What Non Pen Items Have You Used For Our Hobby?

Blade Runner

Jmbd7h3,

That box is Sicura Italian Designs. I think it was a Marshalls or Home Goods buy. Inexpensive.

Availability is hit or miss, but you might find something similar.

Edited by Blade Runner

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• DavidHandmade

• jmbd7h3

• ailleurs

Jmbd7h3,

That box is Sicura Italian Designs. I think it was a Marshalls or Home Goods buy. Inexpensive.

Availability is hit or miss, but you might find something similar.

Thanks so much. I've been keeping an eye on TJ Maxx for a year trying to find inexpensive boxes like yours, but I've never found one so nice. You've given me my hope back!

This thread inspired me to go to my newly organized closet and get this salt shaker and its pepper mate. Any day now I expect to find the tops. For now, a makeshift. I poured my five different mixed burgundies into it and surprise! They didn't turn black or brown.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4974260010_2e9d1ed971.jpg

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

Nice topic.

I use a candy tin for storing ink cartridges.

Me, too.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4973642717_98746d9b9e.jpg

Those candy tins are cute.

I use disposable plastic micro bulb pipettes for transferring ink.

I once recommended using plumber's tape to help hold fast a section ring onto the end of the section. I believe it worked.

Nice topic.

I use a candy tin for storing ink cartridges.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/InkCartridges-2010.jpg

Oh yeah! I do this, too, though it doesn't see the light of day much since I discovered piston fillers.

RYan.

I once recommended using plumber's tape to help hold fast a section ring onto the end of the section. I believe it worked.

Another use for plumber's tape, which I learned from AndrewC, is to secure lids on ink bottles when shipping. It's added security for those partially used bottles you might be trading or selling. :)

I use a metal tin (that was used to hold a cosmetic gift set) as a storage box for pens that are out of rotation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Another use for plumber's tape, which I learned from AndrewC, is to secure lids on ink bottles when shipping. It's added security for those partially used bottles you might be trading or selling. :)

:eureka:

I just used plumber's tape this week to fix a Lexon Classic with stripped threads. The threads look fine, but the pen would not stay closed no matter what. With plumber's tape wrapped around the threads a few times, I'm back in business.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

I use a silverware roll-up for a pen case. This one, from the 1920's, is elegantly stitched and has the jeweler's name on it, which gives it more character than the usual "Made in China" label. Also, it's nice to have a pen case that doesn't cost more than the pens inside.

http://ashbridg.com/pen/roll_700.jpg

http://ashbridg.com/pen/roll_370.jpg

My little belt pack holds a mini-Moleskine notebook and some pen accessories. Sheaffer designed a special feed for this 1940's celluloid pen so it can be carried in any position (for purse or vest pocket). Its nice to keep a fountain pen in my belt pack and not worry about leaks.

http://ashbridg.com/pen/maxped_700.jpg

Ashby

Edited by ashbridg

Carpe Stilo

I use an old ceramic tool that was used to clean green ware seams, to clean sac remains from the nipple. One end has a curved cleaning section and the other end is straight and flat. I used it 38 years ago when I was doing ceramics.

The small bottle is used to carry ink with me if I'm going to be out for any length of time. The nozzle is narrow enough to fill converters with out mess.

Thought of another one: q-tips. I use them all the time to wipe out the last drops of water from a pen I've just cleaned, pen caps that have had ink blob in them, etc. I've never put one near a nib or feed, but they work great for other parts of the pen.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.

I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

post-36363-055467400 1284837022.jpg

post-36363-075437400 1284837037.jpg

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

Now that is just plane cool!

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.

I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

Oooh! I like :cloud9:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Me too! I wasn't familiar with Micarta so I googled it and found some fascinating threads. Seems like possibilities are endless, including knife handles (maybe someone could even make pens out of Micarta). Here's one link: My link

Me too! I wasn't familiar with Micarta so I googled it and found some fascinating threads. Seems like possibilities are endless, including knife handles (maybe someone could even make pens out of Micarta). Here's one link: My link

Yes. Micarta is used for many things. I am a custom knifemaker and one of reasons I obtained this piece was for handle material, though I found it to thick for that purpose. I would think it would make beautiful pens and I have seen it come of rod form.