The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Non Pen Items Have You Used For Our Hobby?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:33

Jmbd7h3,

That box is Sicura Italian Designs. I think it was a Marshalls or Home Goods buy. Inexpensive.
Availability is hit or miss, but you might find something similar.

Edited by Blade Runner, 09 September 2010 - 02:35.

Sponsored Content

#42 jmbd7h3

jmbd7h3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:49

Jmbd7h3,

That box is Sicura Italian Designs. I think it was a Marshalls or Home Goods buy. Inexpensive.
Availability is hit or miss, but you might find something similar.

Thanks so much. I've been keeping an eye on TJ Maxx for a year trying to find inexpensive boxes like yours, but I've never found one so nice. You've given me my hope back!

#43 Aunt Jill

Aunt Jill

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 14:50

This thread inspired me to go to my newly organized closet and get this salt shaker and its pepper mate. Any day now I expect to find the tops. For now, a makeshift. I poured my five different mixed burgundies into it and surprise! They didn't turn black or brown.

Posted Image

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

#44 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 14:54

Nice topic.

I use a candy tin for storing ink cartridges.

Me, too.
Posted Image

#45 DavidHandmade

DavidHandmade

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:28

Old prescription bottles are great for storing ink cartridges.

#46 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:23

Those candy tins are cute.

I use disposable plastic micro bulb pipettes for transferring ink.

I once recommended using plumber's tape to help hold fast a section ring onto the end of the section. I believe it worked.

#47 drifting

drifting

scramblin'

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:46

Nice topic.

I use a candy tin for storing ink cartridges.
Posted Image

Oh yeah! I do this, too, though it doesn't see the light of day much since I discovered piston fillers.

RYan.

#48 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 14:16

I once recommended using plumber's tape to help hold fast a section ring onto the end of the section. I believe it worked.

Another use for plumber's tape, which I learned from AndrewC, is to secure lids on ink bottles when shipping. It's added security for those partially used bottles you might be trading or selling. :)

#49 LoveMyLamy

LoveMyLamy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 14:24

I use a metal tin (that was used to hold a cosmetic gift set) as a storage box for pens that are out of rotation.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hope L, hopeless nib nerd
Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com
Posted Image Posted Image

#50 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 14:51

Another use for plumber's tape, which I learned from AndrewC, is to secure lids on ink bottles when shipping. It's added security for those partially used bottles you might be trading or selling. :)

:eureka:

#51 ailleurs

ailleurs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 16:03

I just used plumber's tape this week to fix a Lexon Classic with stripped threads. The threads look fine, but the pen would not stay closed no matter what. With plumber's tape wrapped around the threads a few times, I'm back in business.
read, write, grade essays, repeat

#52 ashbridg

ashbridg

Wide Girth Vintage Sheaffers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:09

I use a silverware roll-up for a pen case. This one, from the 1920's, is elegantly stitched and has the jeweler's name on it, which gives it more character than the usual "Made in China" label. Also, it's nice to have a pen case that doesn't cost more than the pens inside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My little belt pack holds a mini-Moleskine notebook and some pen accessories. Sheaffer designed a special feed for this 1940's celluloid pen so it can be carried in any position (for purse or vest pocket). It’s nice to keep a fountain pen in my belt pack and not worry about leaks.

Posted Image

Ashby

Edited by ashbridg, 12 September 2010 - 02:12.

Carpe Stilo

#53 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:45

Great ideas Ashby! :thumbup:
Must look for silver wraps.

#54 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:45

I use an old ceramic tool that was used to clean green ware seams, to clean sac remains from the nipple. One end has a curved cleaning section and the other end is straight and flat. I used it 38 years ago when I was doing ceramics.

The small bottle is used to carry ink with me if I'm going to be out for any length of time. The nozzle is narrow enough to fill converters with out mess.

#55 ailleurs

ailleurs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 15:04

Thought of another one: q-tips. I use them all the time to wipe out the last drops of water from a pen I've just cleaned, pen caps that have had ink blob in them, etc. I've never put one near a nib or feed, but they work great for other parts of the pen.
read, write, grade essays, repeat

#56 cds

cds

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 19:10

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.
I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

Attached Images

• IMG_2782.jpg
  • IMG_2783.jpg

#57 jmbd7h3

jmbd7h3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:24

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

Now that is just plane cool!

#58 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:10

I finally got tired of not having somewhere to store my inked pens. I have had a large .75" thick piece of Micarta in my shop for about 5 years and have not been able to find a use for it until today. This piece was used to isolate 4160 volt motor leads on a centrifugal water chiller. Now it is being used as a pen stand.
I really like the way Micarta looks after it is sanded down and it always ages to a very nice patina.

Oooh! I like :cloud9:

Posted Image Posted Image

#59 Rena

Rena

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2010 - 13:03

Me too! I wasn't familiar with Micarta so I googled it and found some fascinating threads. Seems like possibilities are endless, including knife handles (maybe someone could even make pens out of Micarta). Here's one link: My link

#60 cds

cds

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 13:24

Me too! I wasn't familiar with Micarta so I googled it and found some fascinating threads. Seems like possibilities are endless, including knife handles (maybe someone could even make pens out of Micarta). Here's one link: My link

Yes. Micarta is used for many things. I am a custom knifemaker and one of reasons I obtained this piece was for handle material, though I found it to thick for that purpose. I would think it would make beautiful pens and I have seen it come of rod form.

Sponsored Content

|