, I tend to keep in it this:

Posted Image

I keep it in here because I use the pen often, and I keep it on my desk, so it's safe in here, cocooned in pick & pluck foam and moisture resistant, and protected from any desk-top accidents.
Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#109 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 16:20

I have further plans to get some Sugru

How is Sugru working for you? I keep meaning to try some but whenever I have a project, the web store is out of stock so I end up using something else.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

Posted Image

#110 arcaneradio

arcaneradio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 19:41

I have further plans to get some Sugru

How is Sugru working for you? I keep meaning to try some but whenever I have a project, the web store is out of stock so I end up using something else.

I don't have any yet, I just heard about it about a month or so ago. When I get some and do the mod I'll post about it on this forum.

#111 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 19:55

I'll be looking out for it. :thumbup:

Posted Image

#112 BeachBum

BeachBum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 22:06

The elastic bands came with it. They would normally hold cigarettes in place.
The case dimensions are roughly 110mm x 70mm x 20mm
This case was designed to hold 100mm cigarettes at about 7 on each side.
Originally I wanted to use it to hold notes and receipts and then I had the epiphany to put ink cartridges in it.

Did a search, out of curiosity (seems to happen a lot when I see things on here), on FleaBay and found several similar cases selling in the $2-4 range, including shipping. Hmmm...how would I explain that one to the wife? :hmm1:
“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

#113 Tujack

Tujack

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2012 - 22:53

Made myself a holder for ink sample vials and a pen rest to use with my glass dip pen. I used some old polymer clay scraps and made this. It isn't beautiful but it is functional. Now I no longer have to hold the vial with one hand while trying to dip and write with the other.

Attached Images

• blue pen rest.jpg

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
Einstein

#114 Trillium

Trillium

Inkaholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:01

I have a pen wrap that boasts shallow pockets along the lower edge which are perfect for storing an Altoids "Smalls" tin filled with extra nibs wrapped in cloth scraps.
Why carry extra nibs? Who hasnt found a great deal on a vintage pen inan antique shop that has no nib???

I also use an bulb style ear syringe for flushing out nib/feed units on pens coming out of rotation or getting a fill of a different ink. Remove the nib/feed/section from the pen, fill the syringe with warm water and attach it like a cartridge, then gently but firmly squeeze the syringe over a sink. Voila..clean in just a second or two.

Sponsored Content

|